PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to South Korea

69Cobra
02-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I got a phone call yesterday from my boss asking me if I was sitting down and if I had a passport. It appears that a company we do work for has a $10M job on a military base in South Korea and they want us to do it. The details are still in the works but I'm just trying to figure out what to except while working over there. I heard that you don't pay any taxes so that's a good thing. A friend of mine worked in Germany for a couple of years right out of high school and if I remember right he had to come home for like 1 week every 6-8 weeks or something like that to keep his citizenship anybody know anything about that????? Like I said the details are not worked out yet but I was told it could be anywhere from a 1-3 year project.:cool2:

mustangbangher
02-27-2009, 12:50 PM
My friend is over there, he says it sucks. It all hilly and cold. And there's not much things for american's to do because they are not aloud to go in alot of bars. But he said the woman are good. but that's only 1 guys opinion out of a million.................

MFIELD
02-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I had a friend go over for 6 months and he said we were not liked over there. He was with some other guys from work and went to a resturant and they wouldnt wait on them.

69Cobra
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
What area were the people in that you guys know?

'92Stang
02-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Got sent over to Seoul as a reaction force for the '88 olympics. Spent a little time in Pusan, and Osan as well. I remember thinking the whole country had an odor of rotten azz. Noticed a lot of bars with signs stating, "no foreigners" over their door also. Over all had a pretty good time doing things that wouldn't make mama proud. But, what do you expect from a 20 yo Marine:D

7721Cobra
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow how my experience differs. A year and a half ago my wife and my mom and dad went to seoul. (My Dad was in the war, and wanted to go back to see Korea). I though it was one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in. The train is extreamly easy to navigate. And the people were some of the nicest I have ever met. I thought the people were better than most people here in the US. Most of the younger people 18-30 can speak broken English, enough to help you out if you are lost. We did alot of walking and I never experienced any anti American attitude, We didn't go to any bars though. I liked Seoul and am planning on going back again, in fact I wish my work would had work over there so I could go on their dime.

mustangbangher
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
My friend is on the base that borders north and south korea

'92Stang
02-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Never said anything about cleanliness, said it had a stench about it...LOL. Actually the stench was strongest in the smaller towns/villages , where there were open sewage in the culverts. But, yes as 7721cobra stated you don't see cigarette butts, or trash in the streets of Seoul. The people were very friendly also.

69Cobra
02-28-2009, 02:29 AM
I workout with a couple ex marines and the one did say that it smelled like sh!t in some places but other than that they said they had some good time and some good stories from there. Hopefully I'll find out more next week, as far as what base the work is on and so on. Thanks for the info guys it just shows the power of sbz is world wide.

Kris

7721Cobra
02-28-2009, 02:31 AM
It does have a smell about Seoul too, LOL. I have been told some of the smell is of kimchi. We didn't get to go too far from Seoul, we went to the DMZ and thats about as far from the city we got. So I didn't get to experience any of the small villages.

latamud
02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Find an American that speaks Korean and make friends with him. My buddy is a Korean linguist and just got back from a 2 year tour out there.

69Cobra
02-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Anybody know how long the flights are to Korea?

885.0GT
02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
My buddy just flew over and I believe he said it was 19 hours with a one hour stop in San Fran.

Mavowar
02-28-2009, 07:02 PM
What do you want to know....
My wife was born and raised in Seoul Korea....
I have not been myself...
could care less....
I may make it one day to make her happy...:flipoff:

Mavowar
02-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Some insight...

Korean people are very nice...
until you get on their bad side then watch out.....its on like donkey kong...

Respect their traditions. Such as taking your shoes off at the door....
Slight bow as a greeting....friends...
If you are family and you are meeting the lead family members you must bow down much like a Muslim to show respect(I hated this at first made me want to shoot all of them) :flipoff: but I did do it to keep the peace....:rolleyes:

Koreans are like Jewish(in general) people in the fact they penny pinch a lot....
or maybe a better example would be like they grew up in the depression....
Waste not want not...etc....

They will make you eat all that you can.....That's why guys that marry a Korean gal get fat....

If you marry one(that was raised there) expect to be taken care of like a king:bigthumb

It does come with a few down sides like the bowing thing........