PDA

View Full Version : towing boat

duststang
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Hello,
My friend has a 02 Chevy 1500 2WD He pulls a boat about 3 times a week. The issue is that his front tires wear out fast due to the toe (rear sagging from weight). He is looking for something to help handle the weight but doesnt want to lose the ride quality when he is not towing. He was looking at the following: helper springs, coil over shocks, adjustable shocks, etc. Has anyone had this issue? or know what would be the best fix? Any help would be appreciated.

RACEME
06-08-2009, 02:45 PM
If you want to keep ride quality on a half ton, I suggest the add on air bag supports for the rear. You can add support when you have a load and remove it when not loaded.

mustangboy
06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
He needs a weight distribution setup like this. http://www.drawtite.com/wedi.html I would do that first and if he still has problems look at the bags but this should fix his problem.

duststang
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
have you ever used the weight distribution?

Black Horse
06-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Weight distribution is definatley worth it. Towing the race car/trailer is night and day with and without. Feel like you have more control, less sway and definately less towing feel.

duststang
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks you guys for the help, he is going to pick a set up!

mustangboy
06-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I pull a 31ft camper and would not even consider doing so without the weight distribution w/ sway control. If the boat he has is decent size that would be the way to go. If it is just a little boat and just wants a little extra help the bags would do the job. I actually have both bags and weight distribution. I just added the bags this year as my camper has ALOT of tongue weight and I just wanted a little extra help to smooth things out over large bumps and expansion joints. If you are near one of the local camper stores they sell what you need and usually will install them as well.

duststang
06-09-2009, 10:25 AM
his boat is about 13,000 but tounge weight is maybe 800 lbs. He will stop by Holmans on my way home. He just didnt want to get something that was a waste of money. He wanted to see what others used. we looked at helper springs but they looked cheap was not sure if it was the best way. I looks like a lot of people recommend this distribution setup. Thanks

mustangboy
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
He is pulling a 13k boat with a half ton truck? That is not a good idea at all. If his boat is that big he really should go with a bigger truck

aperacer
06-09-2009, 11:51 AM
He is pulling a 13k boat with a half ton truck? That is not a good idea at all. If his boat is that big he really should go with a bigger truck

i would agree... 1/2 ton is good for about 8000 pounds on the high side..even with the load distibution hitch.. you still dont have the brakes for it much less the transmission and large enough rear axle...

duststang
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I tired to tell him to go bigger and maybe diesel but he can't right now due to $. One good thing is that the trailer has tandem axles and brakes. I was mistaken it is 10,000 lbs! I was supprised that it has lasted this long. He has pulled that boat for about 35,000 miles on this truck.

BigBadStang
06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Dayum...that's either a huge boat, or just a heavy as hell cruiser.
We had a Baja 272 (27.5') with a big block and it only weighed 4,350lbs. dry.
When and where does he tow this rig? I just want to know so I can stay FAR AWAY from him towing that barge with a 1/2 Shivvy.:eek
Dude will run over someone if he has to try and stop fast whether the trailer has surge brakes or electric...god help him and anyone around if he has to make a sudden maneuver...it will be catastrophic.

duststang
06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
it is all metal boat. i miss understood him that included truck, trailer, and boat. guess that is why it weighs so much. the river is a few miles from his house but he goes there like 4 or more days a week. sorry for the miss perception.

BigBadStang
06-12-2009, 04:06 PM
WHEW!
I'm glad that is the case...10,000lb gross weight!
I was really freaking out thinking of someone traveling the roads pulling a 10,000lb boat with a 1/2 ton truck! Something that would weigh 10k would be along the lines of a Sea Ray Sundancer 290 (30 foot cabin cruiser).

Yeah, the weight distribution/equalization set up will help him out dramatically. His truck is probably in the 4,500lb range, so that would put the boat and trailer in the 5,500lb. range.:)