PDA

View Full Version : BEST interior dye and methods???

Stangman
06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
I just bought some PERFECT '85 GT seats that are red, but faded, no holes or tears or anything... but I want to redye them before I put them in my car....

Anyone have any ideas what the absolute best type of dye to use is? And the best application method? I dont want to mess these seats up and make them hard from that spray on crap...

I am willing to remove the covers from the seat and try that

Also, anyone know of any good upholstery shops that could take my split rear hatchback seat and make it a 1 piece coupe seat and use the GT upholstery???

The dying information will also help in restoring my headliner and package shelf...

Thanks!!

bascom123
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I just did the interior of my 69 firebird with dye. from green to black.

It depends on your materials, they make paints and dye for different substances.

For rigid parts I used the black spray paint, for the vinyl components (door panels and seats) i used the special spray dye. I was amazed how good of a job it did.

Now they also make a fabric paint for carpets and cloth seats. You need to figure out what you have, order items (50resto.com sells them) take your time. Make sure you CLEAN the items carefully. I used a jug of methanol, but you can use acetone or something similar.

It took me a full Saturday to get it all done. As far as how much you will need depends on how many items to paint. But for me 2 cans of paint and 2 cans of dye was enough. I did NOT prime anything.

To my knowledge there is no other way to do it unless you replace it all.

Steves LX
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Spray paint em we can be twins!! HA HA Whats wrong with people? :eek:

chris91
06-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I dyed my seats a little while ago and used this stuff. I picked up some rubber gloves and between each coat I rubbed it in. The seats didnt turn out all stiff either. Look like new again.

http://www.simplyspray.com/upholstery.html