PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspections???

SMOKE
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I bought a house and I am in need of an inspection before I can close. Does anyone know someone good/cheap I could use?

Thanks! :bigthumb

Black92LX
06-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Home Inspections are worth their weight in Gold. Don't go with just the cheapest. Go with who your Realtor suggests.

We got one for our new construction when it was finished. He charged like $285 and was here for over 4 hours. He went though everything.

My fella is a quite aways away from you or I would suggest him.

cstreu1026
06-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Try Greg Eckert with National Property Inspectors. 513-503-4277

cobrajoe
06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Make sure they have their certs.

NAHI
ASHI

Try here for ASHI Inpsectors.

http://www.ashi.org/

Try here for NAHI Inspectors.

http://www.nahi.org/

Also it's not recommended going with who your Realtor recommends for obvious reasons. Ie: giving a favorable report as to "close the deal". If your close I could probably come over when they do it to make sure everything is covered.

bobtsgt
06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Also it's not recommended going with who your Realtor recommends for obvious reasons. Ie: giving a favorable report as to "close the deal". If your close I could probably come over when they do it to make sure everything is covered.

Thats only if they are shady and don't care to get into trouble.

cstreu1026
06-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Thats only if they are shady and don't care to get into trouble.

I'll second that. In this day and age information travels fast and you can't conduct business like for very long before the folks in change find out. I'm sure there are some pretty shady realtors out there but I know I wouldn't risk my license.

Black92LX
06-17-2009, 05:03 PM

That's why you go with your Realtor. If your Realtor is in it for a quick buy, they should not be your Realtor. Red flag number one. A realtor that is working for you should help in making the best purchase for you not the quickest.

If they are in it for a quick sale one should be looking for a different Realtor.

cobrajoe
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Well I know they pounded that point home quite often when I was taking my classes, maybe things have changed. :confused: I just know if you have a Realtor hand you one number I would be cautious. My Realtor handed me three of four different brochures and I did my research and picked one from those. Myself personally would rather have a choice. Also any decent Realtor will probably give you several recommendations anyway. The big thing is to check their certs. (NAHI, ASHI, Etc.) and make a informed decision. Also make sure they are in good standing. Ask if they carry E/O insurance, which is for errors and omissions, this is in case something is missed and shows up later and is a problem. I would also ask to see a previous inspection report. If they refuse stating a privacy issue that's a flag because all that is needed is for the inspector to block/black out client's name, property address, etc. Your just wanting to see how complete the report is. My reports are both a narrative and check list.