PDA

View Full Version : United charging obese passengers for two seats

02mingryGT
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm sure those that fly will appreciate this more than others but I have to agree with the policy.

http://cbs2chicago.com/business/united.overweight.passengers.2.985271.html

Maximus
04-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I agree with it. Im sure the ACLU will have something to say about it thou.:rolleyes:

facemelter71
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good plane.

her90LX
04-15-2009, 04:25 PM
I 100% agree with it. Brad and I had a similar issue when we flew to Vegas on our honeymoon. The woman next to us was beyond being too big for the seat she was assigned and I got stuck sitting next to her. It was extremely embarassing for her and uncomfortable for me. Luckily we only had to fly from Louisville to Chicago and she wasn't on the next flight. Besides I am paying for comfort to, not my fault she couldn't fit into her seat.

NUTTSGT
04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I see no problem in it. It cost more fuel to haul their big ass to the next destination, why not make them pay for it.

Not to mention possibly being trapped (blocked in by a obese person)in an emergency situation and having to try and get around them.

Blackpony
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I say it's about time they began charging. I'm tired of getting seated next to the fat lady

1byafender
04-15-2009, 07:50 PM
you know im a bigger fella and u guys just hurt my fillans. u know maybe they should just make some bigger seats.

1byafender
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I see no problem in it. It cost more fuel to haul their big ass to the next destination, why not make them pay for it.

Not to mention possibly being trapped (blocked in by a obese person)in an emergency situation and having to try and get around them.

Thats not very nice to call people big asses.

Rick93coupe
04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
UPS, Fedex and the US post office all charge by weight and size, whats the difference? My understanding is that it takes more fuel to haul heavier objects. Seems like pretty sound logic to me.

1byafender
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
UPS, Fedex and the US post office all charge by weight and size, whats the difference? My understanding is that it takes more fuel to haul heavier objects. Seems like pretty sound logic to me.

So i guess when u go to buy a ticket they should weigh u first then charge u by the pound.

k062693w
04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
So i guess when u go to buy a ticket they should weigh u first then charge u by the pound.

EXACTLY !!! I'm 6'5" and go about 270, So because I'm not 5'2" and weigh 120lbs I should have to pay more for an Airline Ticket :confused:
Maybe all the little people should take the bus ??? LMAO

Rick93coupe
04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

Makes sense to me.

Why do you think it costs more to send a big package than a little one?

1byafender
04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
so since your short, should u be charged extra for using a booster seat when u go out to eat?

k062693w
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
so since your short, should u be charged extra for using a booster seat when u go out to eat?

:lol: OMFG !!! :lol: I just about fell out of my chair !!! LMFAO :lol:

1byafender
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Makes sense to me.

Why do you think it costs more to send a big package than a little one?

Where talking about people not packages.

Jeff88coupe
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
you know im a bigger fella and u guys just hurt my fillans. u know maybe they should just make some bigger seats.

They do..it's called first class.

cstreu1026
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Hasn't southwest been doing this for a while now or were they just tossing the idea around a couple of years ago?

Rick93coupe
04-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Damn that was funny. :D

Rick93coupe
04-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Where talking about people not packages.

People are packages. You pay a premium to be picked up and delivered to the desired destination.

Blackpony
04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Have any of the airlines posted a weight on what they would consider obese.

Black92LX
04-16-2009, 08:12 AM
If someone takes up two seats, why should they not pay for two seats????

If you can fit in the confines of the seat that is fine, but it you take up more space then you should pay for it.

sean
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
It needs to happen everywhere. I am not against really fat people, I am against being anywhere where I have to sit sideways so we dont do the all uncumfy knee touch thing. I hate being at the movies or esp the ball park and have to damn near be sitting in the other persons lap. I sit sideways and cant get any where near the are rest. They usually have food in the damn thing anyway. I say if you get seated by a huge person, they should at least have to share their food.

02mingryGT
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Have any of the airlines posted a weight on what they would consider obese.

Under the rules outlined by United, passengers who "are unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin; are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or are unable to put the seat's armrests down when seated" will be denied boarding unless they purchase an extra seat.

So it has nothing to do with height only width.

I agree with it. Im sure the ACLU will have something to say about it thou.:rolleyes:

Nope. Too late, precedent with smokers. Once everybody agreed to take away smokers rights it opened the door. Fat people are next. Next, your candy, donuts and cola are all getting taxed since there won't be enough smokers to pay for illegal Juan's children's insurance.

Blackpony
04-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Under the rules outlined by United, passengers who "are unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin; are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or are unable to put the seat's armrests down when seated" will be denied boarding unless they purchase an extra seat.

So it has nothing to do with height only width.

Nope. Too late, precedent with smokers. Once everybody agreed to take away smokers rights it opened the door. Fat people are next. Next, your candy, donuts and cola are all getting taxed since there won't be enough smokers to pay for illegal Juan's children's insurance.

American people are a little bigger then people in other countries

02mingryGT
04-18-2009, 07:32 AM
American people are a little bigger then people in other countries

That's an understatement. :lol:

04 Venom
04-18-2009, 10:04 AM
If someone takes up two seats, why should they not pay for two seats????

If you can fit in the confines of the seat that is fine, but it you take up more space then you should pay for it.

I agree.

mach_u
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I think it's an excellent idea. One of the worst flying experiences was enduring the 13hr flight from New Zealand wedged between two fat ladies. It was horrible!

They do..it's called first class.
Exactly!

Which would mean less people on the plane, which equals higher ticket prices - which means everybody else has to pay the difference for an individual's personal choices... Hardly seems fair! :rolleyes:

02mingryGT
04-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh snap! Told you they were next:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2387203.ece

2007ShelbyCobra
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. If I am paying hundreds of dollars for a seat in a flight, I want it to be well worth my money. If I have someone to large to fit into their own seat, therefore creating discomfort for me, and disturbing my flight, I am not going to be happy. Im not saying it is the big man/womens fault, but being forced to sit in an uncomfortable position for hours is not fun. I know they try to make the seats the most economical size, and that is to small for some people. It just seems silly though to have to re design an entire plane for a certain type of people, and having one section for bigger people wouldnt be very practicle either. I think that charging the person for two seats wont be the problem solver however......but me creating my own XL AIRLINE would be.

FireStang02
04-20-2009, 10:25 PM
I think it's an excellent idea. One of the worst flying experiences was enduring the 13hr flight from New Zealand wedged between two fat ladies. It was horrible!

Exactly!

Which would mean less people on the plane, which equals higher ticket prices - which means everybody else has to pay the difference for an individual's personal choices... Hardly seems fair! :rolleyes:

Are you serious? That just shows true ignorance. It is not always personal choices.

mach_u
04-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Are you serious? That just shows true ignorance. It is not always personal choices.
Now we are just splitting hairs. Granted there is some obesity that is out of the control of the individual, but it's the exception, not the norm. We are already paying higher health care costs due to an obesity epidemic in this county, why should we pay higher airfare also? I hardly think that's an ignorant statement but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. ;)

thecollector
04-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I travel. Last week I was in goergia. Today I am in La Porte, Tx. Friday I will be in Colorado. While I dont mean to turn this into a hog bash I have noticed the travel industry catering to overweight people. Handicapped shuttles in airports are occupied 80% by people who are just overweight-maybe they wouldn't be so overweight if they had to sprint from gate to gate like I do to catch connecting flights. No instead they ride on a shuttle and snack on fried chicken like royalty. The special treatment doesn't end at the gates, it continues thru the terminal and into the parking lot. They will pick them up at the gate, take them to luggage check and cart them out to there car. I travel with one carry on, a laptop bag that I stow under the seat. I have two checked bags. A small suitecase with clothes, and a toolbox weighing 75-150 pounds. No one has ever offered to give me a ride to my rental car or shuttle me gate to the gate even when the airline F's up and gives me negative 2 minutes to get thru 0.75 mile of terminal.

A weight surcharge is added to my luggage for it being overweight even though it takes up no additional space. I understand since this item is heavier it costs more to transport, it is a relatively simple concept. Passengers should be no exception. I am ussually able to avoid sitting next to the oversized people however most passengers can still suffer. Size 52 underwear takes up more space in the carryon stashed overhead so the large individual takes up two seats and additional storage. Now as modern as aircraft are they are designed to maximize payload and profit. Isleways are cramped and large individuals hold up the entire flight when it comes time to disembarke.

When anything is shipped freight it is costed based on weight and size. There is a baseline figure for average weights. Commercial airlines should be no different.

thecollector
04-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I travel. Last week I was in goergia. Today I am in La Porte, Tx. Friday I will be in Colorado. While I dont mean to turn this into a hog bash I have noticed the travel industry catering to overweight people. Handicapped shuttles in airports are occupied 80% by people who are just overweight-maybe they wouldn't be so overweight if they had to sprint from gate to gate like I do to catch connecting flights. No instead they ride on a shuttle and snack on fried chicken like royalty. The special treatment doesn't end at the gates, it continues thru the terminal and into the parking lot. They will pick them up at the gate, take them to luggage check and cart them out to there car. I travel with one carry on, a laptop bag that I stow under the seat. I have two checked bags. A small suitecase with clothes, and a toolbox weighing 75-150 pounds. No one has ever offered to give me a ride to my rental car or shuttle me gate to the gate even when the airline F's up and gives me negative 2 minutes to get thru 0.75 mile of terminal.

A weight surcharge is added to my luggage for it being overweight even though it takes up no additional space. I understand since this item is heavier it costs more to transport, it is a relatively simple concept. Passengers should be no exception. I am ussually able to avoid sitting next to the oversized people however most passengers can still suffer. Size 52 underwear takes up more space in the carryon stashed overhead so the large individual takes up two seats and additional storage. Now as modern as aircraft are they are designed to maximize payload and profit. Isleways are cramped and large individuals hold up the entire flight when it comes time to disembarke.

When anything is shipped freight it is costed based on weight and size. There is a baseline figure for average weights. Commercial airlines should be no different.

Sorry, Rant over.

02mingryGT
04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Good reading. Reminded me of that Disney cartoon WALL-E when you were talking about catering to the fat people. My point of starting this is to show the correlation between this and smoking. Nobody cared when they took smokers rights. Now though this is a private business starting it, is just the beginning for the obese. Expect taxes on sweets and cola. Then your insurance company will be telling you want you can and can't eat. This is just the beginning. But I do believe obese people should lose weight just for there own personal well-being.

Katmandu
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
is just the beginning for the obese. Expect taxes on sweets and cola. Then your insurance company will be telling you want you can and can't eat.Sooner than later.

This is just the beginning. But I do believe obese people should lose weight just for there own personal well-being.On that note, I personally know (3) folks that "were" morbidly obese that had that stomach stapling procedure (not sure the medical term for it).

The results for these (3) folks was absolutely amazing! The weight just fell off the people like nothing! They all said they feel great and highly recommend the procedure to other obese folks.