PDA

View Full Version : 96 gt cooling fan wont work

ZornLack11
03-22-2009, 01:38 AM
been helping my father-in-law on his 96 gt with trying to get the cooling fan to work. we have replace the temp sensor and the cooling fan sensor. we took the fan out and ran wires to battery and then it works. we tested the wires and the plugs and we get voltage but not any amps. have replace the computer under the right fender. looked for broken wires and found none. anybody have any ideas thanks jason

bobtsgt
03-22-2009, 07:38 AM
well amps is only a measurement of resistance. So when you start the car and put it on A/C you have at least 12V at the plug once the car is up to temp? Does high and low not work? High and low have separate relays that pull in to send the power to the fan. So if your running around without A/C or defrost the computer will call for the lower fan to kick on. If your running around with A/C it should call for the high relay to pull in. Sounds like the fan motor is fine its just not getting to it. I would check the plug for any loose wires or pins and check the fan motor itself for any loose pins. Also find the relays and see if you can switch them with something else and see if that works. A relay might be sticking open not allowing it to pull in when the coil gets power. I had my 96 fan go out one time but the motor itself was done for and didn't turn at all even manually wiring it up like you did.