PDA

View Full Version : Should replacing a fuel pump on a 2003 F150 cost $912.00?

MystichromeVert
06-22-2009, 04:18 PM
My parents truck wouldn't start on Friday night. They had it towed to Castrucci Ford in Alexandria on Saturday. Just talked to my Mom who just got a call from Ford saying they fixed it and they want $912.

That seems outrageous to me. Before they go in there and make a big scene, I was hoping to get others' thoughts.

Crucial
06-22-2009, 04:22 PM
if they give you all the tools used and a tank of cam2 it might come out right

no really, when me did my father-in-law's the pump was pretty pricy itself.. wanna say $300+ with us doing the labor

347sc
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Probably 3+ hrs in labor and checkout and pump from Ford is probably $400-500.

DeckerEnt
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
From a dealer, that sounds about right. My work vans, 2000 E-250s, the fuel pumps from Ky Motors are 300. Then you figure labor, that sounds about right. Man I need a dealership!!!

Wolvrin704
06-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I know the service manager there. Got my Mountaineer from them too. I agree, unfortunately fuel pumps are expensive.

1992MustangDW
06-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I know fuel pumps are exspensive. That still seems a little high to me.

billy69mach
06-22-2009, 07:38 PM
fuel pump itself is $102.00 at autozone get truck and take it to sombody that knows what their doing.:lol:

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Wow man that is insane. Like Billy said the pump won't cost you that much...maybe the Ford part is better but still that's crazy.

NUTTSGT
06-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Not much you can do if it's already fixed.

may93
06-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Pay it and then never do buisness with them again. If it has anything to do with any dealership you can always expect outrageous prices. They make money off the part and the labor.

Timido
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
If they just fixed it and then billed your mom I wouldnt pay it. They need to give you a verbal or writen estimate before the work is started.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
If they just fixed it and then billed your mom I wouldnt pay it. They need to give you a verbal or writen estimate before the work is started.

Exactly. 32 Ford did this to me with an old Ranger i had. It had this weird stalling issue and back then i knew nothing about cars so i took it to them. They ended up keeping it for TWO MONTHS. After the first month i was pretty pissed and i got a free rental car which was nice of them. Then after the 2nd month i got a call that it was fixed so i go down there and they handed me a bill for $2700. Needless to say i about shat myself. They couldn't even tell me exactly what the problem was because they ended up throwing parts at it until the problem was fixed. I ended up talking to the manager and i paid for the parts at cost which only ended up being around $130 if i remember right. I couldn't believe there was THAT much labor. From that day on i've done everything i can to my own vehicles or i've looked for a friend who knows more than me for help.

Dirtyd0g
06-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I would say 600-700 is fair for a dealer price job. $912 is crazy I would want to see a breakdown of that bill. If they are charging 2 hours of diagnostics they are idiots. First thing I would have done was check fuel pressure. THen check power at the tank. fuel pressure= no and power at the tank = yes...pump bad. 15 minutes to diagnose.
Alan

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah my ordeal, i remember a big part of it had to do with diagnostics. To that i replied that this was a FORD dealership and i took my truck to them because they're supposed to be the experts, and they shouldn't have needed that much time to figure out what was wrong with one of their vehicles. I'd expect that from Car X or some street corner shop but a dealership should have the high dollar techs who know their stuff about the brand they work on.

347sc
06-22-2009, 11:44 PM
I charge an hour check on any customer pay job even if it takes 15 minutes. Also as far as dealers knowing everything . Not every car comes in has the same problem and there are a number of things that factor into problems you would never believe.
I have traced wires for hours to diag a tranny problem and found out it was a shorted tailight bulb. Would you have went instantly to the bulb? Hell no. And even with the latest and greatest equipment you still have to go thru the steps and that takes time. Not to mention all the electronics in a modern car/truck. The charts and classes we take and use get us in the general area but it is my job to make the right choice.
The low pressure discribed above could be a regulator,injector stuck open etc. And thats the other things you look for. I would rather rule out what it isnt then charge the customer for a repair that doesnt fix the problem

93cobra
06-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Castrucci Ford is the biggest joke of a Ford dealership I know of in our tri state.

Pitbull1052
06-23-2009, 07:50 AM
my uncle just did the exact same repair and it was about the same I think. But they told him it had two pumps is why it cost so much. Now I don't know if that's true or not on the duel pumps.......

NaomiDstangLvr
06-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't take my car to a dealer to get it fixed, their ridiculously high priced!

aperacer
06-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't take my car to a dealer to get it fixed, their ridiculously high priced!

having worked in the service department of a dealer for 14 years now and fixed alot of those other places repairs...but you get what you pay for....thats just my two cents worth.....

347sc
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
my uncle just did the exact same repair and it was about the same I think. But they told him it had two pumps is why it cost so much. Now I don't know if that's true or not on the duel pumps.......

Yes some do have 2 pumps and some you have to buy the whole drop in unit complete because the pumps are house on in their own case.

+1 on Apes post:chug:

Mr.Moontang
06-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I am just going to say that I have been in the automotive industry for quite awhile now and that not all of us are crooks, some of us can sleep at night!!! I know for a fact that there are some issues with vehicles that have driven some of my tech's crazy...well crazier than they already are!

347sc
06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Lol Easy now Spoony.

Yep I sleep good, if I was a crooked tech I be sleeping on a big pile of money.

Timido
06-23-2009, 06:46 PM
having worked in the service department of a dealer for 14 years now and fixed alot of those other places repairs...but you get what you pay for....thats just my two cents worth.....

I agree 100% I have seen cars that came to the dealer with repair bills from other shops where they tried to shotgun repair the problem by throwing $100s of dollars of parts at the car without repairing it. Everyone thinks the dealer is the most expensive until they piss money away with other shops and dont even get their car fixed.

billy69mach
06-23-2009, 08:49 PM
my moms taurus would not start half the time just crank so i checked it out. it was getting no fuel. i told her it was the fuel pump so she took it to a local ford dealership. they tested it and said it was the fuel reg. they charged her like $400 for that. she picked the car up drove it to a store the same day shut it off. and when she tryed to restart it it just cranked . had it towed back to the same ford dealership. they checked it out said the fuel pump was the problem. and wanted $700 more. lol . most dealerships are crooks and they were ase certified:lol::lol::lol: dont think because its a dealership that they are great troubleshooters.:lol:

347sc
06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah we just wait to rip people off and hope they come back as repeat customers.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you should have fixed your moms car instead of letting her take it to a stealership.:bigthumb

billy69mach
06-23-2009, 09:14 PM
i should have. but car has like 15,000 miles on it and she thought they new what they were doing.lol

347sc
06-23-2009, 09:22 PM
15,000 miles? What year? out of warranty?

billy69mach
06-23-2009, 09:31 PM
01 lol

347sc
06-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Doesnt drive it much huh?lol

CNTLOSE
06-24-2009, 10:12 AM
That is outragous...but they should have called and received an okay before starting the work. If they did not I would file a complaint with Ford.

As far as Castruci...they are assholes. We bought my wife a brand new Civic from Castruci Honda in 2000. When I went to rotate the tires the first time two wheel studs broke off...with hardly any force. Took it to the stealership and they said they were not the right lug nuts for the car and it would not be a warranty repair because I had changed the lug nuts...which I had not, why would I? I reminded them the car was a dealer trade from IN and maybe it was done while at that stealership...they still did not care. Took it to Hidy Honda and they fixed the studs and put the correct lug nuts on all under warranty.
Bottom line...Piss on any Castruci Stealership!

NUTTSGT
06-25-2009, 07:24 AM
any update?

MystichromeVert
06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I never did get the breakdown of the total, but since they paid it I'm assuming they gave the ok to have the repair performed. Haven't really talked to them since Monday.