PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new laptop...

PonymanfiveO
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
This old ass HP is falling apart and Im thinking about buying a new laptop PC.

I dont need anything cazy fancy, just something to work on while on the go.
I dont want to spend a bundle on something Im not gonna use everyday, but Id like to find something dependable and sturdy. Something quality built is more important than tons of memory or fancy stuff.

After a couple minutes of looking I found a decently priced Toshiba...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114611

Im gonna start looking at Dell's now....

Thanks for any help or insight everyone.:)

plattner01
03-14-2009, 11:46 PM
i've personally always used hp laptops for biz, and my younger brother ways liked dell laptops and has owned 3 of them in 10 years and seemed to like them and had really no issues with them other than being stupid and accidently dropping them. i can say the same about hp. i see your shopping from newegg great site have bought parts from there before to make computers. also have you looked at bestbuy also?? or microcenter in sharonville Matt?

PonymanfiveO
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Ive bought a lot of stuff from newegg. I herd microcenter is a ripoff. I'll go check out bestbuy. ;)

Mista Bone
03-15-2009, 12:09 AM
used IBM T42p off Ebay, I love both of mine.

DeckerEnt
03-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a Toshiba right now and love it. My kids have Gateways and we have had some issues but they took care of them after mailing them back. Never had a Dell or HP but with technology these days, any one of them is probably good.
Keith

rmracing
03-15-2009, 01:04 AM
If you buy a new HP you better get the in house extended warranty . I had an issue with mine while still under warranty and it was a MAJOR hassle for me , not to mention HOURS and HOURS of phone calls to India trying to talk to someone that you cant understand at all.

PonymanfiveO
03-15-2009, 01:33 AM
wow. Yea, Im done with HP. This thing is a turd. The power cord jack in the back is f-ed up, so any time you move it a tiny bit it shuts off because the battery is junk. The key board is going out. I have to type really slow and hit all the keys really hard or it skips letters. oh and it locks up every couple mintes. Im ready to throw it acoss the prking lot. :(

PonymanfiveO
03-15-2009, 01:35 AM
I found a Toshiba and a Dell I really like. Both of them compare really close to each other. both are $450. not sure which brand I like better. hmmm..

dirtyone55
03-15-2009, 01:46 AM
I have the toshiba satellite that you are looking at. I bought it the day after thanksgiving sale just because of the cheap price, and has actually been pretty good for me. I like it a lot. I have also used dell, and they are good puters also. HP sucks ass, stay away from them, they are straight junk. The only thing I do not like about the toshiba is getting used to vista instead of XP, which is really not that hard to change.

DeckerEnt
03-15-2009, 02:00 AM
Matt, Bring it to the next farm party and you can take your frustrations out on it. I will mix up a tannerite charge just for you!!
Keith

Mista Bone
03-15-2009, 02:38 AM
IBM has the best keyboards and charge jacks, look into the old Ti frames.

Black Horse
03-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Matt: Staples has a good deal on the Dell's this week - same price as the Toshiba you are looking at with 2 more GB of RAM. Check out their ad at www.staples.com

fordfan
03-15-2009, 07:56 AM
I have owned 4 Dell laptops. One I bought on my own and the other three are from work. The only issue I have had with any of them is one battery. Whatever tells the laptop it`s there quit working, but it still ran off the battery I just couldn`t tell how much charge it had. I really like them and I have sold the one I bought to my brother and he is still using it and it`s five years old.

dedpedal
03-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Matt I just got a used ibm/lenova t-60 pretty cheap and So far im pretty happy with it.

69Cobra
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Hey Matt,
I've got an old hp that I use for the racecar and a Toshiba and Dell I use for work. The HP is pretty much junk the Toshiba is okay but so far I like the Dell the best.

Waffles
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
This old ass HP is falling apart and Im thinking about buying a new laptop PC.

I dont need anything cazy fancy, just something to work on while on the go.
I dont want to spend a bundle on something Im not gonna use everyday, but Id like to find something dependable and sturdy. Something quality built is more important than tons of memory or fancy stuff.

After a couple minutes of looking I found a decently priced Toshiba...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114611

Im gonna start looking at Dell's now....

Thanks for any help or insight everyone.:)

I've had Dell, HP, Compaq, tons of others and using a Winbook now. Hell, I've got about 5 or 6 laptops laying around the house here. Over the last 10 years I've been through probably 40 laptops and there is really only one brand of laptop that stands out in my mind for quality, and that's the IBM Thinkpad. I love them.

Also, if you're not looking for something brand new, try G-Net PC over on Mall Rd. James, the owner, is a friend of mine. His son used to work for me when I was an IT Project Manager. He's good people. He buys a lot of the off-lease stuff and refurbs them.

859-746-1972

Mista Bone
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
IBM Thinkpad T42p :)

Once I've seen someone stand on it (not suggested!) and it didn't hurt the screen, I was sold.

PonymanfiveO
03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
I've had Dell, HP, Compaq, tons of others and using a Winbook now. Hell, I've got about 5 or 6 laptops laying around the house here. Over the last 10 years I've been through probably 40 laptops and there is really only one brand of laptop that stands out in my mind for quality, and that's the IBM Thinkpad. I love them.

Also, if you're not looking for something brand new, try G-Net PC over on Mall Rd. James, the owner, is a friend of mine. His son used to work for me when I was an IT Project Manager. He's good people. He buys a lot of the off-lease stuff and refurbs them.

859-746-1972

sweet! thanks bud! :bigthumb