PDA

View Full Version : questions about maf

ZornLack11
03-07-2009, 06:04 PM
how do you know when you need one and what benfits do they have

FMGT1999
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Here is what a MAF is : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor

You will need to get a larger one when your meter is maxed out on the amount of air that is going across it or thru it. Most dyno shops can dyno meter your car while on the dyno and give you a reading of where your air to fuel mix is at which is part of what a MAF works with in your cars ecu reading from the sensors on your car.

Hope that helps a little,
Kyle

ZornLack11
03-08-2009, 08:23 PM
thanks

MuStAnGMaDdNeSs
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
if you change your throttle body to a different mm size you will also need to change the MAFS to read the correct amount of air passing through or the car will run like trash.

e5shea
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
if you change your throttle body to a different mm size you will also need to change the MAFS to read the correct amount of air passing through or the car will run like trash.

Not true. Changing the t/b on a mod motor just requires a little tuning to maximize the gains. I'm on a stock MAF with an Accufab 75mm t/b and polished upper plenum...I'm running just fine.

bobtsgt
03-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Yep I ran a 75MM BBK and C&L plenum before with a stock MAF. When datalogging your car you can read the MAF voltage. If it starts to peak out while still climbing in RPMs its time to move up to a bigger one. Most NA motors will use the stock meter unless you are building a real high compression big dollar motor.

boostanggt
03-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Yep I ran a 75MM BBK and C&L plenum before with a stock MAF. When datalogging your car you can read the MAF voltage. If it starts to peak out while still climbing in RPMs its time to move up to a bigger one. Most NA motors will use the stock meter unless you are building a real high compression big dollar motor.

Exactly. I wouldn't change the stock one unless you are going to be running boost in the near future. It's just a waste of money and the one's you see in the mag's that aren't SCT or any other reputable brand are garbage.

e5shea
03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
The stock MAF should be good until you start hitting around 330 to 350 rwhp.

MuStAnGMaDdNeSs
03-19-2009, 10:28 AM
thanks for correcting me guys. lol. the reason i said that was because when i put a 75mm t/b on my car it ran like trash so i took it off and put the original back on thinking that i needed to save for a MAFS now.

05yellowgt
03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Nope just need a good tune to fix that problem.

BigB96
03-22-2009, 07:44 PM
My sct x3 says "invalid" when i data log my maf voltage.. what could cause that?

05yellowgt
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Are you trying to log straight from the X3 or do you have it plugged into a laptop. If you are using the generic gas file that is on the X3 then it is probably not the right one for your year car. Get it plugged into a laptop and the livelink software and you can find the correct maf value to log. If you can't log volts then logging AD counts should work just fine as well.