PDA

View Full Version : Thornhill meets with IHRA

Waffles
02-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Tonight Jerry and I met with IHRA officials to discuss sanctioning requirements. After several hours of discussion with officials and then several more hours of discussion between Jerry and I, we've made some exciting decisions.

First off, Phil and John of IHRA were very helpful and are very excited at the prospect of adding the oldest continuously running dragstrip in the country to their roster. We spent lots of time discussing needed improvements to meet sanctioning requirements, as well as many suggestions to deal with our legal issues.

Following their recommendations, instead of increasing the width of the track, we're moving the guard rails in to the existing edge of the track. Guard rails from the burnout boxes to the 330 will be replaced with concrete barriers. With the money we would have used widening the track, we'll be resurfacing the track. With these two changes, Thornhill will become an IHRA sanctioned track for the 2010 racing season.

For the 2009 season, we'll begin implimenting IHRA tech inspections. We'll begin with the 13.50/9 sec requirements for all cars, and schedule deadlines for moving to 11.50/7.50 requirements, and so on. We're doing this in stages in order to not alienate any current patrons by giving them the chance to bring their cars up to pace as we bring the track up to pace. By the time we become sanctioned, our racers should have plenty of time to meet all the tech requirements.

IHRA insurance will allow us to start selling racing fuel and beer. This will bring in additional revenues for the track, and help us with further improvements.

Additional improvements that will be scheduled for this season are for new lighting, revamping the PA system, and another project we're saving for a surprise.

We want to thank those of you who've supported us and would like to invite everyone else to come on board and be part of the excitement.

http://thornhilldragstrip.com

69Cobra
02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Glad to hear it!

2Kblacksleeper
03-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm glad to hear things are looking up.

John

PonymanfiveO
03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
more improvements, glad to hear!

Im glad to hear about the tech inspections.

ponymom05
03-12-2009, 10:21 PM
selling beer at a race track...always a good idea.

PonymanfiveO
03-12-2009, 10:36 PM
can you name one that doesnt?

ponymom05
03-13-2009, 07:06 AM
I said it was a good idea, maybe you took it wrong????

jlt2006
03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
I thought National Trails did not sell beer. I could be wrong.

Kelly Pelrine
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Good to hear the news!

RIXXX93GT
03-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Thats great news , Its great you are keeping your customer base informed about the goings on at the track and the plans for the future. Sounds like you guys are serious and dedicated....and deserve support from the racing community.....great job!

Hrod382
03-14-2009, 01:18 AM
People don't give the old track enough credit and it annoys me. I've had to abort one run in hundreds of passes there in various cars. The left lane needs work but it's fixable.

Most of my buddies with street cars in the low 11's to low 13's always run faster there than elsewhere. We've run a lot of IHRA races at various tracks and always have a good time. People need to give the Hill a chance. And yes, selling beer there will send profits through the roof haha.... I'm sure there will be even more drunk people to make me laugh when they give me a big ole thumbs up on the return road, I look forward to the people on the fence more than making a pass lol.

Waffles
03-14-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm sure there will be even more drunk people to make me laugh when they give me a big ole thumbs up on the return road, I look forward to the people on the fence more than making a pass lol.

I'm sure that might have something to do with those 80 foot wheelies!

mustang8998
03-14-2009, 08:11 PM
can you name one that doesnt?

Tri-State!

Of course, you just need to go across the road. ;)

mustang8998
03-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Good luck, to you guys. I'd like to come down for a race this year. I've never been down there.

Hrod382
03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm sure that might have something to do with those 80 foot wheelies!

haha those were sissy ones... You missed the good ones :D

Think I've still got a woody from the 1.38 60 ft. on the back tires AT THORN HILL, so YES, you can hook up WELL there!