PDA

View Full Version : types of transmissions

sean
04-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I am picking up a transmission on friday(I hope) and I was told there are different variations of the t5. It was explained to me on the phone but I have no idea what was said. Something about a roller trans? I really cant remember. Needle bearings? I was doing 3 things at the same time and wasnt really paying attention to what I should have been.
Any way i think I am trading a quad for this tranny and the guy said he used to race and this one is a built t5 but it sounded like it was a factory built one? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Sean

02mingryGT
04-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Sean,

I don't know much about the T-5(except it sucks) but I know this. My brother blew out third gear in his and he got another one out of a T-Bird and put it in and it works fine. Well I actually helped(did most of the work...lol) I would think you could go to a junk yard and find one. He's on this site but he lives in Atlanta and mostly just lurks here. I'll give him a call today and see if he can chime in on his replacement.

nordi
04-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Thh big difference between the T-5's is input shaft length. A fox body input shaft is shorter than a SN-95 input shaft.

Nordi

mustangjon
04-18-2009, 04:04 PM
basically get a v8 t5... the tbird, and 2.3 mustang ones ect werent as strong. There are a handful of variants but with minor differences in the v8's that if your worrying about the 10 extra ftlb of torque capacity you wouldnt be running a t5 anyhow.