PDA

View Full Version : best place to find a 31 spline diff for an 8.8 reasonable, maybe axles too

beefcake
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
i'm swapping moontang for his solid axle, but i want to go 31 spline

can i pick something up out of an explorer or something that will be good?

IEATLT1
06-08-2009, 01:40 PM
you could but with the numbers I've saw that you are putting down I don't know if I would... unless you can find a newer unit or something

k062693w
06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
9 Inch it Terry !!!

Black92LX
06-08-2009, 01:49 PM
STAY AWAY FROM EXPLORER REAR END COMPONENTS!!!!!
They are turds.

facemelter71
06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I found a 31 spline at UPAP out of an explorer that I grabbed for like 35 bucks.

They are turds
Thats not good,Hey Terry I have a 31 spline trac Loc for sale.

bobtsgt
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
you better buy some quality or else your going to see the tow truck quite often. Stock parts will break. Its all a matter of time.

kennebellcobra
06-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Make sure if you find one it's the newer style with the round notch's rather than the square.... they are stronger, only use the ford racing clutches too...the carbon fiber are pucks...the oem clutches are thin and break up easy.

I've been 1.31 on the back tires with one....just this year I finally put a detroit locker in....so they are stronger than you think;)

I think steveslx might have a set of axles

Black92LX
06-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I found a 31 spline at UPAP out of an explorer that I grabbed for like 35 bucks.

They are turds
Thats not good,Hey Terry I have a 31 spline trac Loc for sale.

Ford has had nothing but problems out of the rear ends in the Explorers. I know I own one. It's about every other day on the Explorer Forums a "keep complaining and we'll get a recall" thread is started.

cstreu1026
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Yup the explorer rear ends suck. Our 2003 was in the shop 4 times for rear end problems, but I don't think the t-lok is the problem. I have one in my car and I know chad393na had a 31 spline t-lok behind his windsor for quite a while as well.

beefcake
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
07 gt should work shouldn't it? steves got one in the for sale section

i know my 08 gt500 pulled some 1.4's with it

kennebellcobra
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
07 gt should work shouldn't it? steves got one in the for sale section

i know my 08 gt500 pulled some 1.4's with it

It will hold for a little while....if you want it to last buy the ford racing clutches and put extra clutch's in it ...at the very least add the extra clutch's.

I also learned the carbon fiber clutches do not last as long if you run synthetic gear oil and only putting half the additive in it will help too.

The 03-04 cobra and probably your 500 had the puck style friction disks

2Kblacksleeper
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Sorry to hi-jack, but what should the set up be when you add the extra discs?

I have the carbon rebuild now and i would like anyones help to the proper stacking order. I have looked online and have not seen a clear answer.

So i am asuming that i can use my rebuild and add in a few from my old clutches?

Thank you for your responses.

John

Dirtyd0g
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Make sure if you find one it's the newer style with the round notch's rather than the square.... they are stronger, only use the ford racing clutches too...the carbon fiber are pucks...the oem clutches are thin and break up easy.

I've been 1.31 on the back tires with one....just this year I finally put a detroit locker in....so they are stronger than you think;)

I think steveslx might have a set of axles

I hate the pucks. 8 of the ford racing or Randy's ring and pinion ( I think they are the same they look identical) frictions with good fluid works better than anything IMO. The pucks were designed to release the chatter issues, not hold better. They actually have much less surface area.
Alan

kennebellcobra
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I hate the pucks. 8 of the ford racing or Randy's ring and pinion ( I think they are the same they look identical) frictions with good fluid works better than anything IMO. The pucks were designed to release the chatter issues, not hold better. They actually have much less surface area.
Alan

I'll post some pics... mine had some with no material left(broke off in pieces)and the tabs broke off.... all this with less than 20 passes....I used the same puck style for over 2 years just had to reshim every once in a while to keep it going straight....they are now in the flamer and still going

beefcake
06-10-2009, 12:06 PM
ended up ordering a strange diff and some strange axles, take the worry out of it

cobrajoe
06-10-2009, 03:53 PM
When you and Scott doing the swap? You gonna need some help? Racing this weekend in Cridersville but should be able to help after that.:cool2:

beefcake
06-10-2009, 08:41 PM
When you and Scott doing the swap? You gonna need some help? Racing this weekend in Cridersville but should be able to help after that.:cool2:

next saturday and sunday

alan wants to pull mine, then swap scotts over, then put the irs back in scotts, i have to work sat, but will head over after,

kennebellcobra
06-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Here's some pics of my experience with the oem style clutches vs. the ford racing on top....maybe I got some bad ones.lol

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d183/kennebellcobra/clutches.jpg

kennebellcobra
06-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Sorry to hi-jack, but what should the set up be when you add the extra discs?

I have the carbon rebuild now and i would like anyones help to the proper stacking order. I have looked online and have not seen a clear answer.

So i am asuming that i can use my rebuild and add in a few from my old clutches?

Thank you for your responses.

John

pm sent

cobrajoe
06-11-2009, 04:02 AM
next saturday and sunday

alan wants to pull mine, then swap scotts over, then put the irs back in scotts, i have to work sat, but will head over after,

Cool I can swing by after work too! I could meet you at the dealership.

Maximus
06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
next saturday and sunday

Why wait? Your parts are HERE!!! :cool1:

beefcake
06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Why wait? Your parts are HERE!!! :cool1:

:) schweet