PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor is not kicking on! help its gettin hot!

blunbad
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
My 96 GT convertible's AC has jsut stated to not work and i was looking at it and when i turn the AC on the Compressor is not kicking on. Anyone have any idea on what would cause a AC compressor to not kick on. I can hear it clicking like it is trying to kick on but nothing at the compressor and no cold air. I tried to give it some freon but that didnt kick it on either i am trying to sell this thing and this is putting a damper on getting it sold. Any help would be awesome.
Thanks
Eric

quik lx
05-27-2009, 01:40 PM
2 switches control the compressor. One is the pressure switch for the refrigerant on the accumulator (firewall canister) and one inside the compressor. (float type) If the oil level in the compressor is low it won't come on. Try servicing the compressor with A/C system oil.

97gt
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
fuses relay?

mustang8998
05-27-2009, 07:22 PM
How much refrigerant did you try to add? Sometimes, it takes a lot to get the compressor to cycle.

And, as stated, check your fuses.

Blackout
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I would bet its the pressure switch on the the canister. It sticks strait out pointed toward the engine. it's like $15 for a new one. Take the harness loose and jump the wires with a piece or wire or paper clip. (remember this is just to test) With your a/c turned on in the car and engine running, the compressor should kick on if the switch is bad. All the switch does is connect the circuit when a cirtain pressure is reached. Try this and let us know.

blunbad
05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Alright i got the compressor running it was just low on freon. But now the air isnt cold coming out? On those cheap ass guages you get with the recharging kits when the compressor is engaged should it fluctuate when the compressor comes on and then off. the guage i have fluctuates from the fill (green) part of the guage up to the alert (yellow) part of the guage. Is that supposed to do that or is it supposed to keep a constant pressure? sorry i jsut havent had to deal with ac almost ever so im not experience skilled.
Thanks
Eric

Blackout
05-28-2009, 07:36 PM
good...! glad you figured out the problem. The reason that your air is not getting real cold is because your system has air in it. That can be a problem because when you run the compressor for long periods of time it can burn it up. Make sure you vacuum the system to about 20-30 psi. The reason for this is to make sure you get the water and air to evap and boil and come out at room tempeture(under vacuum the boiling point of water is lowered). This is also a good way to find leaks. After a good vacuum is reached, use 2-3 cans of the 134-a oil and refrigerant and then use just the 134-a normal cans to get the right amount of pressure, wich is I think between 4-6 pounds.

blunbad
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
how to i go about vacumming the system is that something i can do at my house?

RIXXX93GT
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Only if you have a vacuum pump.

Blackout
05-28-2009, 08:11 PM
you can get the system vacuumed at any ac charging place. Just have them vacuum it and you fill it(may save some money that way) or if you know someone who does heating and a/c have them come out with there robinair vaccuum pump and make a fitting out of one of the extra fitting from the recharge kits. I may have a fitting, so if you can get someone to pull a vacuum shoot me a pm.

Also they sell a vacuum pump on ebay that is run by air off an air compressor. Just an option