PDA

View Full Version : Cam degreeing

Marker1989
03-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Does anybody know of a place in the Cincinnati area, as close to Mason as possible, that could degree my camshaft for me? Or does any one have a degree kit I could borrow?
Thanks, Mark

Dirtyd0g
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
I have done many modular engines. For a pushrod motor I suggest Andy Law.
Alan

Marker1989
03-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I was also referred to Andy Law to get my 4.10s put in. Where is he located and how can I contact him?

ZornLack11
03-20-2009, 04:16 AM
what does degreeing cams do for your car and how do you know if its been done to your car i have a 00 and had a set of comp cams 550 lift put in ?

bobtsgt
03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
you can only tell if you redo the degree process. degreeing brings the cams into proper time with the rest of the valvetrain for optimal performance. SOHC and DOHC can really benefit from this as one cam might be retarded 3* and the other may be advanced 2* off the base center. This results in some HP lost and possible valve to piston contact. Most of the time with a non aggressive cam you can just throw it in there and be fine but with a mild/very aggressive cam degreeing should be done to prevent damage and to check the cams against the cam card. Its a timely process especially if the motor is in the car.

Andy Law is located in Batavia off 32. I forget what the shop number is but someone on here knows.

Marker1989
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a lunati cam going in my short block soon and I am going to degree it at 4 degrees advanced because that is what the cam card says. Advanceing a cam will help it make its power in the higher RPMs and retarding a cam will help it make more power down low.

Mista Bone
03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I have a lunati cam going in my short block soon and I am going to degree it at 4 degrees advanced because that is what the cam card says. Advanceing a cam will help it make its power in the higher RPMs and retarding a cam will help it make more power down low.

you have that backwards.

Advanced cam timing = more torque
Retarded cam timing = more topend power

cmetalbend
03-24-2009, 01:39 AM
All degreeing really does is lets YOU know the cam was ground according to the spec card. Now be very careful retarding and adv. your cam. Your cam could have been retarded/adv ground from the factory to put the power where THEY state it to be. That's where degreeing comes in to play. You can make adjustments once you know that your is on the money to the card. But really has anybody seen one off? I've done a few with help and never seen one more than a degreee or 2 at the most off. Might be cause I use only Name brand Stuff, Lunati, comp, Isky, edlebroc and such, no P.A.W crap, regrinds, or other knock offs.