PDA

View Full Version : Four Olds 442's stolen near Indy... pass the word

MystichromeVert
08-12-2009, 08:00 AM
http://www.competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11288&Itemid=6

RARE OLDS 442’S STOLEN
Written by Bobby Bennett
Tuesday, 11 August 2009
Thieves Struck In Night at Hotel; $10,000 Reward Offered …

The mere thought is enough to sicken any car enthusiast.

Four musclecar enthusiasts were stranded at their hotels when thieves stole four rare Hurst/Olds on Friday evening during the 25th annual Hurst/Olds National Meet at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis.

Those close to the musclecar scene believe this was a calculated “hit” and not a random crime.

Linda and Orville Hardy were among the victims of this crime.

The Hardy’s told WISHTV.com, a local Indy television station, that they had woke early in the morning before a car club meet to shine their 1979 Hurst/Olds as they always do before the gatherings.

"We came downstairs, went outside and it was gone," the Hardys told www.wishtv.com. "I was very shocked, very surprised."

The thieves stole three other cars similar to the one the Hardys owned. Each of the cars has been valued in the 30 to 40 thousand dollar range.

Reportedly, according to hotel surveillance video, the thieves needed less than one minute to gain entry to a car, have it running and leave the parking lot. They used a white crew cab pick-up truck and drove into the lot and parked like a guest. One person exited the truck and hit the car; then both left. They repeated this scenario and didn’t raise suspicion.

Following is a list of the cars with unique features about each. All of the cars had a roof option.

1. 1979 Hurst/Olds black and gold
* Rare factory moonroof
* Rare black vinyl interior – driver’s seat has a small hole from a broken spring
* Chrome cover over the A/C pulley mounted with brass screws
* Crack in the RH corner of the black dash pad
* Switches mounted on the hood, trunk & doors from an old security system
* Lock to actuate the old system is still located under the left parking light.
* Also, parts in this car that may be sold separately: 4) posters of Linda Vaughn and a 1983 copy of Hot Rod magazine with Warren Johnson on the cover w/autograph

2. 1983 Hurst/Olds black
* T-tops
* All original 80K mile car
* Complete numbers matching car
* Maroon cloth interior
* Small crack (¼") in the dash by the VIN
* Eagle GT II tires with 500 miles
* Black and white authentic 1979 Michigan plate with a 1983 sticker

3. 1983 Hurst/Olds black
* T-tops
* Maroon cloth interior
* Aftermarket stripes are more orange than the correct red
* Jack storage decal in trunk has Doc Watson’s signature
* H/O emblem on the dash has Linda Vaughn’s signature with hearts
* Dash has minor crackling in the center area

4. 1984 Hurst/Olds silver
* Rare factory Moonroof
* Red light mounted in each wheel well for display purposes
* Snaps around the underside of the hood used for attaching a cover.

Anyone having information about any of these cars can contact Crime Stoppers at 317-262-TIPS or Judy Badgley at 517-645-7438 or djbadgley@gmail.com

RACEME
08-12-2009, 08:10 AM
The 79 was already found stripped.

satan jamez
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Holy crap! What the hell is up with that! You can't even enjoy bringing your own car to a show anymore??

Katmandu
08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
How do you have that amount of EXPENSIVE, RARE hardware parked outside and NOT have some folks doing Security ? :rolleyes:

CNTLOSE
08-12-2009, 09:14 AM
How do you have that amount of EXPENSIVE, RARE hardware parked outside and NOT have some folks doing Security ? :rolleyes:

...or at least put a club, kill switch, or something on it. Those GM cars are the easiest cars to steal.

facemelter71
08-12-2009, 11:25 AM
A club takes me about 4 seconds to take off of a steering wheel.With no power tools.

cobra429boss
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
A club takes me about 4 seconds to take off of a steering wheel.With no power tools.
:lol: Thats what i have heard from people. They are good to have but some people can work right threw them

DeckerEnt
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
That is a shame. People pour their blood sweat and tears into a car and some low rent steals it. Hope they catch them, hang them by their ankles and beat them to a bloody pulp. Then call the cops ....

CNTLOSE
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM

I know you can cut the wheel and several other things, but better than nothing. If at the most the may skip your car and go the next. Best cheap / easiest thing is pull the button from the dist...of course your column will still get peeled before they figure it out.

facemelter71
08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
The club isnt bad,but if I were a thief (and im far from one) the club wouldnt keep me from getting the car I want.Even if there is an easier different type of car next to it.All I need for the car with the club is your standard Ignition jigglers (GM is the easiest EVER) and about a 2 foot section of 1.5-2 inch pipe for the club.

Pitbull1052
08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I find it hard to believe these cars were worth 30-40K each I mean granted they are Hurst 442's but seems a little high to me..... still sucks no matter the value

thecollector
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
I find it hard to believe these cars were worth 30-40K each I mean granted they are Hurst 442's but seems a little high to me..... still sucks no matter the value

Im sure that's what they are insured for....

Face is right. If some wants a car bad enough they will get it regardless of safe guards, Even if you are standing beside it with a loaded gun. Alarms are useless and even kill switches don't stop a truck with a wheel lift. The best protection from theft is a good insurance policy and a low deductible....

NUTTSGT
08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Im sure that's what they are insured for....

Face is right. If some wants a car bad enough they will get it regardless of safe guards, Even if you are standing beside it with a loaded gun. Alarms are useless and even kill switches don't stop a truck with a wheel lift. The best protection from theft is a good insurance policy and a low deductible....

Ha ha ha that won't be cheap.

bestracing
08-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Ha ha ha that won't be cheap.

It is when you have collector car insurance which each and everyone of those cars qualify for. I have it on my 86 T/A for $10K coverage and it around $300 for the year. Of course I do not drive it all the time either....

cstreu1026
08-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I didn't think those cars were called 442's.

bestracing
08-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Yea they made some later model 442's but they are nowhere near the power of the old muscle cars.