PDA

View Full Version : This could of been bad!

USMCPONY
03-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I forgot about this until my gf brought it up today. So I thought I would share. I usually go to the gym five times a week but for the past few months I have only been able to go twice a week if I'm lucky due to my work hours. Most of the time its the same people in the gym. About twice a month there is someone I don't recognize. A few weeks a go I was at the gym. On this particular day the gym is almost completely empty with the exception of about 4 people. As I am about 45 min. through my workout a young kid (around 17) walks in and begins to stretch. I don't pay much attention to him and continue my workout. About 20 minutes I see him walking around the gym looking for something. As he walks by I notice how abnormally skinny and tall he is. Maybe 6'2" and 120 lbs. He grabs some weights and goes over to the flat bench. 2 minutes later he walks over and asks me to spot him. I said yes and follow him to the bench. As I walk over I notice this kid put 315lbs of weight on the bar. Naturally I put 2 and 2 together and ask him. Are you sure you can lift this? He says, "Oh yeah Ive been working out for a long time". I said ok do you need help with the lift off? He said yes but that should be all the help I need. I'm going to go for 10 reps. He get positioned and tells me he is ready. I help him lift the bar and let go. Immediately he struggles. He get halfway down to his chest before I have to lift the bar back on the weight rack. I said it looks like you need to take allot of weight off. He said thanks I will take some weight off and I shouldn't need a spot from now on. I walk about 40 feet away to continue my workout. After my set I watch this kid take off a two 45 lb weight and replace it with two 35lb weight. He only lightened it by 20 POUNDS. At this time there is a girl working out next to him. As he gets ready to attempt to lift the weight the girl and I look at each other and we both shake our heads. We both watch as he lifts the weight off the bar. I see his arms shake but he was balancing it well. He gets halfway down and pushes it back up. I think to myself ok he is doing it wrong but maybe he can do it by himself. At this time my gf walks up and asks me if I'm about ready to leave. I look at her and say not yet and look over to see the kid struggling with the weight. The bar is about 3 inches above his neck. As I run over the bar get slowly closer and closer to his neck. I get about 10 feet and do a running slide. As I'm sliding I see him turn his head to the right and the bar is pressing on his neck. I could see the fear and pain in his face. It was almost in slow motion. I slide right into the weight rack pretty hard. I lost my balance a little so I grabbed the weight rack with my left hand and at same time some how I lift the whole bar with my right arm and place it on the weight rack in less than a second and without a struggle. The bar basically felt weightless. I have benched well over 295lbs but never dead lifted anything remotely close to that. Especially with one arm. I am actually impressed that I was able to do that. After I put it on the rack he continues to say, "My bad, my bad, my bad" about 15 times. I told him he needs to take off at least half that weight and next time that happens. Put the bar on your chest and roll it to your feet. At least this way you wont break your neck.

Mavowar
03-04-2009, 06:19 AM
My bad, My bad, My Bad, My Bad, My Bad,My bad, My bad, My Bad, My Bad, My Bad,My bad, My bad, My Bad, My Bad, My Bad,:lol:

DeckerEnt
03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Good thing you were there. Guy could have killed himself! Good save.
Keith

MrsAPE
03-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Boys and trying to show off. Seriously, good thing you were there. Did you let the workers at the gym know so they can watch him when he's there?

Blackpony
03-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Boys and trying to show off. Seriously, good thing you were there. Did you let the workers at the gym know so they can watch him when he's there?

I agree trying to show off. I have ben lifting for many years and seen the same thing over and over again. Boys trying to impress the girls or trying to show up to a guy next to him so he doesn't think he's weak. I don't see it much at my normal gym mostly cause teenagers aren't up at 5am working out like i am but when i go to the ymca on saturday it's a try to show off fest. I laugh my ass off with some of the things these dummys do. Some of these kids have come up to me and said that they can do the weight i can. I laughed at him and told him it took 15 years to get were i am so keep working you'll get there boy. USMCpony you really did that kid a favor saving him. I hope he thanked you in the end. BTW what gym do you go to. I hit the Urban Active in Norwood and in Eastgate then on saturday the Y in Blue Ash

beefcake
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
people are dumb sometimes

when i used to work out at the rec in price hill, the front of the bars on the bench didn't have any front catches, it was basically L shaped instead of an L with the little lip on the front

guy had a ton of weight on the bar, rolls it forward right of the bar, smashes himself right in the mouth and knocked out like 3 teeth

always get a spot on the bench

DeckerEnt
03-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Ouch!! That hurts just reading it.
Keith

PKFIRE
03-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm surprized he was able to get that weight off the bench. I see kids in my gym putting on a weight that they can't even do and their buddies spotting them and even stuggling to lift the weight up themselves. I'm glad you were there to spot him. It seems as though he needs a little guidance. I remember when I benched for the first time. I believe 70lbs was all I could do. My buddy who was heavy into lifting back in the 7th grade had a 225lb bench press which was amazing at his age. I thought I could keep up with him but I was dead wrong. I miss the guy, he was the one who was shot back at K-mart on Colerain some years back. Anywho, I learned a lesson that it takes a lot of hard work and proper form to get to a high level bench press.

USMCPONY
03-04-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree trying to show off. I have ben lifting for many years and seen the same thing over and over again. Boys trying to impress the girls or trying to show up to a guy next to him so he doesn't think he's weak. I don't see it much at my normal gym mostly cause teenagers aren't up at 5am working out like i am but when i go to the ymca on saturday it's a try to show off fest. I laugh my ass off with some of the things these dummys do. Some of these kids have come up to me and said that they can do the weight i can. I laughed at him and told him it took 15 years to get were i am so keep working you'll get there boy. USMCpony you really did that kid a favor saving him. I hope he thanked you in the end. BTW what gym do you go to. I hit the Urban Active in Norwood and in Eastgate then on saturday the Y in Blue Ash

This happened at Urban active in Westernhills. Lately I have been going to the one in eastgate. Are you the one with the black 05+ Mustang with stripes.

Blackpony
03-04-2009, 03:35 PM
This happened at Urban active in Westernhills. Lately I have been going to the one in eastgate. Are you the one with the black 05+ Mustang with stripes.

I wish i was. I haven't had mine out much yet. I have an 85 GT with the cowls hood

USMCPONY
03-05-2009, 02:01 AM

No, he actually left about 10 minutes later.

2Kblacksleeper
03-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Anymore you not only have to watch out for yourself, but you have to baby sit other people also. Thanks for doing the right thing.

John

USMCPONY
03-05-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm surprized he was able to get that weight off the bench. I see kids in my gym putting on a weight that they can't even do and their buddies spotting them and even stuggling to lift the weight up themselves. I'm glad you were there to spot him. It seems as though he needs a little guidance. I remember when I benched for the first time. I believe 70lbs was all I could do. My buddy who was heavy into lifting back in the 7th grade had a 225lb bench press which was amazing at his age. I thought I could keep up with him but I was dead wrong. I miss the guy, he was the one who was shot back at K-mart on Colerain some years back. Anywho, I learned a lesson that it takes a lot of hard work and proper form to get to a high level bench press.

That sucks about your friend. I remember the first time I went to the gym. I was there for 2 hours and everything I lifted was almost my max. I ended up throwing up and was very light head after the work out. I get that way sometimes now. It depends on how hard I work out.

USMCPONY
03-05-2009, 02:06 AM
I wish i was. I haven't had mine out much yet. I have an 85 GT with the cowls hood

I havent seen you. I will keep an eye out for you. I usually drive my white hummer h3 to the gym.

sean
03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
I was into it in high school and worked out as much as I could. One day I was with a few football player friends and trying to impress I tried to lift some outrages weight I cant even remember now. All I remember was doing it and everyone being impressed and them not hearing the pop i herd. That pop turned into a double hernia that I kept for 10 or 11 years untill it got so bad I saw a dr who scheduled an operation TWO days later. Stupid... my bad my bad