PDA

View Full Version : IMRC Delete Plates

kmp
06-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok, I had a question and wanted some feedback on this...

I am getting ready to do the IMRC Delete Plates on my 1998 Cobra. It's a tird old car that has 113 clicks on it... (113,000 miles).

I am curious as to what is the best way to turn out the Check engine light since I am going to be removing the whole unit...(IMRC Control Unit, Cable, and Butterfly Plates).

Should I purchase a Tuner, or is there another trick so I do not have to spend $300 - $400 on a tuner. I just spent $249 ont the plates from MMR and $60 on the gaskets.... So just looking for the budget route...

This is also going in as a tech article on our site, I will be taking pictures and if you like I can make a special mention / thanks to all of those who would like to help...

- Thanks

cstreu1026
06-23-2009, 06:33 PM
The tuner is the best way to go.

Waffles
06-24-2009, 05:18 AM
Wow, that's a lot of money to spend on something you can do yourself for $5 worth of JB Weld and 30 minutes. Especially since the IMRC plates on the 98 are plastic. The gasket, I'm pretty sure, is reusable (assuming it's the same as with the aluminum plates).

You can connect the two cables together with a spring to give them tension. You won't get a CEL because the computer thinks it's all good. I wouldn't (and didn't) do it this way myself, but I've seen it done. Also, as I understand it, when the IMRCs are deleted in the ECU, it also backs a whole shitload of spark out. Make sure your tuner knows it needs to be added back in.

kmp
06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, so your suggesting something you would not do yourself? :(

Yeah I know it was like rape for the IMRC Deletes from MMR, but it is very much a quality piece..... I appreicate the information on the Spark adjustment. Do you think I could correct this with a tuner? Or would I have to take it to the dyno, to have the A/F ratio and timing dialed in?

kmp
06-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I am sorry, I do not mean to sound negative in any way... I am curious though, did you completely remove the actuator (cables and box) or did you leave them attached to the intake....?

Waffles
06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Ok, so your suggesting something you would not do yourself? :(

Ummm.... No. I was simply answering your question so that you could make YOUR OWN informed decision. Lots of other folks feel that IS the best way, I don't. Your car, your choice.

Yeah I know it was like rape for the IMRC Deletes from MMR, but it is very much a quality piece..... I appreicate the information on the Spark adjustment. Do you think I could correct this with a tuner? Or would I have to take it to the dyno, to have the A/F ratio and timing dialed in?

If it works well, it's quality. The MMR plates are aluminum, as are my 96 plates. They changed them to plastic, I believe, because they retained less heat. Doesn't matter if they look pretty or not, those things are so buried in the valley between those huge heads you can't see them anyway.

You have to take it somewhere to have the spark added back in unless you have the software to write the tune to upload.

I am sorry, I do not mean to sound negative in any way... I am curious though, did you completely remove the actuator (cables and box) or did you leave them attached to the intake....?

Jerked it all out.