PDA

View Full Version : 427W for the '89 LX

Sharad
02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
As long as I've been on SBZ, I've not been able to stay on the Dirty Dozen list. :( This year, I'd REALLY like to be on the list at the end of the year, so here's the plan: toss a 427" SBF under the ATI F1-R, boost it up and shoot for 1000RWHP.

Coast High Performance provided the rotating assembly, FRPP came up with the block, TFS threw in the top end, and COMP & FTI are working on the cam/valvetrain. George's Speed Shop is handling the machine work and assembly, so I drove up there today to photograph the hardware before it starts coming together.

Here's what we're starting with:

FRPP W351 Block
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/block.jpg

CHP 4340 4.000" Crankshaft
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/crank.jpg

CHP H-Beam Connecting Rod
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/rod.jpg

Probe 4.125" Piston
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/piston.jpg

TFS High Port CNC Cylinder Head
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/head.jpg

TFS Box-R Intake and Valve Covers
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/Stocker/intake.jpg

Machine work starts Monday, so I'll be up periodically to photograph the progress.

kennebellcobra
02-28-2009, 11:20 PM
No Kenne Bell...lol

Looks like a cool build.

Sharad
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
No Kenne Bell...lol

Looks like a cool build.

Thanks. :) No, no KB on the LX. I need to stick with the F1-R, but a Kenne Bell would be teh hotness on my 2000 GT. I wish I wasn't so poor!!!

331TwistedWedge
02-28-2009, 11:56 PM
i dont see you having any trouble making the "dozen list" with that recipe ...

Buckeye
02-28-2009, 11:57 PM
So poor my ass! thats what a 4k block?

Looks good should put u in the 13's pretty easy. lol

1byafender
03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
man it looks fast and sounds fast, but can u get that power to the ground. best of luck.

Sharad
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
i dont see you having any trouble making the "dozen list" with that recipe ...

It seems like it would be easy, but something always gets in my way. I have a TON of respect for the dudes that make that list!

So poor my ass! thats what a 4k block?

Looks good should put u in the 13's pretty easy. lol

Hehehe... I don't know, I think the block is $2k?

man it looks fast and sounds fast, but can u get that power to the ground. best of luck.

Here's my biggest dilemma! Looks like the rear will be a Strange Engineering 9", so we're cool there, but I have NO IDEA what we're gonna do for a tranny. I want to run a G-Force G5R, but it may end up a glide or even a T-56. Either way, I'll probably have to save until 2015 to buy the transmission. :lol:

1byafender
03-01-2009, 12:22 AM
call redneck. man there making some real good trannys for a really good price. just tell them what your building,how much hp and there take care of u.

A05C
03-01-2009, 12:42 AM
will an F1 be enough blower?

i've been reading on them and they've got the hightest outlet temps. and alot of people were recomending going to an F3

Looks like a good build

wild87stang
03-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Sounds like a fast setup man! Hope you hit your goal!

Buckeye
03-01-2009, 02:29 AM
2k huh I guess it is not the alum block.. it looks like it in the pic. Oh well nice peice ether way.

Walter
03-01-2009, 05:26 AM
2k huh I guess it is not the alum block.. it looks like it in the pic. Oh well nice peice ether way.

Disappointed?

Sharad
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
will an F1 be enough blower?

i've been reading on them and they've got the hightest outlet temps. and alot of people were recomending going to an F3

Looks like a good build

One of the radial racers (maybe Trace Meyer?) ran sevens on an F1-R last year with an A/W intercooler. That's probably 1400+ hp. I'm only hoping to make 1000hp on mine at about 15lbs with an A/A intercooler. I think it's within the usable range of the blower. When I ordered the blower, I told ATI I was gonna put it on the 427 and told them the hp goal. They supplied the "Second Gen" F1-R, the cog drive, and the intercooler so I assume they sized it accordingly. If it ends up needing an F2-R, we'll switch to that. Then it will be almost identical to Brian Zaid's engine combo. I never thought I'd need that much power, but it could be cool. :)

Sounds like a fast setup man! Hope you hit your goal!

Thanks. :bigthumb

The M6010-W351 is a cast iron 9.500" block. The aluminum blocks are way cool, but out of my price range.

Timido
03-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I dont think you will have any problems making 1000hp and running 8s with that much motor. I guess getting it to the ground might be a problem.

Evil_Capri
03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Damn cool! What compression ratio for your new setup?

Buckeye
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Disappointed?

Nope not at all the less people that buy one the more likely the price will come to a reachable price for a normal guy. I wish I had the $ just to buy a boss block so I chould twin 67 it !

Buckeye
03-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Disappointed?

Nope not at all the less people that buy one the more likely the price will come to a reachable price for a normal guy. I wish I had the $ just to buy a boss block so I chould twin 67 it !

Sharad
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I dont think you will have any problems making 1000hp and running 8s with that much motor. I guess getting it to the ground might be a problem.

That's right where I wanted to be. I think the rear end and the suspension are taken care of. I'm hoping for a Rigid Race Cars ten-point to meet the safety requirements without going tube crazy on the car. But like I said, the tranny issue is killing me. I really want to do a G5R with a twin disk. I don't want to gear the car like crazy... maybe a 3.60 or a 3.73? I'm hoping the engine will be done by 7000 rpms. You know how Ed Curtis likes to say "RPM stands for ruins people's motors"

If I can ease out of the hole on 28x10.50s and then roll into the throttle pretty quickly, I'll be satisfied. I doubt that I'll be able to throw the car on the 2-step at 5k, dump the clutch, and have any prayer of hooking. A 'glide is the simple solution, and it just makes sense... but Steve Turner and I agreed that a manual trans is probably better for the "street crowd". We talked about a TKO during Phase Two, but I think that is probably not a good idea with this 427". I've heard good things about those new "magnum" T-56s, but don't have all of the info yet.

Do you have any advice or suggestions Tim? I know you've sort of been there/done that with your Capri. You've had a bunch of different tires on that thing, right?

1992MustangDW
03-01-2009, 11:07 AM
SICK!

Sharad
03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Damn cool! What compression ratio for your new setup?

Thanks. Umm, I've got so many numbers cluttered in my head, I can't remember where we were for the CR. The pistons have a huge dish, but the pins aren't in the oil rings, so they look kind of tall. On the other hand, the heads have a 76CC chamber. I had a long conversation with Shawn at CHP about the compression ratio. It seems like it was going to fall around 9.25:1 depending on the heads. I'm sure Gregg at the machine shop will measure the actual CR. I'll be interested to hear what it is.

I told Shawn I wanted to be under 9:1 but he said 9.25-ish was still good. It's a low boost pump gas setup, but he felt like 8.something:1 was leaving a little bit of power on the table, especially with the intercooler.

Out of everybody that was involved in the concept phase of the motor, Ed Curtis at FTI was the one that said, knowing exactly what equipment we were using, he was very confident that we can put 1000 to the tire using his tight lash solid roller cam. Maybe even on pump gas. I made sure that CHP, FTI, and TFS knew the car would see far more miles on the street than it would at the track, and that I did not want to spend all of my time in the garage performing maintenance and adjusting valves.

They said they could provide 1000 relatively trouble free hp in a streetable setup, so I'm gonna try it and let everyone know what happens! :D[crosses fingers]

Timido
03-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I have been told the same thing about timing and Rpm keeping it alive. I usually run about 28 degrees of timing, shift the car at 6000-6500. The top chip is 7200 and on nitrous I run even less timing and turn the nitrous off at 7000. My car was at 143 with the 3.73 . The radials can work they just take a lot more time to figure out. Real slicks are way more forgiving and more consistant. Get a MSD box that you can ramp in timing and leave off a transbrake. Alot easier than figuring out a clutch.

JASON408
03-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Looks like a bad ass set up !!!!:bigthumb that thing will make 1000 hp to the wheels with out oven trying . I say about 24 pound should make about 1100 with the right cam in it . But welcome to the big buck club :lol: seems like thing that use to cost a few hundread to upgrade cost a few grand now .. But its worth every penny :bigthumb

Sharad
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks like a bad ass set up !!!!:bigthumb that thing will make 1000 hp to the wheels with out oven trying . I say about 24 pound should make about 1100 with the right cam in it . But welcome to the big buck club :lol: seems like thing that use to cost a few hundread to upgrade cost a few grand now .. But its worth every penny :bigthumb

LOL! You're cracking me up. (I think Ed said the cam is like a .700 lift) But yeah, last week I detailed a customer's boat for $225. I got the money so I tried to think of what I could buy with the money.... and the answer was, not much! :) Good problem to have, I guess. As it is, I don't drive the car very much... but when I do drive it it's a huge thrill. Can't wait to drive it with the new setup. I'm an adrenaline junky and horsepower is my drug of choice!!!

bbfstanger
03-01-2009, 12:52 PM
wow somebodies gettin serious lol!
does this mean we dont get to see the stk motor with the f1 on it run?
should be a runner.

Sharad
03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
wow somebodies gettin serious lol!
does this mean we dont get to see the stk motor with the f1 on it run?
should be a runner.

I'm planning to make the SBZ spring cruise. Don't know which car I'll bring though.

First Startup:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/th_89F1RFirstStartup.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/?action=view&current=89F1RFirstStartup.flv)

Test pass at BG with massive wheelspin:
http://vimeo.com/2524959

Trying to get off the line:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r98/sraldiris/BGleaving.jpg

Foxxx5oh
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
looks like you are gonna have one mean ass grocery getter Mr. Raldris... ;) cant wait to see it in person!

on a side note i still think your car is downright gorgeous.

A05C
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
One of the radial racers (maybe Trace Meyer?) ran sevens on an F1-R last year with an A/W intercooler. That's probably 1400+ hp. I'm only hoping to make 1000hp on mine at about 15lbs with an A/A intercooler. I think it's within the usable range of the blower. When I ordered the blower, I told ATI I was gonna put it on the 427 and told them the hp goal. They supplied the "Second Gen" F1-R, the cog drive, and the intercooler so I assume they sized it accordingly. If it ends up needing an F2-R, we'll switch to that. Then it will be almost identical to Brian Zaid's engine combo. I never thought I'd need that much power, but it could be cool. :)

Well good, i dont knwo much about F1's. thats jus somethign that i had read.

at least your doing homework lol

Car should be interesting when its all done :bigthumb

Sharad
03-01-2009, 03:53 PM
looks like you are gonna have one mean ass grocery getter Mr. Raldris... ;) cant wait to see it in person!

on a side note i still think your car is downright gorgeous.

LOL! I did actually take it to wal mart to get groceries the other day. :lol: Thanks for the compliment. It IS sort of like a dream for me. The car is completely paid for. Every morning when I pull out of the driveway, I look at the thing sitting in my garage and I still can't believe it's mine! Yeah, I know it's not a corvette or a ferrari, but for a guy like me, this car is about as close as I'm gonna get to owning one of those.

Timido
03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I have had good luck with Jim Widner on my Powerglide. Tony Akins has taken very good care of my converters. I have had very postive experiences with both of them.

Sharad
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
I have had good luck with Jim Widner on my Powerglide. Tony Akins has taken very good care of my converters. I have had very postive experiences with both of them.

If I decided to go with a glide, Akins is the first person I was gonna call!!

Ryan218
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
thats alot of motor! going to be a handfull. good luck with the build!