PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Driveway and new roof price for house

PONYGRL
03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
I just moved into my condo not even 2 years ago and we are thinking about selling it and buying a house. We found one that needs a lil work that we are very interested in, but the driveway will need re-paved or repatched... It is a cement driveway with a bunch of cracks (see pics).

The roof on the house will also need replaced... my brother and fiance will be laying it. I know we would want to get good shingles, not cheap ones. The roof is in worse condition now than it looks like in the picture.

Below is a pic of the roof.. the house isn't that huge, but does anyone have a ballpark price for how much it would cost to buy the shingles for a house this size? Like I said, we will be doing the roof one weekend so it's just the material.

I thought some of you guys were in construction and you probably have more knowledge than me about this stuff, I hope... We are going to look at the house on Wednesday so I need to have an idea of costs for these repairs before we meet the realtor.

It needs remodeling but I think with some TLC it has tons of potential. Does anyone have any ballpark prices? We plan on staying there a while so we will have everything done right and not take any shortcuts. Thanks guys!

http://www.sibcycline.com/sibcyphotos/listnet/nky/370086_1.jpg

http://www.sibcycline.com/sibcyphotos/listnet/nky/370086_0.jpg

http://www.sibcy.com/sibcyphotos/listnet/nky/370086_16.jpg

sean
03-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I have a friend who I am sure can help. His name is brian and his number is 513-240-1232. Please tell him I gave you his number so he doesnt wonder how you got it. My name is sean muray. He can prob go look at the house and tell you how much. Let me know how it goes.

ponymom05
03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey Stacey,

Cute house. What area is it in? Keep me posted if it all goes thought for you.

DeckerEnt
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice starter home. Looks like enough room for a 3 car garage in the back yard. LOL Good luck with it.
Keith

bobtsgt
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Driveway will probably be about $5500+ after tear out and repour. Plus might be a little bit more for the hill it has. I have no idea on the roof though.

PONYGRL
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah. lol and it's a huge downgrade from my condo now and is a lot smaller, with only 1 bath and only 2 small BR's. But I have a feeling we can do the work and when we build our house, we would like to rent it out.

Mustard
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
No to toot my own horn. But Im a hell of a roofer.....

Black92LX
03-31-2009, 11:54 AM
just as a reference. I got a concrete estimate today.

30'x14' = $2650 and I have no old concrete to remove and dispose of.

zippy94
03-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey , I am home builder in nky and would have to get some idea of the dimensions for tear out and replace of drive. And The house is older so you may have already have 2 layers of shingles. So have to do a complete tear off and disposal. Which can be expensive. Or Back breaking work for your brother. I would go to Brookville IN to get shingles because there is manufacturer up there you can buy open or blemished bundles. And go with dimensional Shingles (30yr) Not much cost diffrence. Pm me on drive and can get a bid for you. Thanks

supercab78
03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Just guessing on the roof size. If it's 40 feet long, you have about 1300 sq. feet or thirteen squares. (100 sq. feet = 1 sq. ) That's a easy house to do so you should be able to get it done @ $200 per sq. for a two layer tear off. So maybe $2600. If you call for bids, save youself some time and ask them what they charge per square for a easy walk on ranch home with no valleys, two plumbing vents and one small chiney. Tell them you don't own the house yet but you need an idea what the charge is per sq. foot so you know what to offer on the house. If I were you stay away from MR. ROOF his prices are twice the norm. If you have ?'s feel free to PM me. I had 25 years of roof experience, about 12 running my on business. That roof is so easy there was a time I would have loved to do a roof like that.

PONYGRL
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Okay cool, thanks guys for the roof and driveway info! I will keep you posted. I just wanted a ballpark estimate so I know ahead of time, plus it's a reason to knock some money off. We are going to look at 4 houses tonight (including the one in the pics), all of which will need updating and a lil work, almost all of which we can do ourselves.

But we will finally be able to have room to tinker with the stangs and not have to worry about being too loud or not having enough room, and we will also have a yard that is just ours.

The realtor is coming to check out my condo tonight so hopefully all goes well...