PDA

View Full Version : 2v mod motor guys SCHOOL ME!!

BIZLE
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
ok i just bought my first mod motor car and im pretty much clueless?
i guess my questions are where should i spend my money for the best bang for the buck
its a 03 gt auto yes i said auto im getting old and lazy and im on the damm phone so much im loving the auto part
anyhow i was thinking 410s or 430s the car already has a cai and exhaust
im really dont care for the exhaust it has a bbk x pipe and flows and its a little to loud so im thinking of changing the x pipe to ???

how well do these cars respond to a tune?
what gear size?
is it worth the time and money to do a set of headers?

like i said im lost
not looking to build a race car just a fun driver :bigthumb

Dirtyd0g
05-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Want the best performance you need a 4200+ stall and 4.30 gears. Probably going to need some transmission upgrades too but because you have the best of these transmissions it won't cost a fortune to do. Otherwise I would go with long tubes and exhaust. A good set of cams helps too.
Alan

plated
05-12-2009, 06:19 AM
get a tune on it clarence,best money i've spent so far hands down

plated
05-12-2009, 06:33 AM
get a tune on it clarence,best money i've spent so far hands down

i'd go with 410's but it will shift so soon it will drive you crazy,but with a tune it will rip,but don't do 410's with out a tune,tune and gears should be a mid/low 13's easily on street tires:cool2:

BIZLE
05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
nice! thats what im going to do
hey man congrats on the new baby!

cstreu1026
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I like the idea of the 4.30's and the converter. Throw some cams in it with all the usual bolt-ons and it will be a blast to drive.

Dirtyd0g
05-12-2009, 05:14 PM
You'll need a tune after the rest of the mods. Once you do 4.30's a tune is mandatory with an auto because it won't know what to do.
Alam

e5shea
05-17-2009, 09:57 PM
4.30 gears
Comp 270 cams
SCT tuner

Dirtyd0g
05-17-2009, 10:47 PM
4.30 gears
Comp 270 cams
SCT tuner

With a stock converter and unmodifed transmission you will have a ticking timebomb at the rpms you will be running. You'll need a billet cover and a sprial retainer on the reverse drum to keep it together.
Alan

Wolvrin704
05-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Having flows you'll want an H midpipe, they sound better with a chambered muffler than the X.

I'll join in on the chorous as well, best bang for the buck mods on an auto.

4.10 gears
Tune/tuner
Stall convertor

On these cars I could be wrong but form my reading L/T's are worth it more once you do allot more mods with some or all of the following....cams, F/I, heads, etc....

And in case you aren't aware, the 2V's bottom end is only good to somewhere around 450 rwhp. Once you start getting close to 450 you're sitting on a ticking time bomb and will need to beef it up with forged internals. But since you're just wanting a fun driver I doubt you'll ever get the far unless you get bit by the bug.

redfirepearlgt
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Had an 02 - 5 speed before my current. I went with 4.10 and was not at all let down. The car works well with this gear on the manual. A must for seat of the pants noticable changes.

I ran several configurations (each too loud) on my 02 before settling on Bassani high flow X-pipe and magnaflow exhaust (the oval muffler setup not the loud one). Good tone to the car and minimal drone in the cockpit.

Other add ons I did was 75mm throttle body, K/N cold air kit, aluminum drive shaft, and MSD C.O.P. modules, and custom dyno tune from local mustang shop. All helped a bit, but the gears,exhaust, and tune were the big helps. WIth an auto the tune will be even more inportant and help as well.

boostanggt
05-26-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't waste your money on cams.. It's a lot of money for 30-50 hp. Boost is where it's at on these motors. As long as you can keep it in a safe boost range you'll be fine.

99MustangGTman
05-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Tune for a bolt-on 2V is worthless IMO. Too much money for too little hp. Just invest the money in a supercharger. I would go with 410s since its an auto, 430s may be a little much.

If you do headers, get LTs, no exception, shorties are the biggest waste of money on a 2V , there has been shown 0hp increase and just a waste of time to install them. Its a bitch on the 2V.

Dirtyd0g
05-30-2009, 09:35 PM
More importantly with an auto buy good headers. I have an o2 here with gibson headers that are the biggest junk I have ever seen. You can't beat the quality and fit of kooks.
Alan