PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help needed, PLEASE!

mustang8998
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
So I start the thing today and my background comes on, but no icons, or tool bar. If I right click on the background, nothing happens. I was able to open task manager and that is how I got on-line. I recently ran some scans and updated my anti-virus (in preperation for the latest threat) and it has been working better than ever, up until today.

Any ideas?

And before one of you says "reboot", I don't have the original disks.

Will
04-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Try restarting your computer and run it in safe mode.

mustang8998
04-01-2009, 08:44 PM
For some reason, I can't do that. I have tried.

Will
04-01-2009, 08:57 PM
hmmm , ok since you can get into the task manager try this. When task manager is open click on help. Click on task manager help topics. From there type run system restore into the box and hit enter. Click on What is system restore. Towards the very bottom you will see something that says "click to open system restore". Click that then set a date you want to go back to. This should solve your problem.

Chrome95GTS
04-01-2009, 08:59 PM
conficker.

PaulFiveOh
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
If it wont boot in to safe mode chances are you got some dying hardware. Will's suggestion is a good one. But it is is easier to just do a "Last Known Good Config" in the F8 startup menu.

mwaller5672
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I think you should format it. Hah just kidding

Stangman
04-02-2009, 07:49 AM
CPU Lost your user profile?

Just a thought...

2007ShelbyCobra
04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Im not sure about your problem, but I had something simalar happen to mine, I left it alone for a few day, tried to get back on and it was totally screwed. In the end we had to get a new one.
Hope your problem is fixable.

Ric54
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
For some reason, I can't do that. I have tried.
Do you see Safe Mode on the F8 menu or is it that you can't get the F8 menu to come up??

Safe mode loads the minimal amount of drivers to run Windows. If Windows fails to load in Safe Mode you probably have a driver or DLL that is missing or corrupt. You may have to reinstall Windows. Not having the original disks will make this pretty hard. What version of the OS are you running??

If you can get it to boot in Safe mode, I would then run several anti malware pieces of software.

mustang8998
04-02-2009, 07:07 PM
hmmm , ok since you can get into the task manager try this. When task manager is open click on help. Click on task manager help topics. From there type run system restore into the box and hit enter. Click on What is system restore. Towards the very bottom you will see something that says "click to open system restore". Click that then set a date you want to go back to. This should solve your problem.

Tried that. There is nothing in the help menu, about system restore.

If it wont boot in to safe mode chances are you got some dying hardware. Will's suggestion is a good one. But it is is easier to just do a "Last Known Good Config" in the F8 startup menu.

It would only bring up a dark screen, with a header and safe mode in either lower corner.

I also tried "last known good config" and it got me right back to the background and picture, but still no icons or tool bar.

Do you see Safe Mode on the F8 menu or is it that you can't get the F8 menu to come up??

Safe mode loads the minimal amount of drivers to run Windows. If Windows fails to load in Safe Mode you probably have a driver or DLL that is missing or corrupt. You may have to reinstall Windows. Not having the original disks will make this pretty hard. What version of the OS are you running??

If you can get it to boot in Safe mode, I would then run several anti malware pieces of software.

I'm running Windows XP. As I stated, I did get it to boot, in safe mode, but just a dark screen.

I'm just frustrated as hell, right now. I did everything I could, to avoid a virus and I'm always running a virus scan (I ran Windows Live scan and afterwards it ran better than it has, in a long time). I run a spyware program, just about every time I'm on too. Guess the old girl, is dying on me.

Black Horse
04-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Time to call AJ!

mach_u
04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Time to call AJ!
:angel: :coo1:

PaulFiveOh
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
It would only bring up a dark screen, with a header and safe mode in either lower corner.

I also tried "last known good config" and it got me right back to the background and picture, but still no icons or tool bar.

Your shit's fragged (as in blown the fuck up)