PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

mwaller5672
03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi All
I have a goofy question. When looking at the back of a speaker how can you tell which one is - and which is +. the wiring doesn't count. It's been cut.
I think I have the radio wiring figured out with diagrams. I hear it's easy to fry a radio I hear so I would rather not. It's a new pioneer. The old car radio I think you could hook it up to 110 and it wouldn't fry. Well maybe not 110.
Mike

Hatchback kid
03-26-2009, 09:18 PM
On the speaker it does not matter, either way you hook it up it is fine, the only time you need to worry about +- is when you are dealing with the hot wire from your car to the back of the head unit or when you are putting speakers in a speaker box. All that changes when you switch the polarity is instead of the speaker going in and then out when it hits, it goes out then in, but it sounds the same.

mwaller5672
03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the response. I thought thats the way it was but it seems like I have heard of so many people frying there systems I was a little concerned. Thanks again
Mike

Rick93coupe
03-26-2009, 10:28 PM
On the speaker it does not matter, either way you hook it up it is fine, the only time you need to worry about +- is when you are dealing with the hot wire from your car to the back of the head unit or when you are putting speakers in a speaker box. All that changes when you switch the polarity is instead of the speaker going in and then out when it hits, it goes out then in, but it sounds the same.

Not true, all your speakers need to be wired the same way. It's what they call being in phase with each other. If you have some speakers that are pushing out on bass notes and some are wired backwards and are pushing in, the sound is decreased and overall pretty crappy. Wire them all the same. You can use a 9 volt battery with some wire and pop the speaker. See if the cone moves out or in when you apply the voltage. Wire them all the same and you'll be fine.

cobrajoe
03-27-2009, 12:25 AM
I think on some speakers the wide spade/connector is pos. While the skinny one in Neg.