PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if you have an original SSP car?

Stangman
06-03-2009, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine just bought an '89 Coupe and according to carfax it had been in possession of the Illinois State Police since it was new and sold at auction 7 years later...

Unfortunately the car no longer has it's original doors and the tag doesnt match, The original door panels were red and non-power...

So besides the door tag... how can you tell if the car is an original SSP?

The car had been completely repainted with custom paint, not much on the car is original anymore....

IEATLT1
06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Bucktag on the rad support will be stamped

quik lx
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Behind the drivers headlight there will be 2 bucktags....one for the options and one for the division the car is being delivered to. Mine says FHP DHSMV (Florida Hyw patrol. dept of highway safety and motor vehicles). The switch for the truck release is usually moved from the glove box over to the left side of the steering column, and the drivers door dome light switch's are usually disconnected. Mine also has a DHSMV tag in the glove box. Good luck.

CNTLOSE
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Behind the drivers headlight there will be 2 bucktags....one for the options and one for the division the car is being delivered to. Mine says FHP DHSMV (Florida Hyw patrol. dept of highway safety and motor vehicles). The switch for the truck release is usually moved from the glove box over to the left side of the steering column, and the drivers door dome light switch's are usually disconnected. Mine also has a DHSMV tag in the glove box. Good luck.

Yep, and mine says, "Washington State Police". It may also just have second buck tag that reads "DSO Police". Also some other good indicators, but not 100% ways are an oil cooler, blue hoses, and any service markings on the firewall or unusal holes. But most of these were options in '89...that is the same year I have.

Your best bet is going to be the buck tags on the radiator support. If you stand at the front of the car look between the bumper and radiator. It will be just to the right in plain view...although reading it may be tricky.

Gearhead
06-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't believe Illinois ever used SSP Mustangs.

But here are a few more clues:

There was additional floor bracing for the front seats, also, it could have a Lestek alternator. If it's an automatic it will have a trans cooler mounted on the radiator support drivers side. Look for extra grounding straps as well, in the trunk, exhaust, etc...

facemelter71
06-03-2009, 03:58 PM
info on SSP cars (http://www.sspmustang.org/tech.htm)
Google is your friend.

Stangman
06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Its an original 5 speed car supposedly, but it has changed hands a few times and IF it was an original SSP car then aslmost every part has been changed out... it has no motor or trans either and the rear end has been swapped with a disc brake 7.5 out of an SN95... I'll look for the buck tag... I didnt even think about that...