PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Top Fuel Dragster VS Pontiac G6

Steves LX
05-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Mike Dunn used Doug Herbert's Top Fuel dragster to race a brand new Pontiac G6 to show just how quick a T/F dragster accelerates.

The dragster is only on the throttle for 1 second and the Pontiac is FULL THROTTLE for the entire length of the track and it still cant catch the coasting Top Fuel dragster!

THE POINT OF THIS VIDEO IS NOT HOW SLOW THE STOCK VEHICLE IS...... IT'S ABOUT HOW QUICK THE T/F DRAGSTER ACCELERATES!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6gseaIIJU&feature=player_embedded

BigBadStang
05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
The best look was from inside the G6 at the tree! :bigthumb

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
There's that old comparison between TF and NASCAR that says if you let a stock car get a full lap to get up to speed, and it passed the starting line of a 1/4 mile stretch at top speed while the TF car was at a dead stop, the TF car would still make it to the finish line before the stock car makes it to half track. THAT is incredible.

The video...yeah you're pretty much turning on a 100mph switch just blipping the throttle in the TF car, while the G6 takes almost the whole pass to make it to 100mph so it's kinda no surprise.

USMCPONY
05-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Haha, I just had one of those as a rental car because my Hummer was in for service. They are very fast from 0-40 after that they are ok.

Mista Bone
05-20-2009, 04:50 AM
There's that old comparison between TF and NASCAR that says if you let a stock car get a full lap to get up to speed, and it passed the starting line of a 1/4 mile stretch at top speed while the TF car was at a dead stop, the TF car would still make it to the finish line before the stock car makes it to half track. THAT is incredible.

The video...yeah you're pretty much turning on a 100mph switch just blipping the throttle in the TF car, while the G6 takes almost the whole pass to make it to 100mph so it's kinda no surprise.

It wasn't a NASCAR, but a Vette I believe and it was being compared to Schu's record setting 1/4 mile pass.

Thru a little math that they did wrong, I proved the vette would win.

Something called reaction time and their math didn't factor in the vette still able to accelerate.

Would still be cool to see.

I would love to see what a TF could run with out all the timing BS NHRA has on there, same way I'd like to see a COT run Daytona or Talledega without a plate.

Mista Bone
05-20-2009, 05:02 AM
here, from 2003

http://kansas.no-ip.com/power.php

4.500 for the vette vs 4.441 for the Schu, assuming the vette doesn't accelerate in the 1320 ft....which it will. Average reaction time in the fuel classes is about .060, THEREFORE the TF would run 4.501 total time vs. the non accelerating vette's 4.500 total time, but the vette would have gained 3-5 mph and had a even bigger lead at the 1320 ft finish line.

The difference was less than 24", but a win is a win right?

I think the story was in Car and Driver or some other uppity car rag originally.

85_SS_302_Coupe
05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the stuff i mentioned has been around way longer than the Z06. I've known that saying since i was a kid.

PonymanfiveO
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the stuff i mentioned has been around way longer than the Z06. I've known that saying since i was a kid.

Sounds like a SBZ Mythbusters case to solve. I'll drive the funny car. :cool2: