PDA

View Full Version : Airline Mechanics in Texas can't read English

02mingryGT
05-19-2009, 08:49 AM
The root of the problem is money, mechanics say. A certified mechanic can earn upwards of $25 an hour in Texas. Technicians who can't speak English are often hired for less than $10, according to mechanics interviewed by News 8.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/localnews/investigates/stories/wfaa090515-_lj_harris.7a4a7d4.html

BigBadStang
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
I would rather pay a bit more in airfare to insure the airlines hire top notch mechanics than to have second or third rate goons maintaining aircraft I would be flying on!

Greg Seibert
05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
They would make You or I pass a written and verbal communicating skills test in the hiring process. Another double standard thanks to Obama voters. Can you imagine a tech support rep or parts depot having to deal with that?

tcorns
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM
it's a technicality thing... part of the requirements for someone to get their airframe and powerplant license, is to be able to read and speak english. most mro's (maintenance and repair organization) hire ANYBODY for next to minimum wage and let them go to town on the airplane. then they hire one certificated A&P for 30 an hour, and let him sign his name to the work that the cheap labor does. i know a few folks that make good money just for their name. bad thing about it is that they are legally responsible for the work performed if something should happen to the airplane.

trev