PDA

View Full Version : Steering Shaft Rubbing LT Header

02pnygt
03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I've done a little research on this and see it is relatively common. Looks like the fixes are aftermarket steering shaft and/or different motor mounts. Basically i've had the issue for a couple years since i had the lt's installed. when i turn right i can feel a slight vibration which is the steering shaft rubbing against the d.s header. I am looking to see what my options are as far as different brands that are available and what other people are using. From what i have read it seems that Ididit and Flaming River make a replacement shaft for the 99-04 cars but i don't see anything specific listed on their websites. Give me some input on what things you guys have done and give me a few different options to think about.

Thanks
Kerry

Mr.Moontang
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a Flaming river shaft in my car(01 GT), it seems to be doing the job.

02pnygt
03-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I have a Flaming river shaft in my car(01 GT), it seems to be doing the job.

Thanks. Do you still have stock motor mounts? I did find a replacement shaft thru both MM and Steeda. Steeda's site says theirs is the flaming river piece. Got to do some searching to see where i can find best price.

e5shea
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Unless you go used, probably won't find much difference in price. Did you do a k-member at the same time? I didn't have steering shaft clearance issues. My issue was on the other side around the PA Racing motor mount. I have Mac long tubes.

Mr.Moontang
03-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks. Do you still have stock motor mounts? I did find a replacement shaft thru both MM and Steeda. Steeda's site says theirs is the flaming river piece. Got to do some searching to see where i can find best price.

Factory mounts... Cincy Speed for the best price that is where mine came from!

02pnygt
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a stock k member in the car. My lt's are bbk's. It seems to be a pretty common issue. From the research i've done it seems that the main cause has to do with the heat from the headers having an effect on the rubber for the rag joint on the stock steering shaft. The aftermarket shafts eliminate the rag joint. What kind of motor mounts are you using? are they a polyurethane type.

02pnygt
03-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Factory mounts... Cincy Speed for the best price that is where mine came from!

thanks, i'll check them out. best price i found so far on the flaming river unit is 285 shipped from a company called JD's performance out of PA. Also may have a line on a used one from someone on another board. Waiting for more info on it.

tdm309
03-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I know on the fox body cars sometimes you can loosen up the steering column mounts under the dash and shift the steering column over just enough so that they dont rub. You might want to look into that also

JET50213
03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I have the same issue with my 2002 with Mac LT's and UPR Kmember. What are the possible ramifications of not taking care of the problem....if any. I don't really mind the rattle that much. It's good to know what it is, though.

02pnygt
03-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I have the same issue with my 2002 with Mac LT's and UPR Kmember. What are the possible ramifications of not taking care of the problem....if any. I don't really mind the rattle that much. It's good to know what it is, though.

I don't that it will cause any damage, just that it get's annoying. If you were to do any kind of track time with the car i'm sure it wouldn't be the greatest feel to have. Like I said, i have had the lt's on my car for the past two years and never really bothered with it. When i first felt it i looked to see what the problem was, kind of forgot about it after that. Just recently i've been looking at what i want to do to the car next and figured i should take care of a few of the little quirks that i have from all the past mod's before going any further.

Looks like I am going to go with the flaming river steering shaft and probably a set of prothane poly motor mounts while i'm at it.