PDA

View Full Version : Computer help

Wolvrin704
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Back in the day I knew allot about computers but since then my interests have changed and I usually feel like a noob. So bear with my idiotic questions. ;)

My computer needed some more memory so I wrote down what it needs and hoped in the car and went to Microcenter. When I got there I realized I didn't write down the operating speed but I thought I remembered it so I got 800mHz but in reality its 667mHz. So the question is would it be ok to use the 800 or do I need to take it back and get 667?

2nd question. Where can I get a good and preferabbly cheap external hard drive? I didn't think they would so expensive but the cheapest I saw at Best Buy and Microcenter was $70 for a 500GB. If thats a good deal then so be it thats what I'll get but was just wondering if there was anything at a better price out there.

Lastly, I have been having allot of problems with Adobe and IE. I had downloaded the newest Adobe 10.something or other but every once in awhile I get errors about Adobe 8.1 not working. Do I need to delete the 8.1? I was thinking of deleting all of it and re-downloading the newest one. As for IE I'm ready to try a different browser. I've heard Firefox is better, would anyone recommend going to it or is there a better one? Also are these free or do they charge to download them? I'm all about cheap is good and free is better!

I appreciate any help I can get here as I am now a computer caveman. I know how to start them up and little else. BTW, if its important I'm using Windows Vista as my OS.

PaulFiveOh
06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
800 will work, it will auto clock it self down to your mem bus speed.

Cheap externals you can get on Newegg.com or ebay.

Get fire fox here: http://www.getfirefox.com and yes use it over IE. Be sure to download the "Plug Ins" (what makes flash, adobe, java, etc run in firefox.

Wolvrin704
06-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll start working on it in the morning. :bigthumb