PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter location

Blackballed
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know where the Fuel filter is located on a 98 F-250 light duty 5.4L. Thanks Bill

1992MustangDW
02-23-2009, 02:40 PM
dont know if its the same but I found this on a 99

Fuel filter is in line along the driver's side frame rail. I recommend the following:

(1) disconnect the negative battery cable. When you're messing with raw fuel, you don't want any surprises. Plus, if you have LLS, then disconnecting the battery will take care of disabling it.

(2) lift the vehicle to give you some work room. Use jack stands or ramps--don't rely on the jack.

(3) remove the transfer case skid plate. It's only four bolts, and will give you some much needed work room to disconnect the filter.

(4) you will need a special tool for disconnecting the fuel lines from the filter. KD tools makes a nice one, or there are others.

(5) the fuel line connectors will have a safety retainer to hold them in place. Push up on the retainer to release it from around the connector and slide back on the fuel line out of the way. Place the removal tool around the fuel line, and slide into the fuel line connector. Hold the connector with one hand, while continuing to slide the tool in. You should hear a click to let you know the tool has snapped the connector retainers loose.

(6) hold the fuel filter in one hand while pulling in opposite direction on the fuel line connector. It will take some pressure to pull it off. Be sure to wear safety glasses to avoid fuel in your eyes, and have some rags handy for overspills.

(7) when you get the fuel connector/line removed on one side of the filter, slide a golf tee or equivalent into the exposed stub on the filter. This will keep fuel from spilling everywhere later when you actually remove the filter.

(8) use steps (5)-(7) to remove the other fuel connector from the filter.

(9) the filter has a clamp to hold it in place. Some are held in place with a bolt; others are spring loaded. For this vehicle, I seem to remember it is spring loaded, so you can just push up on the clamp to release.

(10) now, you can remove the old filter. Again, be careful since the filter is stll pretty filled with fuel. I usually invert the filter into my gas can for awhile to let the remaining fuel drain.

(11) position the new filter in the clamp. Be sure to notice the fuel flow arrow on the new filter, and be sure the direction is pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

(12) remaining steps are reverse of above. To re-connect the fuel lines, just push the connector towards the filter until you hear a click, then re-position the safety retainer.

Hope this helps you plan. Don't be discouraged the first time you do this job. Sometimes the fuel connectors are difficult to get to release, even using the special tool. Pushing in on the tool while pushing the connector in the opposite direction against the tool usually will make the connector release.

Blackballed
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the Info. :bigthumb