PDA

View Full Version : "Younger generation has no passion for cars." WHAT? HOLD THE PHONE GRANDPA!!!!!!

redfirepearlgt
07-07-2009, 01:16 AM
Yeah, that was the consensus on an evening radio talk show I came across while traveling through Saganaw, MI about four weeks ago while out on a field service trip up near UP Michigan. This bone head on this talk show was discussing with callers about the lack of passion the "younger generations" have for hot-rodding and cars in general these days. Every one of the callers I heard were from men and women who were driving legally in the early to mid 60's or earlier on. I'll come out and say it, YES THEY WERE MOSTLY BABY BOOMERS!!!!!!

These people went on and on about the lack of passion we (the younger gen's) have for cars today because we don't do this or we don't do that, or because cars aren't what they were in the 50's and 60's (like this is our fault?) and so forth. Now correct me if I am wrong, but which generation would have been in their prime during the 70's when cars went to Shit???? Does Boomer ring a bell? No one my age (born 65) or younger was designing cars for the big three automakers during those times. We were all in grade school or Jr, High duringthat time. I don't recall as a kid in 70's and early 80's being asked if I perferred cars to have lower horse power, look like compact boxes and last 30,000 miles before being sent to the scrap heap.

There is as much passion today from the "younger generations" for cars as there ever was. Have cars changed? Yep they have. Some changes are better (fuel injection, 200+ HP four cylinders, super chargers) and some changes have been crap to say the least (lIke catalytic converters and 87 octane gas). While I am not a big Ricer fan or a big fan of the European auto industry, I still respect the passion that these people have for their cars and trucks. These kids have done some amazing things with todays technology. At the same time people of today have IMO, the utmost respect for the craft of hotrodding the way it was done in the days of yore.

If the passion for cars is gone, then explain to me the massive growth of interest in NASCAR, INDY, NHRA, IHRA, FORMULA ONE, etc. We love our cars. We pamper them, express our personalities through them, build them (or have them built), but all the same we love our cars. I know that I love my car. I have dreamed of owning a mustang for better than 35 years! I finally get my first one when I turned 40.

I am sorry this has ragged on to some degree, and I hope that this has stayed on the track of automotive passion and not turned political. Maximus is right with regard to what he was saying in his rant recently that I read. What I understood him to say was, "Hey let's keep the passion here focused on our love for our cars!!!!!".

I hope all of you 45-50 and younger can understand where this is coming from, especially those of you who have showed up at car shows or cruise ins and been turned away because your car is "too new" (like that has anything to do with passion?). Show people you love your mustang! or whatever you are driving. Thanks.

Mista Bone
07-07-2009, 01:47 AM
"so you think hot rodding is dead?"

Look it up on youtube.

Yes, we are all car nuts with different tastes. I remembered when I pulled off my first low 13's in the Civic, Vinny was asking me WTF and how?

Yes, I love the Honda's I've played with, but also love the "old steel" from the 60's and 70's, hope to own an older car again.....one day.....

NXcoupe
07-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I know where you are coming from. I have been turned away more than once at a car show with either my vert or my renegade coupe when it was a street car. Sucked for sure. Some folks feel if it doesn't have a carb on it, that it really isn't a hot rod. I disagree. I worked on carbed cars for years, and still do. Can rebuild holleys in no time. I used to really prefer them until I got hooked on efi. Bottom line is like you said, you work on what you can afford, and what breathes passion into your car addiction. I will have another older muscle car, and it will be either a carb or efi. Whichever works best for the project.
I see a difference in the way things were back in the day and now. Law enforcement stops any kind of crusing and congregating now, it didn't used to be that way, but then people weren't winning million dollar law suits for being stupid either! So, I guess things have changed in one way and stayed the same in lots of other ways.
I still can't wait to get home and jump in my vert and cruise around listening to the whine, but old farts think that since it wasn't built in the pre 70's, that it isn't a hot rod. Just wait till one asks for a ride.....

BigBadStang
07-08-2009, 09:51 AM
...but old farts think that since it wasn't built in the pre 70's, that it isn't a hot rod. Just wait till one asks for a ride.....

Take them for the RIDE OF THEIR LIVES!
Scare their old asses into having heart palpitations, give them a ride in the race car, and let them see "the sky"! :lol::lol:

Black Horse
07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I think that way of thinking came about with the dawn of the front wheel drive cars. Fast and Furious became the dividing line in the sand.

But let's face it....how many cars built after 1980 will survive to become "classics"?

04 Venom
07-08-2009, 10:37 AM
As a certifiable "old fart", who lived through the golden era of muscle cars, I much prefer the current generation of muscle/high performance cars. In comparison, cars from the 60s don't handle, brake or accelerate nearly as well as what you can buy today. Some of the fabled muscle cars were in 7 second range 0-60 and even the best were barely under 6 seconds. Aside from the performance issues, modern cars get far better gas mileage and have better driveability. Let's face it a Hemi Cuda or Boss 429 "from the day" would lose to a stock 2010 Mustang GT 0-60 and probably the quarter mile as well.

If I had tons of money, it would be nice to have a collection of classic muscle cars, but when it comes to driving them, give me something made today.

sean
07-09-2009, 12:29 AM
good point. If you had to pick 10 cars 1980 and up that you were sure would be a classic 30 or 40 years from now what would they be?
I would think mazda rx7 tt from 93 would make it as would the 93 cobra and the 2000 cobra R. I think the delorean and the 93 supra tt would be there, a handful of ss camaros and trans ams. A zo6 should be in there too. Not to easy to think of what would be the great cars from the 80s and 90s. How about a grand national gnx? On the same hand When the dz302 69 camaro came out did people say that was the car that will be around 30 years from now and will sell for 10 times the price its going for now? For that matter look at the nomad wagon??? I have seen those go for 50,000. You just never know. One thing I think is true is that back then the auto makers built them to last and built them so the new owner could work on them with a good set of tools. Now everything it plastic and you need to be certified just to take off the cover that gets you to the motor. I think we are selling the future short with less durable cars for them to collect and go nuts over.

Foxxx5oh
07-09-2009, 12:48 AM
As a certifiable "old fart", who lived through the golden era of muscle cars, I much prefer the current generation of muscle/high performance cars. In comparison, cars from the 60s don't handle, brake or accelerate nearly as well as what you can buy today. Some of the fabled muscle cars were in 7 second range 0-60 and even the best were barely under 6 seconds. Aside from the performance issues, modern cars get far better gas mileage and have better driveability. Let's face it a Hemi Cuda or Boss 429 "from the day" would lose to a stock 2010 Mustang GT 0-60 and probably the quarter mile as well.

If I had tons of money, it would be nice to have a collection of classic muscle cars, but when it comes to driving them, give me something made today.

the old fart hath spoken! take his word and make it law! :D

as far as era to era specifics though, i have owned a couple pieces of the 70's as well as 80-00's and i must say, coming from a modifiers standpoint, give me the old body, the new motor, and let me make a car that suits me...fuck what everyone else thinks, its my goddamn car, and if you dont like it, build me another one ya little prius driving geriatric fucks...i dont live in a place where i HAVE to drive a car because it is "safe" or "clean" or "efficient" you want safe? my stang has an airbag...you want clean? you dont see my tailpipes pouring smoke out of em, sure it aint no fuckin smart car, but that leads me into efficient...i see all of these commercials where automakers are BOASTING about figures UNDER 30 MPG on the highway in 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles...WHAT THE FUCK!!! my modified, 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 gets just under 36 highway miles per gallon...on AVERAGE i usually get more than most minivans and other sedans...tell me my shit burns too much fuel, that i am worse than an SUV driver i dont care, but tell me that i dont have enough passion for what im doing and that i wont stand by my car with pride...fuck you...fuck you right in the tail pipe of your little fucking hybrid that is going to do more damage to the earth when it falls apart than my good ol hunk of american steel...

fuck you and goodnight...

/rant

sean
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
ha ha..................... WELL SAID.

bestracing
07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
One thing I think is true is that back then the auto makers built them to last and built them so the new owner could work on them with a good set of tools.
Not true at all. Old motors were only built to last 100K miles and the tolerances on the machining was very crappy. Newer motors are built to last without much maintenance. The older vehicles you would have to set the Dwell, change plugs every 5K miles, tune the carb, constsntly replace gaskets (if you wanted a clean motor). True the bodies lasted a long time but the motors didn't. Like Foxxx5oh said "give me the old body, the new motor, and let me make a car that suits me..." That would truely be a long lasting car :bigthumb

Mista Bone
07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Thicker sheetmetal on old cars, but no coating = rust through in about same about of years, esp. with all the salt.

Ziebart was a big business back then.

Grandpa would just spray used gear oil from a dozer underneath, then ride around in the dust for and hour.

His 68 Ford Truck didn't have any rust when he died in 81, cab mounts were still even.