PDA

View Full Version : Selling price question for my Cobra...

strokercobra
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm thinkin' about selling my 99 Cobra and going for a new car. I've had it 5 years and that's about my limit. The question is: how much should I list it for? Bluebook is 10 K but I think I could get more with the right buyer who likes the upgrades. Appearance wise the car is Red with a Cobra R hood, wheels and splitter. It's lowered 2" and has the 3-d cobra (purge) in the grill. The motor was re-built professionally using all forged internals and stroked to 302 at 72 K miles. The car has 85 K now. The exhaust is all aftermarket: Full tube headers, off road X pipe and Flows. 4.10 gears. The car also has a professionally installed shot of NOS (150 HP). The kit includes bottle heater and auto turn on, and digital gages. The car also has a switch chip to utilize different engine tunes. It's got brand new Nito's on the back (285). I love the car I just think it's time to move on... If you can give me any feedback I would greatly appreciate it. I attached a pic but it sucks because is from a camera-phone.

bascom123
05-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice ride, while i agree if you hold on to it for the right buyer you may be able to get more out of it then 10K. But it may takes a while. So it really depends on how eager you are to sell it. Its a nice car, but the market sucks right now, im sure you know that though.

Good luck with your sale.

'92Stang
05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Knowing the recent happenings in your personal life. I was pissed when I first read you post Jeff. I thought damn, now your ex wanted your car also:mad:

After seeing you at softball. I was glad to hear that your court hearing worked out for you, and bit her in the azz!!:bigthumb So now your ordering a new toy that should be delivered to a CHEVY dealership in 6-8 weeks huh??? Do you think you'll be able to grow a mullet by then?:D Did you get the yosemite sam mudflaps, and chain steering wheel package also??

Just messing with you, sounds like a pretty badazz ride. Glad chit is turning for you. Personally after riding and seeing your car I'm sure you could get well above bluebook. I'm with bascom, if you could hold on to it, eventually I think you'd get what you want out of the Cobra.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Cars-Trucks__W0QQMakeZFordQQModelZMustangQQ_dmptZUSQ5fC arsQ5fTrucksQQ_sacatZ6001QQModelQ2520YearZ19991723 48

Seen a couple on e bay for over 12K buy now.

Gene
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
It really depends. (I know, great answer)

It sounds like you have a really nice, well built car. That's worth a lot to the right person, but the flip side is that you will have to wait to find the right person. Most buyers, unless they know the car and driver well, are hesitant to pay a significant premium for relatively tame modifications.

With the exception of the stroker 302, the other mods really don't add much to the value of the car. Maybe a few hundred dollars to price at best, imo. The stroker is a different story...why was it installed? Did the original engine give up the ghost because you were running it at the dragstrip or road course every weekend? If so, then I would also question the lifespan of the transmission and rear end. Or did you have a stroker built but the stock engine was fine? Did you upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to handle the extra power? If not, as a buyer I would budget to expect to replace at least the clutch in the near term.

The nitrous system is another issue...my natural inclination if a car has nitrous installed is that the owner is a street racer (or wannabee) who beats on his car constantly. Unless I know the guy, I would assume he doesn't use good judgment in his nitrous use (was this why the engine was rebuilt?).

If bluebook on a stock car is $10k, I would think it's maybe worth $12-13k assuming all the mods are done well. But don't be surprised if you have a hard time selling the car at a premium over a stock one.

BigBadStang
05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
In this current market, I think you should just cut your losses, and sell it to me for $5K and be done with it!:D
Very nice car, good luck with the sale! :bigthumb

'92Stang
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
It really depends. (I know, great answer)

It sounds like you have a really nice, well built car. That's worth a lot to the right person, but the flip side is that you will have to wait to find the right person. Most buyers, unless they know the car and driver well, are hesitant to pay a significant premium for relatively tame modifications.

With the exception of the stroker 302, the other mods really don't add much to the value of the car. Maybe a few hundred dollars to price at best, imo. The stroker is a different story...why was it installed? Did the original engine give up the ghost because you were running it at the dragstrip or road course every weekend? If so, then I would also question the lifespan of the transmission and rear end. Or did you have a stroker built but the stock engine was fine? Did you upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to handle the extra power? If not, as a buyer I would budget to expect to replace at least the clutch in the near term.

The nitrous system is another issue...my natural inclination if a car has nitrous installed is that the owner is a street racer (or wannabee) who beats on his car constantly. Unless I know the guy, I would assume he doesn't use good judgment in his nitrous use (was this why the engine was rebuilt?).

If bluebook on a stock car is $10k, I would think it's maybe worth $12-13k assuming all the mods are done well. But don't be surprised if you have a hard time selling the car at a premium over a stock one.

All Great points:bigthumb Not sure how often Jeff checks back in, so I'll try to answer some of the above questions. As far as stroking it, I honestly can't remember why??? I know the pistons (dished), and internals were installed at Pauls in anticipation of building a low compression boost motor. During the build is when his marriage took a dump. So the motor was finished up without boost:( Afterwards due to attorney bills he had Mike Bell istall his N2O. Which I think he still has the original bottle half full. The car has been living in a cacoon/garage in west chester, and is very well taken care of by Jeff:bigthumb......I'll up Scotty's offer $5k, and a case of natty..:D

strokercobra
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the input Guys. I bought the car with 62,000 miles on it back in 2004. With 72,000 miles on it the #5 rod bearings went out and it required a rebuild. The engine builder took her apart and discovered a ever so slight bend in the stock crank. He told be there is not way I could have done such with the stock power. Over time this wore out my #5 rod bearings (bad luck). I had all the internal components replaced with forged compents and the stroker kit wasn't much more $. I've only been to the track once and I never used the nitrous on her at the track. Honestly I've used most of the nitrous out of the cobra snake purge in my grill during shows and such. I've only driven the car 2,000 miles in the last two years. It's just a sunday driver for me. I know that people are reluctant to buy a car with nitrous installed and I thought about pulling it off. The set up is nice though and it cost me roughly $4K with all the options, gages, switches, etc, etc. The rear end has been rebuilt using better parts, but that was only done because of the installation of the 4.10 gears and the decision to bolster the rear end. I agree with you though it may be hard to sell this car with the mods....It's not exactly queit either....Should I pull the nitrous off prior to sale??????

'92Stang
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd test the waters with the n2o on first. Then if nothing else sell the n2o kit. Make sure you keep the spitting cobra though, it would make for some nice bling on your gold chain..:cool1:..:D

thecollector
05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
In this market its not worth what someone is willing to pay for it because very few people have money, it is only worth what somelse is willing to loan on it. I'll up the previous offers, $5,500 CASH- and two cases of NAtty- Cold!!!

I wouldn't let it go for less than 11k if it was mine. Good luck with the sale.

cobradon
05-21-2009, 09:49 PM
If u sell the nos im interested in the kit for my 99 cobra.

strokercobra
05-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll need at least three cases on the Nati light to help me forget how much I love that car. Thanks for the honest advice guys... I really need at least 10K for it for my next purchase. Wish me luck.....

strokercobra
05-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Just an update on the car...Sold for $12K and no Nati light... I had some good years with the stang and the stangbangerz. Rock on guys...

thecollector
05-28-2009, 12:58 PM
It's your lose anyway. You have to carry around all the deadweight of 7k extra dollars and your still gonna be thirsty.... Congrats

'92Stang
05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
You should of held out for some natty...Congrats Jeff, glad you got what you wanted out of it..:bigthumb Did you sell it local??

strokercobra
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Mike, it was a guy out of Dayton. He hasn't taken "delivery" on it yet but he wants me to fill the bottle up for him before he gets it. He has a brother with a T/A and he wants to beat up on him.

'92Stang
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Cool we should still see it around then. Maybe crapbox from work has a brother.:D, How many weeks till the Camaro is delivered. Make sure to post up some pics. I think I got some old wife beaters you can wear while you drive it:lol: j/k

strokercobra
05-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Cool we should still see it around then. Maybe crapbox from work has a brother.:D, How many weeks till the Camaro is delivered. Make sure to post up some pics. I think I got some old wife beaters you can wear while you drive it:lol: j/k

Mike I called Barrack Obama and he said the car is slated for sometime in early June as long as congress agrees. That is unless Government Motors cancels the project so they can produce more minivans. I have wife beaters and I am growing a mullet. The "back-off" mudflaps were extra charge though... I really fell in love with the chain steering wheel option.