PDA

View Full Version : Help spark plugs

Steves LX
05-13-2009, 05:26 AM
O.K. this is not mustang related but is Ford related. I have a 2004 F150 with a 2 valve 4.6L. I have heard of some of the nightmares on changing spark plus in these things. Are there any tricks to getting the plugs out withoput the threads coming out with them? And also what if any is the trick to getting the boots out of the hole when they come off of the coilpack? The first one I messed with came off the coilpack. I tried to work it out with a pair of needle nose pliers and low and behold it just keeps tearing off in chunks. Any help would be appreciated.

bangingears
05-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I have done a few of them. Make sure engine is warm, but not hot. Soak the crap out of them with PB blaster or something similar. Let it soak for a half hour or so. Then break them loose and work them back and forth till they are out. Kind of time consuming but better then breaking them. I have the tool for removing them if they due break. The newest style of plug has a smaller head on it, so it is less likely to cause future issues.

cobradon
05-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Steve u forgot to mention that it was midnight in Indy at a rest stop.:lol:with no tools:D

Stangman
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Hey Steve u forgot to mention that it was midnight in Indy at a rest stop.:lol:with no tools:D

I told him not to mess with it!!!

Didnt I Steve? :D

Seriously though... sorry I didnt call you back. I was still passed out then I was running late, lol