PDA

View Full Version : prob that happened long time ago

toddmustang
06-23-2009, 08:04 PM
well lets start with have little tick at idle but gets louder when you rev and dont run very well at idle but get up to 2500 and it dont seem to run to bad but have not ran car in about 3 years so what would you recommend doing oh and got such bad exhaust leak hard to tell where tick is coming from

fst 5pto
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Probably from the headers. I remember I had this issue a few years back and thought it was a ticking issue. Make sure all header bolts are tight and gasket is good.

facemelter71
06-24-2009, 11:04 AM
So you just threw a battery in it and started it?
Is it a tractor you had sitting in the barn? You have no discription of what this thing is or what you did to fire it up since it has been sitting.
We need a little more to go off of then it ticks.

What year make and model.
Mods done to car.
New fuel?
Where is the exhaust leak coming from.
Where is the tick coming from,what side of the engine.Is it a low tick "crank" or a high tick "cam and lifters".

Pitbull1052
06-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I think mine's doing the same thing, almost like it's missing?

toddmustang
06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
ok guys sorry for short start i really did not have time last night but here we go

my brother was driving around 2 and half years ago got hot he thinks around 250 maybe little hotter he turned off and left fan on
my dad actually owns car and he told him to drive it home the next morning so he did been sitting there since cause they both thought it was real bad.

used to be my car and i put the cam in the gt40 heads and intake and all kinds of bolt ons and yes it has headers and i think they were leaking for a while.

and i did put battery in and checked all fluids and all that but i only ran it for short time then pulled motor oil out cause i thought it was high and maybe had water in it.

but drained oil and no water just black oil

so put new in checked again and on dip stick still reads high but i know i put right amount in.

started up ton and no tick at idle but does tick when you go up in rpms

guy at work told me to check temp of exhaust at the headers and i did tonight and all are same besides two of them on front pass side are about double what rest of them are 2nd one back not as bad as first one toward front of car pass side.

that is side where headers are leaking could the ticking be from that and would that make it run a little bad at idle to 2000 to 2500 maybe.

thanks you guys i used to be on here all the time but lost interest in mustangs and started boating now i just want to fix dads mustang cause he has no clue on it and i could drive it when i want.
thanks again.

toddmustang
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
1990 lx mustang
302 stock block
cam dont rem what it is but pretty big lift not dur
gt40 heads and intakes
bunch of bolt ons
and hard to tell where tick is coming from
because the exhaust leak on pass header

stang5slow
06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
my car ticks from the passanger side right behind header, and its because it needs a new gasket, i'd replace that, facemelter told me about ones they got at autozone, there like 30 bucks and thick and there realy good

facemelter71
06-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Percy's header gaskets.
Fix the problems that you know are there.Such as the exhaust leak.That will tell you where the tick is coming from.
Did you change the oil filter? How many quarts and what type of oil?
The running issue could be due to a number of things.
1.We know that it sat.Did you change the plugs? What kind of condition are the plug wires are in?
Check cap and rotor for corrosion.
2.It is possible that a lifter lost some oil and is currently ticking untill it pumps back up.May take a while.
3.Ticking can also be from exhaust.Small hole from rust or some thing can mimic a metal sound.
4.Same fuel that was in it 2.5 years ago is now varnish.It WILL NOT run right untill all the old fuel is out and replaced with fresh gas from the pump.Not the stuff set aside for the mower in the back of the garage with the cap missing off of the can.Fresh gas.

toddmustang
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
thanks alot i got new header gaskets the percy and how would you drain the fuel out i am not sure how to do that the plugs and wires where pretty new before it sat.

i need to drain gas
i did change oil and filter with mobile one syth what i have always used in it since i got it.

i have had car for about 10 years now between me and my dad.

i need to check cap

ok going out to work on it if i can tired of all this heat

stang5slow
06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
take the gas tank off and drain it, if you have fuel in the tank, it will be perty heavy depending on how much fuel is still in it

toddmustang
06-25-2009, 05:02 PM
no way to syphone it out

and should i take the old header gasket off to before i put the new percy on.

facemelter71
06-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Your varnished Fuel is a huge problem.It almost turns into a really thick Kerosene like nasty shit.It clogs fuel pumps,filters and injectors.And smells horrible.
You have to drop the tank and dump the fuel out as it is completely nasty.It has most likely turned the inside of the tank a wonderful yellow color also.

Replace the old crap fuel with fresh fuel and throw some new plugs at it.
I would have used conventional motor oil and ran it for a day and changed it again.Since Synthetic gets pricey,thats why I would use conventional.
Swap the header gaskets and that will seal up the exhaust leak and tell you where the tick is coming from.Could be from the exhaust leak.
I think alot of your problems are coming from the varnished fuel.

Nop,no way to siphon.Pretty sure there is a check ball in the filler neck.Try it though,I could be wrong.
And yes,pull the old header gasket out and scrap off old remnants and slap the new one on there.

toddmustang
06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
ok what is the easy way to drop the fuel tank never done that and prob not a easy way but it should be pretty empty so not to heavy and thanks again you guys.

facemelter71
06-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Small clamp thing holds the filler neck into the tank,thats attached to the tank with a small bolt.Two tank straps that are bolted in the front of the tank.You will need a jack if there is alot of fuel in it,or to at least hold the one side up while you work on the other.
Make sure lines dont get hung up,if they get tight when you start lowering tank,then unplug them.
Ive circled the small clamp bolt and wiring harness that needs unclipped from tank.
Then follow the straps forward and remove the two bolts.Tank is free,be carefull kinda awkward.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1296889/tank2.JPG

toddmustang
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks man you are alot of help.

stang5slow
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
ya, hes perty smart when it comes to mustangs, he almost always has the answers, helped me in big ways too