PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal or not

Steves LX
07-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Can anyone tell me what the law is in Ohio for exhaust. I now have single chamber flowmasters on the car and not only does it sound nasty it is down right loud. I haven't been stopped yet but I am anticipating it. They loud no matter if your just cruising or getting on it. My complete set up is BBK Longtubes with an X pipe and a set of flowtubes welded up to the mufflers whick have turndowns on the outlet side and end right at the rear axle. Any help would be great ecspecially from any ohio police officers that are on here.

NXcoupe
07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
It's illegal, turn the keys over to me now to avoid any further consequences....

rpppaprp
07-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I would love to hear how it sounds Steve. Next time i get over that way i will stop in to hear it.

facemelter71
07-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Dont do anything stupid,you will be fine.

sean
07-08-2009, 11:17 PM
I have had many loud cars. When I was in my early 20s I had a mustang with supertrapps. E check made me take off the caps so they could test it and the caps wouldnt go back on. I got pulled over in that all the damn time. I think it was because I would be at the mall late and out late at night making noise and looking like I was up to no good. I am 36 now and my big chevy truck has a pipe coming down from the motor and stopps half way back. No cat, muffler, nothing. Its lifted so when your next to me you get all that blasted in your window. As I dont think its cool, I do find it funny on occasion. I have been next to police all over and nothing. I guess if your not acting like a dumbass and you look over 19 they will pretty much leave you alone. Besides how loud is a freaking harley?
Just my 2 cents

Steves LX
07-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Yeah I feel the same way. Half these kids nowadays running around with there damn bass turned up so loud you can hear them coming a mile away. I was trying to find stuff on this earlier and really couldn't come up with anything other tan it is illegal to modify the exhaust on a car to make it louder. You cant modify an exhaust to something different than what was factory on it unless it meets the same standards. Not sure how true this but just wanted something that was legit like the ORC or something.

Aweasel
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
well technically removing the cats is illegal but this ain't california. I think the amount of catless, louder than stock cars on the road totally out numbers cops and they have more important shit to worry about around here. As for the harley thing, yea...not much out there louder than those guys because they make it a point for everyone to hear em

chad393na
07-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Damn, now I can't wait to hear it!

Blackpony
07-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I have the same setup and i have only been stopped by Newtown PD once. The officer liked the sound and only gave me a citation

BradleyGT
07-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I believe unless you are in a noise ordinance area there is no law against being to loud but I still wouldn't go around acting like an idiot drawing attention to myself. I have a pretty loud exhaust too. I have a BBK o/r X with 40 series Flowmasters.

facemelter71
07-09-2009, 08:28 AM
He has single chamber flows.Probly 5 times louder than regular 40's.

I ran short tubes,Mac O/R-X and some dynamax bullet's with dumps that was louder than almost anything.I never got pulled over.But there again,I didnt push the pedal to the water pump all the time.

BradleyGT
07-09-2009, 08:34 AM
He has single chamber flows.Probly 5 times louder than regular 40's.

My bad I guess I missed that.

Stangman
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
It's okay Steve... My Lincoln is straight-piped... Hollowed cats and all... :D

Newtown PD tailed me the other night on my way back from Norwood... I practically tip-toed on the throttle to get thru there until he was out of his jurisdiction...

i think I coulda took that Charger anyway hahahaha

kennebellcobra
07-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Damn, now I can't wait to hear it!

It sounds pretty mean:eek:

Stangman
07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
It sounds pretty mean:eek:

I'll agree to that, I had the "drive-by test" performed on me the next morning when we were both on our way to work, lol

firestang70
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
If you drive thru my territory pal I will pull you over and confiscate it! And no I won't give it back. Don't ask now, you wanted your car louder than mine and now you got your wish! I can't wait to go for a ride.

rpppaprp
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
If it sounds anything like firestang70's car it has to be badass. That blue beast is the best sounding car I have ever heard. By the way guys, if you find yourselves with noyhing to do this saturday, there is a cruise-in in Seaman from 6 pm to 9 pm. Should be some real nice cars there.

BigB96
07-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I have an off -road x pipe with no mufflers on my car, once it hits about 2800 rpm's it screams. Its not so bad at cruising speed though. Never had any problems with the fuzz, did have a hamilton county deputy in downtown traffic ask me what i had done to the exhaust cause he liked it. I was kinda worried to tell him the truth!lol

CNTLOSE
07-09-2009, 03:26 PM
This is what the state law says on exhaust:
4513.22 Mufflers.
(A) Every motor vehicle and motorcycle with an internal combustion engine shall at all times be equipped with a muffler which is in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cutout, by-pass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway. Every motorcycle muffler shall be equipped with baffle plates.

No person shall own, operate, or have in the person’s possession any motor vehicle or motorcycle equipped with a device for producing excessive smoke or gas, or so equipped as to permit oil or any other chemical to flow into or upon the exhaust pipe or muffler of such vehicle, or equipped in any other way to produce or emit smoke or dangerous or annoying gases from any portion of such vehicle, other than the ordinary gases emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine under normal operation.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

You can also have local laws similar to loud stereos as well.

RyanR
07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
You will be fine Steve. I have basically the same set up on my car and they never messed with me.

mailman
07-10-2009, 12:42 PM
There is a Db spec in the ORC both for idle and for 35mph @50ft. The law also states that the car must be equipped with all emission control systems as per stock, including catalytic converters, and that they be operable and untampered.

thecollector
07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
3704.16 Prohibiting tampering with motor vehicle emission control systems.
(A) As used in sections 3704.16 to 3704.162 of the Revised Code:

(1) “Tamper with” means to remove permanently, bypass, defeat, or render inoperative, in whole or part, any emission control system that is installed on or in a motor vehicle.

(2) “Motor vehicle” has the same meaning as in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code.

(3) “Emission control system” means any system designated by the United States environmental protection agency as an emission control system under Title II of the “Clean Air Act Amendments.” “Emission control system” includes any device or element of design of the system.

(4) “Clean Air Act Amendments” has the same meaning as in section 3704.14 of the Revised Code.

(5) Notwithstanding section 3704.01 of the Revised Code, “person” has the same meaning as in section 1.59 of the Revised Code.

(B) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell, offer for sale, possess for sale, advertise, manufacture, install, or use any part or component intended for use with or as part of any motor vehicle when the primary effect is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative, in whole or part, the emission control system;

(2) Introduce a leaded fuel into a motor vehicle that is designed, manufactured, or certified by the United States environmental protection agency to use only unleaded fuels;

(3) Tamper with any emission control system installed on or in a motor vehicle prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser;

(4) Violate any rule or order the director of environmental protection adopts or issues under section 3704.161 of the Revised Code;

(5) Refuse to permit the director or his designee to inspect any motor vehicle or documents as provided in division (A) of section 3704.161 of the Revised Code.

The sale, offering for sale, possession for sale, advertisement, manufacture, installation, and use of a part or component in violation of division (B)(1) of this section all constitute separate offenses.

(C) No person shall knowingly do any of the following:

(1) Operate a motor vehicle that has been tampered with if the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine has been certified by the United States environmental protection agency as meeting federal or California emission control standards;

(2) Sell, lease, rent, or offer to sell, lease, or rent, or transfer or offer to transfer title or a right to possession of a motor vehicle that has been tampered with;

(3) Tamper with any emission control system installed on or in a motor vehicle after sale, lease, or rental and delivery of the vehicle to the ultimate purchaser, lessee, or renter.

The sale, lease, rental, and offer to sell, lease, or rent, and other transfer or offer to transfer of title or a right to possession of a motor vehicle in violation of division (C)(2) of this section all constitute separate offenses.

(D) Division (C)(2) of this section does not apply to either of the following:

(1) Any person who sells, leases, rents, or offers to sell, lease, or rent, or transfers or offers to transfer title or a right to possession of a motor vehicle that has been tampered with if the person is acting as a motor vehicle auction owner, a special auctioneer, or a salvage motor vehicle auction and if the person holds a current and appropriate license to engage in those activities issued under Chapter 4517., 4707., or 4738. of the Revised Code;

(2) The sale, lease, rental, or offer to sell, lease, or rent, or transfer or offer to transfer title or right to possession of a motor vehicle that has been tampered with if the vehicle is titled with a salvage certificate of title issued under section 4505.11 of the Revised Code.

(E) Notwithstanding divisions (B)(1) and (3) and (C)(3) of this section, it is not a violation of those divisions if either of the following conditions is met:

(1) The action is taken for the purpose of repair or replacement of the emission control system or is a necessary and temporary procedure to repair or replace any other item on the motor vehicle and the action results in the system’s compliance with the “Clean Air Act Amendments”;

(2) The action is for the purpose of converting a motor vehicle to use a clean alternative fuel, as defined in Title II of the “Clean Air Act Amendments,” the motor vehicle complies with the applicable standard adopted under Section 202 of that act when operating on the fuel, an emission control system is installed or replaced upon completion of the conversion, and the action results in the system’s compliance with that act when the motor vehicle operates on the fuel for which it originally was designed.

Effective Date: 09-27-1993

If they want to get you they can, but use some sense with the tall skinny pedal and you should be fine.

stang5slow
07-10-2009, 04:37 PM
dude, everyone talks about how loud it is, i wanna hear it too lol, VIDEO camera, i have shorties, O/R X and slp loudmouth ones-no tail pipes, and there pretty freaking loud, ive sat next to cops and had them tell me how good it sounded (i dont like it) but they never say anything about it being loud

CNTLOSE
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Honestly "most" cops do not care about loud exhaust. Usually it is some dumbass in a neighborhood at 2 am on a Monday night reving his import with a fart can that gets in trouble.

cobradon
07-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Let':popcorn:s hear some sound clips Smitty.