PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filler cap light on and gas leaking?

5.0calypso93lx
06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I've started to notice a few fuel symptoms recently on my car, and I knew there was a problem when my fuel filler cap light came on yesterday.

At first, I started to notice a fuel smell coming from my car and my g/f mentioned it as well since she was always on the passenger side.

Then a few days later, I decided to fill the car up like I always do. I always just set the handle on the pump, and go inside and pay, which I know is probably a bad idea. Well, when I went back outside to the car to hang up the pump, that's when I noticed a pretty good sized pool of gas on the ground under the car on that side. I looked around the filler neck on the inside of the fuel door and nothing was wet. The quarter was perfectly dry as well as the bumper.

I bent down to look underneath the car and that's where I could see fuel dripping from where the fuel filler neck goes into the tank. I couldn't really tell if it was coming from there as it was pretty wet and that was the lowest point. I just assumed that these cars shouldn't be filled up all the way.

And that's when my light comes on on my dash yesterday....

Is this a common problem on these cars? Anyone know if there is something I can check??

cstreu1026
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
There is a rubber seal where the filler neck goes in to the tank that breaks down over time. Mine had to be replaced a couple of years ago.

facemelter71
06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Needs a new tank donut for the filler neck.

5.0calypso93lx
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
How hard is it to change? Would that really cause a light on the dash???

347sc
06-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes because the ecm would see it as a vapor leak and would flag it think the gas cap was loose.

CNTLOSE
06-30-2009, 04:56 PM
How hard is it to change? Would that really cause a light on the dash???

No they are easy to change...with an almost empty tank. All you need to do is drop the tank pull the old one off, and put the new on. It also helps to have second set of hands. If that is not an option a jack will be your friend.

Good Luck!

347sc
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM
You can do it by taking the filler neck out without dropping the tank.

5.0calypso93lx
07-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. This thing is leaking badddd :mad:

I put just $25 of 93 in yesterday and a guy pulled up beside me and said something was dripping out all over the place....

Blkcobra01
07-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Very common problem as they wear and deteriorate over time there not bad to do at all did one on a 94 a year ago.

Goldenpony
07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Sounds pretty dangerous to me. One spark and......

5.0calypso93lx
07-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Sounds pretty dangerous to me. One spark and......

Agreed, but this car is gone now. :D