PDA

View Full Version : my turn to get laid off

tcorns
04-16-2009, 02:22 AM
my last day is may 1 and i will then be unemployed for the first time since high school! walking out the door with enough to take a few months off and the state is going to send me back to school to get retrained (hopefully i will get approved). nice weather coming up, so i will be able to get a bunch of stuff done in the yard. after that... i don't have a clue. so any reccomendations from the folks that have spent some significat time at home?

trev

Pops Fun
04-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Sorry to hear that!! Good Luck in school!

Blackpony
04-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Sorry to hear. Hope the state gets you in right away.

02mingryGT
04-16-2009, 04:31 PM
i don't have a clue. so any reccomendations from the folks that have spent some significat time at home?

trev

After the first month it completely sucks and you start feeling like an Obama supporter.

tcorns
04-16-2009, 11:04 PM
thanks guys. the aviation industry is pretty much in the tank and my wife and i knew this was coming.

anybody reccomend a good financial planner so that i can figure out what to do with my severence package.

trev

Goldenpony
04-17-2009, 02:38 PM
I got laid off today too.

beefcake
04-17-2009, 03:15 PM
that sucks guys,

i'll put some good words in for you tonight with the man upstairs

Pops Fun
04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I got laid off today too.

Sorry to hear that Jim!!

JamesjGT
04-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I got laid off back in 2002 and the state paid 100% for me to take truck driving school, They paid for everything even for me to get a new driver license but I'm laid off right now again...lol

Goldenpony
04-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Jim!!

Thanks Steve.

Aweasel
04-17-2009, 05:59 PM
try this one...I graduated in december with a BS in manufacturing engineering...no job yet...AT ALL. laid off in august and have been living extremely frugal on what I made at that job with some help from about 800-1000 in graduation $, no unemployment either:( seriously...nothin like getting that shiny new bachelor's degree in the mail 9 weeks after with no job to show for it let alone a goddamn job at lowes or [insert 1 of the 120+ jobs I've applied for in the past 4 months]

good luck to all those who have more responsibilities, I couldn't imagine being in my situation right now if I had kids/family and more debts.

tcorns
04-17-2009, 10:41 PM
the major thing that makes me happy is theat we have no kids either. just my wife and i and 3 dogs. we found out that my job would be terminated a year ago, and i was surprised to make it this long. instead of really putting any money back we have been tackling bills like crazy. other then the house payment we really have no other worries. would like for the state to pay for my paramedic, but if they choose not to that's ok also. that's the other thing that i have been saving up for. definately is a bad time in the economy to be out of work. so i wish the best to everyone and i can help out where ever.

trev

02mingryGT
04-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Sorry to hear about the rest of you guys being out of work. I was off for about 5 months this last time but finally found another job a month ago. I lucked into it because of my past experience with CAD and running a Material Cutting dept. It's at a local "ballistic protection" company. Their business seems pretty good even in this economy.

I would suggest that you go check out the local Superjobs and sign up for the help there. Mainly for those who want to further their education. Other than that, good luck.