PDA

View Full Version : Trying to replace rear seal on a C-4

winner70ta
07-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Hope this is one that gets a "Oh, that's easy" answerer. My C-4 on the '69 stang has the seal bad at the end of the tail shaft where the trans yoke mates up. The rubber is shot and we all know that a holey rubber is a bad thing :D How do I get this thing out? I have a new one to install and I can see that it will press fit into place but seeing how to remove the old one....having problems here. TIA!
-Bob

NXcoupe
07-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Use a screw driver or a chisel to get up under the edge of the seal and gently pry out on it until it comes out. Use something to drive the seal in that has a hole large enough to clear your output shaft. An old second gear out of a T5 or Tremec works well for me, can't remember which one I use, it's on my tranny bench.

winner70ta
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Cool! Thanks Michael and keep safe.
-Bob

Black Horse
07-07-2009, 10:15 AM
A bit of a hint - take the screwdriver and a hammer and bend the side of the seal towards the outputshaft in several places, makes prying it out a whole lot easier. Just be careful not to damage the housing

NXcoupe
07-07-2009, 12:26 PM
What he said, very well put! You're welcome. Ever sell that vert of yours?

winner70ta
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
What he said, very well put! You're welcome. Ever sell that vert of yours?
If you mean me with the vert, yeah, that is the one that CNTLOSE had been modding :bigthumb

winner70ta
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
A bit of a hint - take the screwdriver and a hammer and bend the side of the seal towards the outputshaft in several places, makes prying it out a whole lot easier. Just be careful not to damage the housing

Thanks!

winner70ta
07-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Yay! Got the old one out finally. Being stuck in there for over 40 years it wasn't wanting to leave. Neighbor took a block of wood and the new seal and made a jig for to get it installed. Worked great! Now, that miserable 40+ year-old speedo gear and cable :flipoff: does not want to come out of the trans housing so I sprayed the heck out of it with penetrating oil and walked away until later. So close and yet the little buggers pop up to mess with ya.

CNTLOSE
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Yay! Got the old one out finally. Being stuck in there for over 40 years it wasn't wanting to leave. Neighbor took a block of wood and the new seal and made a jig for to get it installed. Worked great! Now, that miserable 40+ year-old speedo gear and cable :flipoff: does not want to come out of the trans housing so I sprayed the heck out of it with penetrating oil and walked away until later. So close and yet the little buggers pop up to mess with ya.

I know the feeling :lol: Glad to see you working on her!

Should have the 'vert back in the next day or so. I will post the dyno numbers then. :cool2: