PDA

View Full Version : 92 GT project

RACEME
05-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I traded my old 95 gt as a roller for this car as a roller. This car came from a kid who put a carb/c4 combo in it and made it about 100' out of his drive way when the #6 piston exploded. The car still has the shortblock in it so I will probably re-use the 8qt oil pan and maybe the solid motor mounts from it.

My goal is to make this a nice street car. The parts I have laying around are tremec 3550 trans, stock stortblock, dart pro1 heads, trickflow cam, typhoon intake 24lb injectors, 65 mm throttle body, nitrous works wet kit. Mac headers, unknown H-pipe, and flowmaster cat back.

The car already has 3:73 gears, but no suspension work at all. The car came with an extended cowl hood and cobra rear cover. I am going to find a shorter hood as the wife won't be able to see over this one.

anyway, here are some pictures.

RACEME
05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
more pictures.

RACEME
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
more pics

RACEME
05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
more of em

Foxxx5oh
05-31-2009, 11:49 AM
hey Tim! ill swap ya rear bumpers/fillers if you want the GT rear :D

RACEME
05-31-2009, 12:54 PM
hey Tim! ill swap ya rear bumpers/fillers if you want the GT rear :D

uh, NO..sorry. I am keeping the cobra rear. The only part I am getting rid of is the hood and maybe the wheels.

Foxxx5oh
05-31-2009, 01:25 PM
im just givin ya hell buddy :D i know of someone who needs the hood, he should be (if he hasnt already) sending you a PM about it.

PS...im jealous of your interior :(

RACEME
05-31-2009, 03:21 PM
im just givin ya hell buddy :D i know of someone who needs the hood, he should be (if he hasnt already) sending you a PM about it.

PS...im jealous of your interior :(

That was the deal maker. I have wanted a coupe with black interior ever since I saw Craig's coupe. This may not be a coupe, but it will do. I have had several pm's already. We will see what happens. I have already made my first stupid move and lost the ignition key.

Foxxx5oh
05-31-2009, 04:31 PM
mines all black too, but i need a couple little things and front seats to make it perfect :(

RACEME
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
my console has a couple holes in it and the ash tray door is broken and missing. I am going to look into recovering the front seats.

RACEME
06-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Got a little done last night. The motor is out and torn down. The engine compartment seems pretty clean, so I think I am going to finish stripping all the wiring and stuff out of it, then hit it with a scotchbrite pad and paint it when I paint the new hood and rear cover.

The shortblock that was in it was hurt REAL bad. I am going to repair the oil pan since the pickup tube was not damaged. There were a few other things that I will probably re-use like the one peice pan gasket and new timing chain.

I am not sure where the previous owner failed when they assembled the motor, but it only has about 15 minutes of run time and exploded just a block or so out of his driveway.

RACEME
06-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Hurt stuff. I salvaged the pickup, ARP main bolts, timing chain, cam, timing cover, water pump, underdrive pulleys, solid motor mounts, and pan gasket.

RACEME
06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
That did not take long. I guess he is out of money and needs a dd badly.

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=57658

Maximus
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Coming along nicely.:bigthumb

Where do you find the time to work on it with the Kiddies running around?

Stangman
06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
That did not take long. I guess he is out of money and needs a dd badly.

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=57658

Thats a damn shame...

BTW I seen that '92 on craigslist when I was in Indy for Pinks All Out, Almost had Steve (Steves LX) into buying it for the wife!

Also, was it you that had the '85-'86 doors??? I cant remember and I cant find that thread!

RACEME
06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
yes, you need to come get them!

RACEME
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Coming along nicely.:bigthumb

Where do you find the time to work on it with the Kiddies running around?

So far I have about 2-1/2 hours of work on it. It is tought to get away especially since the car is at the rental house.

Stangman
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
yes, you need to come get them!

Yes! I do!

.... if I had a truck!

Lemme see what I can work out, for that price, I cannot pass them up.

RACEME
06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Yes! I do!

.... if I had a truck!

Lemme see what I can work out, for that price, I cannot pass them up.

Throw me a little gas money and I deliver...

Stangman
06-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Throw me a little gas money and I deliver...

You sir, have a PM :bigthumb

5.0calypso93lx
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Definitely looks like a solid start!

BlazinEagle
06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Tim if your are interested in getting rid of the rims pm me a price.

RACEME
06-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Nothing major done this weekend. I worked on the bent cowl a little and got it pretty close to straight. I also got a new ignition key set into the column. There is still some type of fuel pump hanging under the rear someplace. I need to get under the back and see what is going on.

I think it is time to start a "to-do" list for this thing.

RACEME
06-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Got to spend a couple hours on it last night. Sold the hood. I pulled the tank and removed the hacked up fuel lines. I also started getting into the hacked up wiring in the engine compartment. The wiring is kind of a mess.

Here is pictures of the fuel pump that was hanging above the rear end. Also here is the redneck fuel pick up from the tank, and the new one I will be installing in its place.

RACEME
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Time to get back after this again. I sold a few toys to free up some cash. I have decided to order my megasquirt kit.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mustang-diyer-kit-package-p-305.html

Also need to peice together a fuel system, and then it should be on its way to getting fired up.

DeckerEnt
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Looking good Tim!! Progress is a wonderful thing!!

RACEME
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Megasquirt is ordered. Should be here early next week. I better get my butt in gear and get the motor in the car.

RACEME
07-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Wow, talk about great service, I ordered the megasquirt on Friday, and it showed up yesterday. I picked it up from the post office this morning.

Anyway...Mistake 1. I did not realize that the relay board did not come with the package deal. Time to order that too.

Tonight after the wife gets home from work, I am going to start the assembly of the stim.

Stangman
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
You can datalog a megasquirt cant you?

RACEME
07-28-2009, 09:47 AM
You can datalog a megasquirt cant you?

Yes, and it has a two step setting also.

RACEME
07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
ok time to get started building the stimulator. Here is the parts all layed out. sorry kinda blurry.

RACEME
07-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Here it is after completion. I can't believe how cool it is to build your own circuit boards and computers.

RACEME
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Now it is time to start on the efi computer itself. The bottom right is the main board and case. Top right is all the gizmo's that get soldered to it. The two small bags on the left are to modify the standard board to be able to control the ford style idle air control valve.

RACEME
08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Part one of four is complete for the MS build. I need to do a test with the stim, then get back to soldering the second part tonight. The relay board showed up, so I need to get going on that also.

mustangboy
08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
So you have another week of megasquirting? There are so many different ways I could go with that but I'll just let you guys use your imagination. So are you a soldering expert yet?

RACEME
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
So you have another week of megasquirting? There are so many different ways I could go with that but I'll just let you guys use your imagination. So are you a soldering expert yet?

I am an expert at burning my finger tips...does that count? I probably have about 6 hours of soldering ahead of me yet.

DeckerEnt
08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Find some tight leather gloves. You can't control the wire with bulky ones. Good luck with it. Me and wiring don't mix well.....

RACEME
08-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Find some tight leather gloves. You can't control the wire with bulky ones. Good luck with it. Me and wiring don't mix well.....

The issue is me. I hold a couple inches of solder in my fingers and as I solder each spot and use the solder I forget to move my fingers back and keep that couple inches of solder between my fingers and that soldering iron. No biggy. I only have a few hundred spots to solder yet...LOL

RACEME
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Note to all Dads.....A test light and 9v battery will keep a 3 year old busy for hours!

Jeff88coupe
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Note to all Dads.....A test light and 9v battery will keep a 3 year old busy for hours!

So how many times did he lick the battery posts?:lol:

RACEME
08-05-2009, 10:24 AM
So how many times did he lick the battery posts?:lol:

He does not know that yet.

RACEME
11-11-2010, 10:08 AM
It took a long time, but it finally runs. I have a lot of tuning to do with the megasquirt stuff, and I need to figure out where I wired the alternator wrong. Once it starts, the darn thing will not shut off with the key. I have to pull the fuse out of the fuel pump on the relay board.

RACEME
04-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Update.
Runs drives, licensed and insured. I ended up buying a factory computer and engine harness to get it going. Paul (408notch) is going to take a look at the whole megasquirt thing for me.

I am going to get the hood and rear cover painted red in the next couple weeks then see if I can get a tune for it. The motor definately feels strong, but the factory rev limiter is annoying.

RACEME
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
More pictures..yay