PDA

View Full Version : Question on whether to get drop mount k member or standard height?

5.0calypso93lx
03-21-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm going to pick up a Team Z k member and had a question about which one I should get.

Setup:
-71' 351w block
-Trick Flow Box intake manifold
-Energy Suspension drop mounts

So since all of those things affect the how high/low the engine will sit, should I get a standard height K member or a drop k member?

I DON'T want to have to run anything more than a 2.5" cowl hood and would love to be able to keep my 1.5" mach 1 hood. But at the same time, I don't want to have issues with an aftermarket pan scraping on the ground when the front of the car is lowered.

What do you guys think?

PaulFiveOh
03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Whats your suspension plans

5.0calypso93lx
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Whats your suspension plans

Team Z tube control arms and coilovers up front with the same strange struts.

Rick93coupe
03-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Drop k member with solid mounts just barely clears my 1.5" hood. See my thread for pics.

5.0calypso93lx
03-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Drop k member with solid mounts just barely clears my 1.5" hood. See my thread for pics.

What is the height of the solid mounts compared to a set of ES mounts?

Rick93coupe
03-22-2009, 12:06 AM
No idea, I just sold them too. Keep in mind you can mill the intake spacer some if you need to. Not positive the difference in the Mach hoods though. Speaking of, you never sent me pics of your hood pins!

5.0calypso93lx
03-22-2009, 12:10 AM
No idea, I just sold them too. Keep in mind you can mill the intake spacer some if you need to. Not positive the difference in the Mach hoods though. Speaking of, you never sent me pics of your hood pins!

Why'd you sell em?

Ah crap haha. What exactly are you looking for as far as pics go? Just how the look on the outside?

I'm just worried cuz this hood has that ram air piece on the bottom side of it also which I think will be even more of an issue.... Meh, it may just give me the excuse to go to a CF 2.5" cowl hood like I've wanted to for a while.

Rick93coupe
03-22-2009, 01:35 AM
You know I told you wrong, I have the team z drop k with hpm drop solids in the pics with the box on my Windsor. Now I have motor plates.

Rick93coupe
03-22-2009, 01:45 AM
Why'd you sell em?

Ah crap haha. What exactly are you looking for as far as pics go? Just how the look on the outside?

I'm just worried cuz this hood has that ram air piece on the bottom side of it also which I think will be even more of an issue.... Meh, it may just give me the excuse to go to a CF 2.5" cowl hood like I've wanted to for a while.

I'd like some outside pics, along with some of how the pin itself is mounted and where. What the underside of the hood looks like too would be great. My email address is in my sig.

You may have problems with that hood, but on the bright side, a 2.5" carbon hood would look bad ass! :bigthumb

Jeff88coupe
03-22-2009, 09:17 AM
I run a tfs-r box intake on my 8.2" deck block 347...I run a standard d&d tube k-member with HPM 3/4" drop motor mounts. It just does fit under my 2" cowl hood. How much more does the drop mount k-member lower the motor? I think your gonna have a hard time getting a 351 r-box intake to fit under a 2" cowl hood.

Paul408Notch
03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
My 408 with Spyder intake actually would have cleared my stock hood if I had trimmed some of the bracing from the bottom of the hood. There's plenty of room under my Boss Inc Cobra hood. I run s QA1 k-member and Energy mounts. Not sure how much taller the box intake is than the spyder, but maybe it will give you a point of reference.

5.0calypso93lx
03-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I run a tfs-r box intake on my 8.2" deck block 347...I run a standard d&d tube k-member with HPM 3/4" drop motor mounts. It just does fit under my 2" cowl hood. How much more does the drop mount k-member lower the motor? I think your gonna have a hard time getting a 351 r-box intake to fit under a 2" cowl hood.

That's what I'd like to know as well.

I think either way I need to go with the drop k member as long as I'm not going to have ground clearance issues with the oil pan.

5.0calypso93lx
03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
My 408 with Spyder intake actually would have cleared my stock hood if I had trimmed some of the bracing from the bottom of the hood. There's plenty of room under my Boss Inc Cobra hood. I run s QA1 k-member and Energy mounts. Not sure how much taller the box intake is than the spyder, but maybe it will give you a point of reference.

Is your QA1 k member a drop k member? I think the box intake is quite a bit taller than a spyder elbow. I really do like that Boss Inc hood, might end up going with one of those. That "bubble" in the middle is right where you need to most room too.

Rick93coupe
03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/front_suspension.html#k_members

K-member comes with a 1" drop option. That makes the fact that you have a 1" taller deck height from the windsor a moot point. Motor is sitting 3/4 lower because of the hpm drop solid motor mounts. A 1.5" hood might clear, but the 2.5" def would.

5.0calypso93lx
03-23-2009, 12:06 PM
You the man Rick! I'll go ahead and get the drop k and see how close we are with the existing hood.

Rick93coupe
03-23-2009, 12:22 PM
N/p, hope it all works out for you. Did you find out what the drop on the ES mounts was?

Paul408Notch
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Is your QA1 k member a drop k member? I think the box intake is quite a bit taller than a spyder elbow. I really do like that Boss Inc hood, might end up going with one of those. That "bubble" in the middle is right where you need to most room too.

I was told it's a stock height. I wouldn't buy a QA1 if I were you though. It's not the squarest thing in the world.

Jeff88coupe
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure if you can use both the drop k-member and hpm drop motor mounts together...especially if your running a 7qt oil pan. You may run into oilpan/k-member/steering rack clearance issues.

5.0calypso93lx
03-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm having a tough time finding out exactly how much the ES mounts drop the engine, but I did find an article that they give the same drop as convertible mounts. I'm actually running the ES mounts not the HPM's.

5.0calypso93lx
03-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I was told it's a stock height. I wouldn't buy a QA1 if I were you though. It's not the squarest thing in the world.

Good to know and yea, I'm definitely going with a Team Z.

BigBadStang
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
You may have header ground clearance issues if you use long tubes?

5.0calypso93lx
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
You may have header ground clearance issues if you use long tubes?

It'll have a 3.5" or 4" downpipe coming off the passenger side :D

BigBadStang
04-08-2009, 03:06 PM
It'll have a 3.5" or 4" downpipe coming off the passenger side :D

:bigthumb...nice!