PDA

View Full Version : Boss mod motor questions

Lexstang
02-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Can the boss block be stroked to the 5.4 stroke of 4.165? Is sleeving the way the "Big bore" motors are made? Can they get the 5.4 crank and rods?

cstreu1026
02-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I have been looking at some of the big bore options. I considered using Darton MID sleeves in my teksid block, but apparently its difficult at best to get them installed leak free. I talked to Modular Performance and they told me that if I wanted to go that route then ship the block to Darton and have them install. I don't have the quote from Darton in front of me but I believe the sleeves were around $2,000 installed. The FRPP Boss block is a good option but then you have an iron block. MP told me that they do big bores with their own custom sleeves with much better success than they have had with the MID sleeves. You could spring for one of the high dollar FRPP spray bore blocks.

The 5.4 has a taller deck and longer stroke to go with it. To the best of my knowledge the 5.4 crank has a longer stroke than that of stroker 4.6 cranks and would not work in a 4.6 block.

This site has some good pictures of the MID sleeves being installed. http://www.customdesignperformance.com/ecatalog/darton_sleeves.html
I don't think normal sleeves require that nearly as much material be removed

A big bore stroker comes out to around a 323 or 324.

05yellowgt
03-01-2009, 12:06 AM
The 5.4 crank would in no way work in the Boss block. You can use a stroker crank and get a 5.3 out of it though as Cameron said.

Lexstang
03-02-2009, 02:51 AM
Does anyone make sleeves for the 5.4 blocks? I know the gt block is out of production, therefore increasingly rare, expensive and has to be machined if you want it wet sump oiled. Ford is supposed to come out with the bigger motors soon, but I'm afraid we will never see them with the economy and all the auto makers loosing money.

cstreu1026
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't know that going to a 5.4 is worth the hassle. There aren't many intake options and none of them that come to mind are cheap. Are you wanting to stay a 2V or are you planning to go 4V? I had heard that FRPP was going to release a wet sump version of the Ford GT block but that may just been speculation. Even if they do it will more than likely be big money. The spray bore block was/is something like $5K.

na svt
03-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Darton makes sleeves for the 5.4 but they are wet sleeves and as staed earlier, are prone to leaks.

As for stroking a boss block. It can be stroked but will come up short of a 5.4 by 6 cubic inches, 324ci. This is a decent mod but very expensive and the power potential is only a little better than a 4.6. However, its intake options (for performance) are greater and less expensive than the 5.4. A BB/Stroker shortblock will come in no less than 5k while a similar 5.4 will probably be 2k cheaper.

The GT block can be modified for a stock internal pump, I know of a few of these and most recently one that was headed to Australia, a 3.7" bore, GT headed, forced induction engine for a Falcon. John at MP has done this mod a few times.

replicobra
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
i know i'm a little late in here, but if someone wanted to go 5.4 and run 4.6 intakes these guys have adapters for that. karkraft.com