.... I Have a 2000 Mustang Gt 5 speed.

Master power t70 A/R .96
60# injectors + Pmas to go with it
75mm Accufab throttle body + plenum
tial 38mm (i think) wastgate
hks BOV
3" intercooler tubing
+ more crap to go with it....

Here's my problem..... My turbo was not creation boost till 2500 and not full boost to around 6k... ( full boost is 8psi)

They said could be two things... Boost leak or exhaust leak.........
Took it home and checked all piping and did a pressure test and was pretty well sealed. Put on lift to check any exhaust leaks.. Could not find any..

So here I sit with over 3k invested and the damn thing don't work. The only thing I can think of is the turbo to big or something, and I know it's not because alot of mustang have the same turbo. Or something to do with the fins in the turbo.... Any help would be great......

If somebody would like to lend a hand and give their brain a strain it would be greatly appreciated. I could drive to your house if you don't mind.....

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
A .96 ar housing is going to develop boost farther up in the rpm range. Where are you trying to make boost? Is the turbo new? What spring do you have in the wastegate?

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
ya it's brand new. 2 days old...... but I figured it should be full boost around 3k.. hell by the time it's full boost i have to shift kinda useless

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:07 PM
You will need a smaller housing to make boost sooner. I am using a .68 housing and was seeing boost at about 2500 and full boost about 3200-3400. I am probably going to a bigger housing now with my mod motor. If you want to see the difference you can try mine, the housings just simply swap out. You will see boost sooner. What wastegate are you using?

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
What gear do you have in the rearend? Lower numeric gear ratios put more of a load on the engine which you need to help spool it.
Most 5.0L guys use the .96 A/R, but I don't know enough about the mod motors to be sure. Did you just buy the turbo, or did one of the MP vendors spec it out for you?

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey Mfield that would be awesome if you would let me use your a/r .68 housing.... Do you think you could pm me your number? If your housing work's good i'd be willing to trade you since you want a bigger one anyway.... Mine has 200 miles on it lol.... And ya I bought it at a dealer somwhere florida or something like that... And ya he said it would be just right for mine.... And i have stock gears

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Where are you located?

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Rick I was using the .68 to keep the rpm's down on my old motor. It worked pretty good until the block split. It pulled up to 5800 to 6000 before it leveled out.

Rick93coupe
Hopefully the smaller housing works for ya then. When you said it was mostly sealed, does that mean you did find a leak somewhere in the intake tract?

mustangbangher
Cincinnati kind of about 1hr away from you.... when will you be available im free anytime... you can text or call 513 319 4278

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I want to try and get it fixed soon... and take it to the track...

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Hopefully the smaller housing works for ya then. When you said it was mostly sealed, does that mean you did find a leak somewhere in the intake tract?

Ya I have a nice bov that i can't get to work. so I bought a cheap ebay rfl bov and it leaks a little but not enough to really effect it....

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Rick I was using the .68 to keep the rpm's down on my old motor. It worked pretty good until the block split. It pulled up to 5800 to 6000 before it leveled out.

Gotcha, hey whatever works ya know. Your car was definitely getting down with that setup. I was just curious how or if the mod motor acts differently with the larger housing. Back when I was thinking 351/T70 they told me the .96 would be too small for my setup and about perfect for a 302. Who knows, theres a million things that can affect it.

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Ya I have a nice bov that i can't get to work. so I bought a cheap ebay rfl bov and it leaks a little but not enough to really effect it....

I wouldn't rule it out if its leaking at all. 8 psi isn't a boat load of pressure your dealing with. You think you could pull it apart and lap the valve for a better seat?

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Gotcha, hey whatever works ya know. Your car was definitely getting down with that setup. I was just curious how or if the mod motor acts differently with the larger housing. Back when I was thinking 351/T70 they told me the .96 would be too small for my setup and about perfect for a 302. Who knows, theres a million things that can affect it.

Yeah with the extra cubes that wouldnt be enough. I am thinking with the extra airflow of the 4v heads and the rpm's the mod motors like I am going to need to move the range of the turbo. I am also considering going to the new 76mm from Master Power but am going to use what I have for now.

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't rule it out if its leaking at all. 8 psi isn't a boat load of pressure your dealing with. You think you could pull it apart and lap the valve for a better seat?

I agree with Rick, make sure you dont have another problem first. I was running 14 #'s

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM

what do you mean by lap?

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the help guy's

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Well the only leak I have is the bov, and i bypassed it with no bov and did a test and it hold psi . and still does the same thing...

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Yeah with the extra cubes that wouldnt be enough. I am thinking with the extra airflow of the 4v heads and the rpm's the mod motors like I am going to need to move the range of the turbo. I am also considering going to the new 76mm from Master Power but am going to use what I have for now.

You aught to take a look at the S400 Mike, they're so cheap too. They come standard as 75mm and thats what was on the pinks car, that thing was flying! I was going to run one on the Windsor and was talked into the 80mm unit.

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Well the only leak I have is the bov, and i bypassed it with no bov and did a test and it hold psi . and still does the same thing...

Good idea! Hell, swap that housing and let us know how it works.

MFIELD
04-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks will keep that in mind

Rick93coupe
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
what do you mean by lap?

Google it for an example, I'm having computer problems tonight. Sorry.

mustangbangher
04-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Ok thanks.... It's actually not leaking at the seat that i know of... It's leaking around the piston that goes up and down... Im going to cut a groove in it and put a o ring.....

mustangbangher
04-15-2009, 12:49 AM
anybody else have any ideas

facemelter71
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Boostanggt runs a 70 trim with the .96 housing.His spools like theres no tomorrow.And hes on a mod motor.Probly the third or fourth one.

boostanggt
04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Boostanggt runs a 70 trim with the .96 housing.His spools like theres no tomorrow.And hes on a mod motor.Probly the third or fourth one.

LOL I'm sitting here reading and waiting for your smartass comment. I have the same turbo on an 04' GT and I never had that problem. I was getting max boost about 3000 rpm. I have a feeling that you have a bad boost leak in the intake somewhere. You would be able to hear an exhaust leak and if the motor was hurt that badly I'm pretty sure it'd be obvious. Did you forget to put the ring on the wastegate where it bolts to the flange? I'd bet money it's that.

facemelter71
04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh,you were reading through the thread just knowing I would post some thing? Your pretty good. You know me to well.I couldnt help myself.

I have the same turbo as Boostanggt.When Mine was on the car it came from,he never had that problem either.And its also a .96 housing.

bangingears
04-15-2009, 03:22 PM
i'm wit boostang, sounds to me like you left the tiny metal sealing ring off the valve for the wastegate. With car at idle, put your hand over the outlet or dump tube of the wastegate. If ANY exhaust is coming out you found the problem. You are creating a major exhaust leak, and a loss of back pressure in the hot side :bigthumb

mustangbangher
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
There's no exhaust comming out of the dump tube at idle....... and not that i know of running it... because it's loud when it comes out.... and there's two gasket on the wastegate little thin aluminum ones

mustangbangher
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
also don't you think i should creat boost in first gear?

mustangbangher
04-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Just made a run with no bov and wastegate tube had a bag in it to seal it off.. Wastegate did not open and same problem?

MFIELD
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
You definatly have some other kind of issue

mustangbangher
04-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I think it might be the turbo??? It's brand new but still it's a pos to me lol.... anyway i unhooked the piping and held my hand over the turbo. Then I rev the engine to see if it could push my hand off... I know it don't create much boots just reving it but still should see some... it created probably 1psi at 6k i think my car sucks harder then it blows.... Also should i see boost in 1st gear on my last turbo i did.... Also you still want me to come up friday Mike?

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Went to get my Mustang Dynoed today and threw away over 100 bucks.:mad:

.... I Have a 2000 Mustang Gt 5 speed.

Master power t70 A/R .96
60# injectors + Pmas to go with it
75mm Accufab throttle body + plenum
tial 38mm (i think) wastgate
hks BOV
3" intercooler tubing
+ more crap to go with it....

Here's my problem..... My turbo was not creation boost till 2500 and not full boost to around 6k... ( full boost is 8psi)

They said could be two things... Boost leak or exhaust leak.........
Took it home and checked all piping and did a pressure test and was pretty well sealed. Put on lift to check any exhaust leaks.. Could not find any..

So here I sit with over 3k invested and the damn thing don't work. The only thing I can think of is the turbo to big or something, and I know it's not because alot of mustang have the same turbo. Or something to do with the fins in the turbo.... Any help would be great......

If somebody would like to lend a hand and give their brain a strain it would be greatly appreciated. I could drive to your house if you don't mind.....

Well, the other guys with the T70's confirmed what I had read about the .96 housings on the 5.0 . After all the checks you've done I keep coming back to it being some sort of leak in the upper or lower intake. Did you check for stupid stuff like a vacuum line being off somewhere? How did you test for leaks? Mighty vac or something?

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I think it might be the turbo??? It's brand new but still it's a pos to me lol.... anyway i unhooked the piping and held my hand over the turbo. Then I rev the engine to see if it could push my hand off... I know it don't create much boots just reving it but still should see some... it created probably 1psi at 6k i think my car sucks harder then it blows.... Also should i see boost in 1st gear on my last turbo i did.... Also you still want me to come up friday Mike?

Your motor needs a load to build boost, its just the way it works. I wouldn't expect to get anywhere with that test, unless you just wanted to make sure the inducer was spinning. Its gotta be a leak.

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 12:03 AM
Boostanggt runs a 70 trim with the .96 housing.His spools like theres no tomorrow.And hes on a mod motor.Probly the third or fourth one. What do you mean by the third or fourth one?

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Did you check for stupid stuff like a vacuum line being off somewhere? How did you test for leaks? Mighty vac or something?

A little end cap I made that fit's in the tubing where the turbo connects and has a tire valve on it then you put pressure in it and check it with a gauge lol....

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 12:15 AM
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/boostleaks.htm

Like this?

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 12:17 AM
http://buickgn.com/boostleaktester.htm

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Ya I have something like that tool but don't think I did it correctly That video was very helpful Ill do it that way in the morning.... But what if it's not a boost leak problem? lol

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 12:34 AM
I'll bet my left nut, I'm tired of sitting on that mofo anyway! :bigthumb:

facemelter71
04-16-2009, 09:29 AM
What do you mean by the third or fourth one?

Blake is a little "ahem" hard on the 2v mod motors.He enjoys swapping them in and out all the time.And is really good at picking the most busted brokedick mod motor out of a hole junkyard full of 2v's.
I know that when I built my buddies B-16 civic with a Garret To4E turbo,it took alittle time for it to kinda wear in and get to spinning good.
Also make sure the big orange o-ring on the compressor side isnt missing or isnt broke.

boostanggt
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Dude idk what to tell ya. The only thing it keeps coming down to is boost leak in the manifold somewhere. I would try the old starting fluid trick and see if you can find a leak somewhere.

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
there has to be something im missing...... did a boost leak check and holds 9psi for a full min before it drops down to 8psi.... So there is a leak.... but it's very small leak and don't think that would cause any big problems..... So as of now i believe somebody owes me a Left nut.....

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Dude idk what to tell ya. The only thing it keeps coming down to is boost leak in the manifold somewhere. I would try the old starting fluid trick and see if you can find a leak somewhere.

I think I might try the starting fluid/gas and a match trick!!!:lol:

Rick93coupe
04-16-2009, 05:06 PM
there has to be something im missing...... did a boost leak check and holds 9psi for a full min before it drops down to 8psi.... So there is a leak.... but it's very small leak and don't think that would cause any big problems..... So as of now i believe somebody owes me a Left nut.....

:lol: Damn it, I guess I'll have to move the middle one into the left position..lol. Have you been on Turbomustangs.com? Maybe a few guys on there have some ideas.

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Ok found a leak in the exhaust.... it's about the size of a pin needle don't think that would be a big problem.... but going to weld it shut......

mustangbangher
04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't know if this will affect it any but i have a stock motor.... doubt it but just thought i would add that in... So I guess my last option is to try the a/r .68

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Still no clue?

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Will trade my .96 housing for a .68

MFIELD
04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Dude if you want to trade, I'll trade ya but I still think you have something else going wrong. Take yours apart and bring it to me and I'll trade.

P.S. you were supposed to send me some pics. I'm trying to help ya save some money and find the problem instead of just swapping parts.

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Sorry man just been busy..... ill send them to you Thank's for the help also

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Ok I uploaded them to photobucked The turbo in the picture is not my turbo fyi just was for test fitting.... Click this link

http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/rangerbangher/?action=view&current=0103091731.jpg

MFIELD
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Ok, having trouble figuring out your setup is from the pics but is your turbo fed from both sides of the engine? ie a y-pipe? How does the pipe get from the headers to the turbo? It looks like your coming from the rear of the engine back around to the front. Again just trying to help and cant figure out your pics. Here is a pic of mine, does your look something like this?

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks similar to that... But I have stock exhaust manifold they go from the manifold y into 1 then infront of the engine....

MFIELD
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
What size is the pipe coming to the turbo? What size going out of it?

MFIELD
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
How did you change direction to bring the pipe back forward? I wonder if you have to much pipe in front of the turbo to spool it properly. When it builds boost does it have a high pitch whine or like a lower pitch one?

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 07:53 PM
2 2.5 exhaust into one then out with 2.5 into 2 2.5 and when it spools it kinda a high pitch i guess

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
and the bend is a nice free flow bend.... and mine don't have much more pipe than yours.... maybe a foot more

MFIELD
04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
One thing is you really need 3" out of the turbo then you could split it to 2 2.5". I'd still like to see it sometime and try and help you out but I dont know how soon it will be.

mustangbangher
04-20-2009, 08:04 PM
well i had a downpipe that was only like 3 foot and still did the same thing.... And im probably taking the pos to the cruze in so everybody can make fun of me lol..... but if you have time just let me know....

mustangbangher
05-03-2009, 12:02 AM
well I planed on making it to the cruze in but I have been working for 6 10 hour days getting it painted it.... Tomorrow morning It all goes back together hope I can make it.... Sorry Mfield but I have not had time to get on here. I know your a great guy and just trying to help me but I would still like to trade... If your going to the cruze in let me know and ill bring my housing and trade you

2l8iwn
05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
i have a stock 5.0 with similar setup with a .68 a/r and my setup starts to shit an git at 2800. U really need to try the .68. I agree with mfield though it does sound like somethings off.

2l8iwn
05-12-2009, 03:29 PM
also you might want to see if the wastegate has the seal ring installed. posted below it is the metal piece to the right. When i ordered my initial kit it was missing. Caused a similar situation. http://himni-racing.com/images/Tial%2038mm%20wastegate.JPG

mustangbangher
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks to Mfield I think I got the problem fixed...... now I have a exhaust leak so have to fix that and see how it goes... but as of now it's spooling at 5 psi at 3k and 7 at 4..... Thank's everybody ill keep you updated after the new headers and exhaust fixed....

2l8iwn
05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
keep us updated. I checked out your pics and i like your setup. Are you just venting the wastegate out or are you recirculating the dump back into the exhaust? looks vented but i couldnt tell.

brandon

mustangbangher
05-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks but yes it's vented.... dumps in front of the tire.

mustangbangher
05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Ok fixed exhaust and it's like night and day difference...... It is full boost at around 2300 in first gear.... I love it except now I got another problem...:mad: I have a 7 pound spring in it and it goes over 7 psi ? I don't have any vaccum lines hooked up to the waste gate just spring....

Rick93coupe
05-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Makes me wonder if it was the exhaust leak the whole time.
Your gate might not be big enough, what size is it?

mustangbangher
05-13-2009, 07:15 PM
No the exhaust leak was not there with the old turbo housing.... I did pressure checks.... I put a hole in when i bottomed out... :) and I think the gate is 30 or 40?

Rick93coupe
05-13-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.bankspower.com/techarticles/show/15-how-a-turbo-wastegate-works

The gate needs a reference from the manifold.