PDA

View Full Version : Auto to Manual: A grand old question from a newb!

ck4everchanging
03-25-2009, 12:27 AM
When I went to look at my 92 LX 5.0 vert, I was dissapointed to find it had an automatic transmission. Not exactly what id hoped for but the price was unbeatable. So now Im stuck with an auto for now. Any known links on converting the auto to a manual for this year?
Any helps appreciated

Gearhead
03-25-2009, 11:36 AM
http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/135059-aod-t5-swap-procedure.html

I've got a few other links I can dig up...

mustangjon
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
its not as daunting as it seems, its a weekend project. Do your research and get every single part needed, double and triple check you have it. Sucks to be swapping and then be out a tiny part that takes a week to get. I'm in the process of swapping one into my lincoln as we speak. I switched the pedal assy out in a few hours one afternoon, then been driving with the 5 speed pedals in, till i could get it on my buddies rack. We spent 3 hours tonight, and all we got left is bolting starter back on, cutting the hole for the shifter, running the clutch cable, and wiring in the reverse lights, putting exhaust back in. So make your plan and follow through.

ck4everchanging
03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
its not as daunting as it seems, its a weekend project. Do your research and get every single part needed, double and triple check you have it. Sucks to be swapping and then be out a tiny part that takes a week to get. I'm in the process of swapping one into my lincoln as we speak. I switched the pedal assy out in a few hours one afternoon, then been driving with the 5 speed pedals in, till i could get it on my buddies rack. We spent 3 hours tonight, and all we got left is bolting starter back on, cutting the hole for the shifter, running the clutch cable, and wiring in the reverse lights, putting exhaust back in. So make your plan and follow through.

Its not my daily as of yet so that makes it alot easier!:lol: but thanks both of ya for the advice and the link!

facemelter71
03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
I did it in my coupe,I swapped it one day then about 2 weeks later I swapped it back to an auto.Im pretty quick at 5 speed auto swap's now.
The hole for the shifter doesnt have to be cut out,just a small cut about 2 inches on the back side of the shifter hole straight back toward the rear of the car.Fold the metal up,push the trans in then fold the metal back down and install the trim and carpet,you will never know you cut it.