PDA

View Full Version : Smyth Machine shop

thecollector
07-17-2009, 04:16 PM
So I yanked a cylinder head off of my old mans coupe (66 inline 6) for sticking valves. He had let it sit the past few years and didn't drive it, of course the fuel varnished up and locked up the valves in the guides resulting in bent pushrods. So upon the referral of a few co-workers I run it up to Smyth and drop it off for a simple guide replacement as it had already been machined for two piece guides during the restoration. It has now been four weeks and I have gotten a complete run around regarding the approx. date (it's always tomorrow) for completion. I just got off the phone with them and it should be ready- you guessed it... Tomorrow.

:flipoff: This is for you Smyth.

This will for sure be the last dime they ever get from me.
If anyone is considering using them DON'T

facemelter71
07-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Which one is it at.I know one of the guys over at the one in Pisgah and might be able to expedite the work.

Dirtyd0g
07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I've had 131 do a couple heads for me without incident.
Alan

Mista Bone
07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
They dropped it or lost it.

1992MustangDW
07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I have a family member at the 131 store. He does really good work and did our heads. I can ask him tomorrow for you if its at the 131 store.

thecollector
07-18-2009, 11:37 PM
I've been dealing with "Glen" over at the 131 store. Seems like a nice guy on the phone but a month for valve guides is unheard of regardless of the quality of work. I'm sure he is doing a thorough job i just don't see how anybody can justify that lead time. The car has only had a few thousand miles since the resto, you can tell from the relative lack of carbon in the combustion chambers. The clean paint on it also made it easy to see that it wasn't a corn field find either. Now the car has to be on a transporter next week and I am crossing my fingers on being able to deliver a turn key vehicle.

When I asked for an exact time for completion I was told "we'll call ya when it's done." Now that I'm four weeks out I must seem like a phone stalker :cool2:calling over to check on it. I still have to blend the paint to match the block, slap it back on and get it all running for shipment Friday. Im counting on having to go thru the brakes I'm just crossing my fingers on the trans cooperating:(.

Steves LX
07-19-2009, 01:15 AM
I've dealt with Glenn over there and I have never had any problems with him. Just a thought for you next time you need some machine work done. I would reccomend Steve Barker fab and machine. He does excellent work and has a quick turn around. If you want his # for future reference PM me and I will give it to you. He's only about 15 minutes further up the road from where your head is now. I dropped off one of my AFR heads to him back in May for new valve guides and a new valve on one cylinder along with a valve job on the one damaged cylinder. I gave him the head on a Tuesday and he had to order the parts for it and I had it back Thursday that same week.

1992MustangDW
07-19-2009, 07:02 AM
yeah my cuisin is mike up there. Thats shitty it has taken this long.

mailman
07-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I have always taken my head work to Dave Lehr at Heads Up, and never have had any reason to complain. Try them next time.

Dirtyd0g
07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I've dealt with Glenn over there and I have never had any problems with him. Just a thought for you next time you need some machine work done. I would reccomend Steve Barker fab and machine. He does excellent work and has a quick turn around. If you want his # for future reference PM me and I will give it to you. He's only about 15 minutes further up the road from where your head is now. I dropped off one of my AFR heads to him back in May for new valve guides and a new valve on one cylinder along with a valve job on the one damaged cylinder. I gave him the head on a Tuesday and he had to order the parts for it and I had it back Thursday that same week.

I'll second that. I too have never had any problems with Glenn either. However Steve Barker is my choice overall. He will take a little more because he is busy but he will tell you straight and usually get it done before he says he will. I sent him my block on a monday. He told me it would be a week and I picked it up on thursday. He did some Supercoupe heads for a customer of mine that was supposed to be completely a stock job and that car is putting down amazing numbers and times for absolutely no performance mods. Faster than ford said they were and that is usually exagerated. Hucks has also done fine work for me but I had a problem with telling them exclusively not to run it through the swirl cleaner machine because I didn't want the additional cost and have my own parts washer. They ran it anyway and charged me the $75 to do it even after they agreed not to. The work however from all 3 places has been good. I prefer Steve is my choice for several reasons however.
Alan

thecollector
07-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll call over in a few minutes and see if it will be ready "tomorrow" or not.

thecollector
07-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Finally it's done!!!! Hopefully I'll never need more engine machining done but if I do I know where i won't be going. Thanks everybody for the machine shop references.

466CICOUPE
07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
I WORK AT SMYTH BUT GET MACHINE WORK ELSEWHERE.:lol:

TOO MUCH TIME AND NOT ENOUGH TURN AROUND.

thecollector
08-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I spoke to soon...... I go to blend the paint onto to it to match the block and its missing a F$%&ing valve seal. You would think after a month they would manage to get all 12 valve seals back into it:mad::mad::mad:.

This whole ordeal has made me close my parts account w/ them:( for my shop. How sad....

zlou363lx
08-10-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah my cuisin is mike up there. Thats shitty it has taken this long.

mike in the garage?

1992MustangDW
08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
yeah mike, with the red notch and big block

zlou363lx
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
yeah mike, with the red notch and big block

he did the wiring on my mustang. he's a good guy