PDA

View Full Version : Should I just replace the whole catback???

Black92LX
03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Well many years ago while in college when money was short I bought some used magnaflows.
So in the effort to save money but get rid of the stock catback I just had the flowtubes expanded and welded onto the 3" mufflers and slapped some turndowns on. So for under $100 I had a great sounding catback.
Well I miss the looks of tailpipes on the Sn95 and having the convertible the fumes are pretty wicked with the dumps and no cats. So I am wanting to get some tailpipes somehow.

I haven't been able to find any 3" tailpipes to weld to the mufflers and I am afraid necking down the mufflers to 2.5" tailpipes will give me some back pressure resulting in not only poor sound but an adverse effect in performance.

So should I just replace the whole catback, or will necking down to the 2.5" pipes not effect me that much??

facemelter71
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Flowmaster offers 3" tailpipes.

cstreu1026
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I would pony up some money and get a whole new cat-back.

bobtsgt
03-12-2009, 03:18 PM
unless you can find somebodys used 3" magnaflow pipes on ebay or something. taking it down to 2.5 won't really hurt that much since you don't have a power adder or anything. You will loose a foot pound of torque or so but gain 1-2HP up top. A little back pressure never hurts.

MuStAnGMaDdNeSs
03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
i have a little back pressure on my stang and it doesnt hurt a thing. the sound also is not to bad when you down shift the car. i dont think you will need a whole new cat back.