PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

PKFIRE
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Is there any good way of cleaning metal shavings out of a motor without tearing it apart?

CNTLOSE
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Where did they enter at?
I have seen people put heavy duty magnets on the bottom of the oil pan. This will keep the shavings at the bottom of the oil pan. This is of course a temporary fix, you will eventually need to drop the pan and clean it out.

Good Luck!

PKFIRE
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
The metal shavings got into the oil pan which I removed. I had some sludge that got past the oil pump though I haven't found much signs of it getting into the head. I pulled the rockers and exhaust camshaft out. Tomorrow the intake cam. I think magnet, vacuum, and compressed air should do the trick once I remove some more things. Luckly the pickup has a screen filter on it but that will only keep the larger pieces of debree out of the bearings.

ClevelandMstang
03-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Luckly the pickup has a screen filter on it but that will only keep the larger pieces of debree out of the bearings.

Ok.... where do you think the little ones go?

first of all how did you get metal in the engine, metal is not good floating around in there....

I would tear it down and clean/rebuild, you will have failure over time here... metal will go into places you will never see let alone clean with engine assembled.

facemelter71
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
FYI,pick up tube is at the bottom of the pan where all the metal shavings go to cling to the magnet.Better to just tear it apart and go at it again.

DeckerEnt
03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I had a plastic timing gear come apart in my work truck once. The guys didn't drop the pan to clean it out. It went back to them the next day. No oil pressure. Metal shavings are 100 times worse. Pull it, tear it down and hit the car wash with the block.
Keith

PKFIRE
03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
I'll have to tear it down since the crank needs turned. The car ate up the accessory shaft gear which drives the oil pump which is a common failure with inaccurate timing belt tension on the 2.2 dohc turbo III dodge motors. Anyway I'll clean the block or have it hot tanked. I probably should put in new accessory shaft bushings while I'm at it unless I have it hot tanked because they should do that for me then.

So my list to do,buy or have done
Regrind Cams-Off to Washington
Turn Crank
New bearings
New seals
Another oil pump-Purchased
Another accessory Shaft-purchased
Clean out motor
Clean out oil lines
Clean out head
correct belt tension gauge-purchased
fluids-Purchased

Thanks guys

DeckerEnt
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Good luck with it. Post up pics of the carnage if you can.
Keith