PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle title question

RACEME
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM
a buddy of mine bought a Rupp 90 new in 2002 (Honda trail 70 clone). He never applied for the title, and now it seems that Rupp is out of business.

What can be done to title this thing in Indiana?

sean
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
call the dmv. Prob dont have a bill of sale either. Why are you worried about a title?

RACEME
08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
In Indiana, anything over 49cc has to have plates to be road legal. I have to plate my Rupp every year.

beefcake
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
In Indiana, anything over 49cc has to have plates to be road legal. I have to plate my Rupp every year.

he wasn't worried about plates the last 7 years?

Gene
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Did he get a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) when he purchased it? At least in Ohio, that's required documentation to file for title for the first time.

RACEME
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
he wasn't worried about plates the last 7 years?

no we mostly ride back roads, but he is selling it to another friend of mine who lives in town and will need plates.

RACEME
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Did he get a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) when he purchased it? At least in Ohio, that's required documentation to file for title for the first time.

Yes...lost it. Rupp is out of business now too.

Gene
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes...lost it. Rupp is out of business now too.

First thing he needs to do (if he hasn't already), is contact the local clerk of court office (or whoever does the title transfers in Indiana). I'm betting that he's not the first person to have a problem like this over the years, it may be as simple as paying a fee/fine for not filing for title originally and having them run the frame number to make sure it's not stolen.

If not, then you may have to contact the receiver for the assets of Rupp. What state were they in originally? You may have to contact the Secretary of State for that state and fine out who is running the bankruptcy/dissolution process.