PDA

View Full Version : Need a welder (person) to repair frame mounts

ADaughen
05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
A chassis mount on my '94 S10 Blazer 4x4 just gave way. Another one or two probably need to be reinforced, repaired, or just plain replaced.

If anyone knows someone who is good with a welder, reasonable with prices and willing to take a look at it (hopefully in Dayton area...) I would be appreciative.

Also, anyone know of a good place to pick up new frame bushings?

Adam
937-626-7195

ADaughen
05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I just crawled up under there. Both front chassis mounts are caved in. The left one has no lower bumper (rubber piece below the frame mount).

I'd need the front lifted off, the old junk ripped out and two new pieces of steel welded in.

ADaughen
05-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Nobody? C'mon, please, my little welder can't do the job. :(

The junkyard gas tank I got for it has pinholes in it, too. Better than the one that is on the truck right now, but still bad... I can weld that up, but it still has fumes in it. Any bets on how big the fireball will be? :eek:

347sc
05-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Nobody? C'mon, please, my little welder can't do the job. :(

The junkyard gas tank I got for it has pinholes in it, too. Better than the one that is on the truck right now, but still bad... I can weld that up, but it still has fumes in it. Any bets on how big the fireball will be? :eek:

Fill it with water.

ADaughen
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Fill it with water.

It was hard enough to get the bad gas out... now you want me to put water in it. :lol: Besides, I can only fill it 1/2 full before it starts leaking.

I'm thinking of rigging some dryer tubing to the pump housing and hooking up a small fan to it to suck the fumes out.

89notch
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
It was hard enough to get the bad gas out... now you want me to put water in it. :lol: Besides, I can only fill it 1/2 full before it starts leaking.

I'm thinking of rigging some dryer tubing to the pump housing and hooking up a small fan to it to suck the fumes out.

It had better be a non sparking motor before you try to suck the fumes out with a fan.

facemelter71
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Never weld a gas tank.Dont cheap out and buy a junkyard one,buy one from AZ.Thats where I got mine from for the coupe.When I got it from a friend it had a pinhole in it where the strap was,I was going to weld it,but my dad said that would be a bad idea,so I spent the money and got a new one.
BRAND NEW gas tank for your blazer is about 105.

ADaughen
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Never weld a gas tank.Dont cheap out and buy a junkyard one,buy one from AZ.Thats where I got mine from for the coupe.When I got it from a friend it had a pinhole in it where the strap was,I was going to weld it,but my dad said that would be a bad idea,so I spent the money and got a new one.
BRAND NEW gas tank for your blazer is about 105.

You're right, but add shipping a large item and I'm out way more than I can spend on someone's vehicle. A tank from a yard is only ~$20-50. Unfortunately, I gambled and lost.

I'm fixing up parts on the truck as they fail just to keep it running while my Mazda is in the shop (3 months and $4500 so far :( ). The exhaust fell off last month. The month before that was brakes. February it was the heater core, blower motor and fan switch. Tires still need replaced... :doh:

If I had a proper shop/tools, I'd pump inert gas into the tank and be done with it. Of course, if I had the cash, I'd have just ordered all the parts I needed from LMC Truck, and been done with that. My sister would come back from college with a whole new truck then. :bigthumb

facemelter71
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I can have that gas tank at my work in 15 minutes.And I wont even charge you shipping.Its in stock and ready for you to buy it.

ADaughen
05-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I can have that gas tank at my work in 15 minutes.And I wont even charge you shipping.Its in stock and ready for you to buy it.

Let me see what this week's repairs on the Mazda do to my wallet. I may have to take you up on that offer.

Do you do frame bushings, too?

facemelter71
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Not right now I cant.I have 1 bulging and 1 herniated disc in my back.So im kinda limited as to what I can do.

Black Horse
05-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Simple repair for pin-hole leak in gas tank: Clean spot where leaking with paint thinner (not gasoline), apply liberal amount of epoxy to area of leak, thread a small sheet metal screw directly into the pin hole, cover the screw with more epoxy.

I made this repair on my truck 10 years ago and it has yet to leak.

ADaughen
05-07-2009, 03:24 PM
It had better be a non sparking motor before you try to suck the fumes out with a fan.

You don't want me to make a cheap gas turbine engine? :lol:

Not right now I cant.I have 1 bulging and 1 herniated disc in my back.So im kinda limited as to what I can do.

Sorry to hear about that. Dad's been fighting with his for a while. You try shark cartalidge(sp) at all?

Simple repair for pin-hole leak in gas tank: Clean spot where leaking with paint thinner (not gasoline), apply liberal amount of epoxy to area of leak, thread a small sheet metal screw directly into the pin hole, cover the screw with more epoxy.

I made this repair on my truck 10 years ago and it has yet to leak.

I have about five holes in the back, but with the design on these it is the weakest/thinnest spot on the tank.

I was going to hit it with POR-15 then a coat of bedliner-in-a-can before I found the holes.

Since no one advises welding, I can either go the epoxy route, the JBWeld route, or break down and buy a new tank...