PDA

View Full Version : POR-15 vs Chassis Saver vs KBS Rust Seal

Paul408Notch
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
ok, so I read through some old threads and people seem to really like the Chassis Saver. I called KOI, but they don't carry it anymore. He said they only carry something called KBS Rust Seal. I tried looking around on the interwebs and I really can't find much info between them all. Has anyone used this new stuff, and are there any preferences between the three? From what I can see, there isn't much difference, but before I spend $40 on a quart of whatever it is, I'd just like some opinions.

I'm getting some rust in the shock towers at the frame rails, and I'd just like to take care of them sooner than later, so I'd like to knock this stuff out within the next week or two.

plated
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
por15 hands down,i tried them all i've seen por15 used on and oil tank thats been in the weather for 10yrs not one spot comeing back,i just used $380 worth of it on an original 69 boss on the underside and the inside,it locks the moisture out,i swear it took 2 months to wear off my skin,and i've used alot of different paint in my days but por15 has me a true believer

RACEME
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
por15 hands down,i tried them all i've seen por15 used on and oil tank thats been in the weather for 10yrs not one spot comeing back,i just used $380 worth of it on an original 69 boss on the underside and the inside,it locks the moisture out,i swear it took 2 months to wear off my skin,and i've used alot of different paint in my days but por15 has me a true believer

yup por15 is the meanest stuff out there. I have an up opened quart of black if you want to use it Paul. Just order me a new one.

bobtsgt
08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I did my engine bay in the chassis saver stuff I got from eastwood. Came out beautiful for a rattle can job. Took one can on primer and high gloss and I got 2 coats out of each. Never tried the por15 but have heard good things.

mustangboy
08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
The only knock I've heard on the por15 is that over time it will lose its shine and get chalky. I used the chassis saver on my old coupe and it went on real nice but like Chris said if you get it on your hands it will take a while to get it off. I will say that I have a few drip spots on my garage floor that have been there for a few years now from the chassis saver, I've tried scraping it off but it is stuck there.

Stangman
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I've never seen Chassis Saver in a spray can Bob... thats odd

I'd like to try Por-15... that stuff is pricey though...

I've used Chassis Saver, and it seems thin, but went on well. I picked up the stuff that KOI sells now and I havent opened it yet.. I'm curious how well it works. Dougie (capristang) says its just as good.

Rick93coupe
08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
My new car's underside is done in chassis saver and it looks good, I've used POR15 in the past with great results. I'm actually getting ready to do my rearend with it. It sort of levels itself out when you brush it on and turns out great.

Jrcmutang
08-05-2009, 04:56 PM
i did my whole rear end in POR-15 and couldnt be happier, brushed it on with no steaks

5.0calypso93lx
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Also a Por-15 fan here. I know it's expensive, but Classix down in West Chester carries it in the "six packs", which you get six small cans for instead of having to worry about opening one can, and refridgerating it after you open it. You also get more actual material this way as well for I believe the same or very close to the same price as the big can.

I've done the rear end and several suspension pieces on the mustang, and every suspension piece on my MR2 was done with this stuff.

If you prep it right, it should last a lonnngg time.

1986GT
08-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Another por-15 fan here. Used it on a lot of stuff with awesome results. I was told by the rep I buy from though that you don't want to use it on any spots getting direct sun all the time because uv rays break it down over time. You can paint over it with great success but you have to wait till it is almost dry (really tacky) otherwise paint won't stick to it very well. I did a frame once and was beating on the stuff with a hammer and it wasn't chipping or cracking.

Paul408Notch
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Sounds like some good stuff no matter which I try. I guess I'll just have to call around and see who has what.

mailman
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I have used POR15 extensively, and have always had wonderful results.
Great stuff- nothing else I have used even comes close.

satan jamez
08-05-2009, 09:01 PM
POR-15 is great. I've used it many occasions with excellant results :bigthumb

NUTTSGT
08-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I've used POR a few times and like the stuff too.

Here's my advice using the stuff.

Wear nytrile ( or latex) gloves.

If theres a chance you under the car brushing it on, wear safety glasses. If the stuff takes that long to wear off your skin, I'd hate to get it in my eyes.

Don't open the can like normal. Take a small punch and knock 2 holes (oppisite sides) in the bottom of the can, pour out what you need. Run a sheetmetal screw in the holes,it'll seal up around the holes. ( if the screws are self tapping, no need to punch holes)

I've always brushed it on, it flattens out nicely. If you spray it, better make sure you clean that gun fast and thouroughly. When it gets hard, I'm not sure you'll ever use that gun again.

satan jamez
08-07-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm in the middle of doing the whole underside of my truck in POR-15 and it's looking super nice. Like NUTTSGT said about covering up well is a good idea. You will have a bitch of a time getting that off your skin.

Buckeye
08-08-2009, 02:26 AM
i did my cougar in kbs and am very happy with it, looks good and sticks very well also it is sold from cincinnati

DeckerEnt
08-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I used chassis saver on my car. The whole underside and the gas tank. As you may have read, I had a small fire. Well, pressure washed it and there are no signs of burn damage to that area of my coupe. I give 2 thumbs up for sealing everything under a car. The 3 products you are asking about do pretty much the same thing. Which ever you can find, get. I got the satin finish for mine. Not too shiny but not dull either. Cleaned up really well. Good luck with your project!!

Maximus
08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Sounds like some good stuff no matter which I try. I guess I'll just have to call around and see who has what.

You can go with me on Monday when I go get some more paint. Guy has chassis saver in stock.:)

1986GT
08-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Don't open the can like normal. Take a small punch and knock 2 holes (oppisite sides) in the bottom of the can, pour out what you need. Run a sheetmetal screw in the holes,it'll seal up around the holes. ( if the screws are self tapping, no need to punch holes)

Another way that works well is to open the can like normal but before you put the lid back on put a peice of plastic wrap over the opening first. Seals well and the lid won't be stuck next time you open it. I do this and put my cans in the refridgerator and they keep farely well.

DeckerEnt
08-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Did the plastic on mine too. Worked well for a while. But once you get some on the rim and the lid, it is stuck for good!!! I had to split the last can open and pour it into another container when I used the last of mine.

Paul408Notch
08-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I ended up in a place that had Chassis Saver today, so I picked up a can of that. Once it cools off a bit, I'll give it a shot.