PDA

View Full Version : TPS ?

DeckerEnt
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Put a volt meter on my tps and could only get it down to 1.46 I think it should read as close to 1 as possible, right? Thing is, I took it off the throttle body completely and it stayed at 1.46 Weird like that was the lowest it would go. My motor is running really rough. I even found another tps at the shop and it did the same thing.

Gearhead
04-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Put a volt meter on my tps and could only get it down to 1.46 I think it should read as close to 1 as possible, right? Thing is, I took it off the throttle body completely and it stayed at 1.46 Weird like that was the lowest it would go. My motor is running really rough. I even found another tps at the shop and it did the same thing.

You attaching your voltmeter to the TPS correctly ?? Green TPS wire to your + lead and grounding your - lead ??

Yes, you should get it close to 1.0 as possible. However, anything above .80 and under 1.0 should work. Sometimes you have to grind the slots on the TPS so you can rotate it to get the correct reading.

CNTLOSE
04-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Here is a link from Ford Racing I got when my '88 GT was running like crap. You might have to do it 2 or 3 times but it should help if you do it just as described. This is the other thread it is on under my name about half way down. Also it says .96 - .98 volts, but anything close to that will work. On some TPS you do have elongate the holes...I did on my '88.

http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50727

DeckerEnt
04-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I understand about the adjustment now by reading other forums. The fact still remains, both TPSensors I have when they are not connected to the throttle body don't read below 1.24 for one and 1.46 for the other one. Are both sensors bad? Should I go get a new one?

mustangjon
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
i actually ground his slots out today when he was at the shop because the light came on in my head that his tps might be causing his running issue.. and i put the meter on it and was registering like 1.5.... lowest i could get it was 1.3 so i told him to try the other one. Maybe its just dumb luck and both are crappy, unless somehow something wiring harness/ecm could be scrambling the signal. if you cant round up another one to try, maybe tomm if we get my car home, i'll take mine off and you can try a known working one.

CNTLOSE
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
If he has two I would take one and grind it out as far as need to see what reading you get. What year is the car? or TPS from? I heard up to '88 they were prone to problems (I had an '88). I have heard if it is 89 or new you should not have to open the holes up anymore, and if you can not get the desired reading it will need replaced.

Good Luck!

DeckerEnt
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
No matter how far I adjust them, the lowest reading they will have both put me over 1.2 volts. That puts the puter into part throttle mode and dump in more fuel and spark. Only it is at idle which messes with how it runs.

Paul408Notch
04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
How's the EEC ground? I've seen a couple of issues similar to these that were fixed with a bigger/better ground.

DeckerEnt
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I will check them tomorrow. I need to crawl all under the dash looking for grounds that weren't hooked up. Maybe that will solve some of my issues.

rmracing
04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Does the car idle high by chance ?

DeckerEnt
04-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Yep. Stock tach says somewhere around 1500 unless it is loping. Rich as hell too...did some research and volt readings above 1.2 tell the puter part throttle, which means more fuel and spark.

rmracing
04-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I had an intermittant very high idle problem a few years ago . I would disconnect the tps and it would idle. It ended up being a bad conection inthe salt and pepper conectors by the fire wall . I took them apart and cleaned them and bent the terminals a little to make a tighter connection and it fixed my problem . I dont know if it will fix yours but its worth a shot.

DeckerEnt
04-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I will check that out. I will post up what i find out.