PDA

View Full Version : gm closeing 1,100 dealerships

plated
05-15-2009, 06:40 AM
looks like ups will be delivering the bad new gm is closing 1,100 dealerships starting today,between chrysler and gm unemployment will be hitting the roof sad times let me tell ya:o

bobtsgt
05-15-2009, 07:27 AM
yep very sad it has came to this. Although some places will be fine that have a mix of used cars and new. They loose the new car contract but can remain open as a used car dealer. They listed a couple of places last night on the news. Joe Kidd on Beechmont being one of them. Kinda sad because I use to work there and still know a couple of people there.

BigBadStang
05-15-2009, 07:47 AM
This is just round 1. They estimate to cut maybe 1,500 more during round 2.

cstreu1026
05-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I hate to see it come to that and I haven't quite figured out how closing dealerships will help these companies. I would think the more people see your product the more likely they are to buy it. I did hear that 50% of the dealerships that Chrysler is closing sell fewer than 100 new cars a year.

beefcake
05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
yep, alot of chryslers closing, my sister manages the body shop at northgate, i didn't see her name on the list.

i don't know the rational, i hear stuff like less distribution costs, etc..

i know ford instead of just closing bought back smaller dealerships for the same reason

they bought back our montgomery store last year, but we actually got money for it vs just putting us out to pasture, we bought the entire inventory at our beechmont store when they closed so that was good too

we had like 600 new cars and trucks then on the lot, ridiculous

Stangman
05-15-2009, 10:15 AM
yep, alot of chryslers closing, my sister manages the body shop at northgate, i didn't see her name on the list.

i don't know the rational, i hear stuff like less distribution costs, etc..

i know ford instead of just closing bought back smaller dealerships for the same reason

they bought back our montgomery store last year, but we actually got money for it vs just putting us out to pasture, we bought the entire inventory at our beechmont store when they closed so that was good too

we had like 600 new cars and trucks then on the lot, ridiculous

Wow.. thats a lot of cars

Terry, let me ask you... where was the OLD beechmont ford? my '77 Mustang was bought brand new there

beefcake
05-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Wow.. thats a lot of cars

Terry, let me ask you... where was the OLD beechmont ford? my '77 Mustang was bought brand new there

as long as i have been able to get over here, it's been here, not sure where it was b4 here