PDA

View Full Version : 40 Caliber S&W Sigma?

306Power
06-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Hey all, Ive now started getting in the market for a handgun. I was looking for something that would be powerful enough to have some fun at the range yet nothing over the top. So I thought a 40 Cal round would be perfect, I came across this gun in particular that stood out to me. I like the price, the make, and the caliber. Ive never owned a handgun but I know there are alot of people on here that know a lot about guns in general, so my question is that is this a good quality gun? Any good/bad experiences with this one? Heres the exact link to it

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_71/products_id/13284

Thanks for any help!

2007ShelbyCobra
06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
.50 desert eagle FTW

Crucial
06-07-2009, 01:28 AM
i have the 9mm version, love it

never had a problem , granted i haven't fired 5000 rounds through it ... maybe 2000

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6403/1000827gs6.jpg

Mista Bone
06-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I love the 40 S&W round, I just don't like the Sigma copy of a Glock frame.

306Power
06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
i have the 9mm version, love it

never had a problem , granted i haven't fired 5000 rounds through it ... maybe 2000

Im not sure if its the same on the 9MM version(would imagine it is) but I heard at least on the 40 Cal version that you have to pull the trigger about 3/4ths of the way down before it fires. If the 9MM version does that, does it throw your accuracy off that much?

Crucial
06-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Im not sure if its the same on the 9MM version(would imagine it is) but I heard at least on the 40 Cal version that you have to pull the trigger about 3/4ths of the way down before it fires. If the 9MM version does that, does it throw your accuracy off that much?

at 1st it felt odd, but didnt take long to grow on me ... was my 1st handgun so didnt have a whole lot to compare it too ..

Black92LX
06-07-2009, 02:21 AM
The Sigmas have terrible triggers.
But they are decent guns they are copies of the Glock hence the reason they are not made anymore.
One can slide a Glock slide on a sigma frame and vise versa and it will fire.
(I do not suggest the prior but has been done on many occasions)

Dependent upon the price there are better deals out there to be had.

Crucial
06-07-2009, 03:22 AM
The Sigmas have terrible triggers.
But they are decent guns they are copies of the Glock hence the reason they are not made anymore.
One can slide a Glock slide on a sigma frame and vise versa and it will fire.
(I do not suggest the prior but has been done on many occasions)

Dependent upon the price there are better deals out there to be had.

not without mods, i tried this with a friends glock

its close, so close glock sued S&W

Pops Fun
06-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi
How does it feel in your hand?? Please go and hold a bunch of hand guns and find one that you like. Then rent one if you can or find someone with a gun like it and shoot it before buying.
Kieth is having a shooting party in Ky, if you can get there shoot a few guns and decide.
http://www.stangbangerz.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53435&highlight=shooting

306Power
06-07-2009, 04:24 PM
What are some good gun shops in the NKY area so I can go and check out this 40 tomorrow?

DeckerEnt
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Shooter's in Independence is a great place to try a few out. They have a bunch to rent. My farm party is on the 20th saturday. We will be shooting all day. You are more than welcome!!

306Power
06-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Shooter's in Independence is a great place to try a few out. They have a bunch to rent. My farm party is on the 20th saturday. We will be shooting all day. You are more than welcome!!

Thanks I appreciate that, unfortunatly thats the same day as my graduation party. I just now read that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL dealer? But I could still own a handgun if I purchase it from a private seller or its given to me as long as Im 18, Do I have that correct for KY gun laws?

Black92LX
06-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks I appreciate that, unfortunatly thats the same day as my graduation party. I just now read that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL dealer? But I could still own a handgun if I purchase it from a private seller or its given to me as long as Im 18, Do I have that correct for KY gun laws?

Yes that is correct

Mista Bone
06-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo :)

duststang
06-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I would recommend a Spring Field XD or Glock these are great and dependable. Love them! Good luck just make sure you do your home work before you buy. feel in hand. I like Shooters Supply in Loveland (great prices, great guys)

Black92LX
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo :)

Unless you have a rifle in that caliber:bigthumb

306Power
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
A 40 Cal S&W round would pretty much only be a handgun round though if im not mistaken, luckily I have a dad who's willing to buy it all for me from the store. I also did like the Springfield XD but the exact one I liked is a bit out of my price range.

duststang
06-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I have zero experience with the S&W. I do know that the Spring Field is a great gun. I have learned that guns seem like you get what you pay for in most cases. I have also noticed that there is a big difference in quality. Not Saying Sigma is not a good gun! Just make sure what ever you buy fits your hand and is natural feeling. Try to shoot what you are thinking of buying. The use of the gun is important to think about also. (target shoting or conceal carry ,etc) just some info that might help.

Black92LX
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
A 40 Cal S&W round would pretty much only be a handgun round though if im not mistaken, luckily I have a dad who's willing to buy it all for me from the store. I also did like the Springfield XD but the exact one I liked is a bit out of my price range.

nope their are plenty of rifles chambered in .40S&W!!

306Power
06-08-2009, 06:31 PM
nope their are plenty of rifles chambered in .40S&W!!

Really? I didnt know that, so you think I should be able to get some .40 S&W ammo without much trouble since im not 21 yet?

Walter
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Really? I didnt know that, so you think I should be able to get some .40 S&W ammo without much trouble since im not 21 yet?

Not necessarily. Save the extra money and buy the XD. You will be glad you did.

Mista Bone
06-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Under federal law, it is illegal to sell (1) long gun ammunition to anyone under age 18 and (2) handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)). According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement applies.

In short, you have to be 21.

Black92LX
06-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Yup lots; of rifles in .40.
There are AR's chambered in 40
Beretta Storm
Kel Tec has a few carbines
Marlins got one

The list goes on and on. I never had any trouble. Just told them it was for a rifle.
If not just buy in bulk and have someone else buy it for you.

Under federal law, it is illegal to sell (1) long gun ammunition to anyone under age 18 and (2) handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21 (18 USC 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478. 99(b)). According to BATF, a licensee may sell interchangeable ammunition such as a . 22 cal. rimfire to a person less than age 21 (but age 18 or older) if the dealer is satisfied that the ammunition is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement applies.

In short you have to be 21, but most dealers know their are plenty of rifles in so called pistol calibers.

Lying is not the means to go about it. But I had a 9mm carbine at the time so it was truthfully for a rifle. I didn't get any hand guns till I was 21.

Gives you reason to buy another gun:bigthumb
I am always looking for those. That's why if people offer me free ammo in a caliber I don't own I still take it. Good excuse to buy another gun.

Get a Used Glock 22/17 (.40s&w/9mm) for your pistol and buy a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that shares the Magazines.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/sub2000.htm

Fun little carbine and makes a great truck gun since it folds.

black90lx
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
so does anybody have a 9mm or a 40 cal they want to get rid of? i have a nice built sks that i might be able to trade with some cash, if not i have cash if it's a good price. i would like a glock, smith & wesson or springfield. lmk